• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW Trainee Conductor Talent Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.thomas

Going to ring tomorrow, not bothered either way as I’m safe where I am atm. i just assumed I would be notified either way thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cfh123

Hi D.thomas my application still says online SCAAT stage and I successfully completed that and have since had an interview sit tight they will get in touch with you
Hi THE158. Are you waiting in the talent pool now? For which location? I've been in the Shrewsbury pool 3 wks so far. Early days!

AgentGemini

Well done and good luck my friends.

Both I and a friend who works in the industry desperate to leave his TOC applied for this. We are still both listed as "Shortlisting" but sounds like we have been been rejected by TfW. I can live with it; he is super frystrated as he has 5+years experience as a guard with said unwnated TOC already.

L401CJF

Established Member
Well done and good luck my friends.

Both I and a friend who works in the industry desperate to leave his TOC applied for this. We are still both listed as "Shortlisting" but sounds like we have been been rejected by TfW. I can live with it; he is super frystrated as he has 5+years experience as a guard with said unwnated TOC already.
I have tried to reassure you already numerous times to no avail, just be patient! If its not been formally rejected then you're still in the game. I know multiple people in the same position. The intake is huge in the company and there's just not enough courses to go round at the moment so things are taking much longer than usual.

Some people get through quicker for various reasons, could be down to location etc.

AgentGemini

I have tried to reassure you already numerous times to no avail, just be patient! If its not been formally rejected then you're still in the game. I know multiple people in the same position. The intake is huge in the company and there's just not enough courses to go round at the moment so things are taking much longer than usual.

Some people get through quicker for various reasons, could be down to location etc.

I understand. I can chill. I live between Wolverhampton and Birmingham, so they likely have scoured near to the depots first. :)

Matt11

I’m currently in the talent pool for Carmarthen depot. Heard back via email about 3 weeks after the interview. Really pleased to be starting something new. Hoping to get a start date soon, although could be waiting some time, after reading other people’s experiences. For anyone who has had a start date, how much notice did you have?
Many thanks

Rhian

Hello all - Anyone else had a start date of 11th April (my guess is that training would be in Cardiff)?

Also... Can anyone let me know what to expect on the 1st 12 wk training block?

Much appreciated..

Hello all - I've had a start date for training on the 11th April. I'm assuming training is in Cardiff. Anyone else have the same date?

Does anyone know what to expect on the initial 12wks training?

Many thanks
Fantastic news well done! Have you had medical yet?

I’ve been given a provisional training start date for the end of may but am waiting for my medical appointment now.

Ever hopeful!

Fantastic news well done! Have you had medical yet?

I’ve been given a provisional training start date for the end of may but am waiting for my medical appointment now.
Thanks Rhian - yes I've had the medical... Hearing test booth, eye sight test, drug test, height and weight and general medical background questions...

thematrix

Is anybody on the March intake?
Has the March intake started now or was it delayed? Is that for south Wales? Im in the talent pool for Conductor role at Machynlleth, North wales awaiting my start date and medical. Been waiting over a year now since beginning April 2021 when i passed my interview. I emailed for an update asking when my start date would be and just got told I am still in the talent pool and will be contacted as soon as an update is available. Originally i was told im in a 12 month talent pool and will look to be on a 2022 course but seems more towards 2023 now as been told they have extended my talent pool period for another 12 months. I know some other people in north wales have been told straight off their talent pool period is 24 months. Been getting worried now as others for the same depot talent pooled the same time have been moved ahead of me with their start dates for this year so im hoping i will be rolled over to the next course and not be forgotten about.

L401CJF

Established Member
Has the March intake started now or was it delayed? Is that for south Wales? Im in the talent pool for Conductor role at Machynlleth, North wales awaiting my start date and medical. Been waiting over a year now since beginning April 2021 when i passed my interview. I emailed for an update asking when my start date would be and just got told I am still in the talent pool and will be contacted as soon as an update is available. Originally i was told im in a 12 month talent pool and will look to be on a 2022 course but seems more towards 2023 now as been told they have extended my talent pool period for another 12 months. I know some other people in north wales have been told straight off their talent pool period is 24 months. Been getting worried now as others for the same depot talent pooled the same time have been moved ahead of me with their start dates for this year so im hoping i will be rolled over to the next course and not be forgotten about.
A course has started in the last few weeks with a few Mach conductors on it. Issue with Mach is its a small depot so I'd imagine the wait would be longer than other larger depots

thematrix

Hia thanks for letting me know. Thats good to know. Its encouraging to hear courses are now moving forward now throughout 2022 and 2023 since delays with Covid. I wasnt sure whether to be worried with others for the same depot talent pooled the same time having their course dates confirmed and im still waiting with nothing definite. I imagine will have to be patient until rolled over onto another course. I heard they were also advertising conductors for Pwllheli which is also close to me. I wasnt sure whether to apply online or just email and ask to be added to the Pwllheli talent pool as well as already passed interview stage.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Despite me applying for TFW trainee Conductor vacancy at Crewe last year and not hearing a thing, I emailed them a couple of months ago and unsurprisingly didn't get a response.

AgentGemini

They seem to be having a clearout of old administration - both I and a qualified friend heard back a couple of weeks ago. We were both rejected at sift stage, I can take it on the chin but he was gobsmacked given he already does the job.

L401CJF

Established Member
They seem to be having a clearout of old administration - both I and a qualified friend heard back a couple of weeks ago. We were both rejected at sift stage, I can take it on the chin but he was gobsmacked given he already does the job.
If he already does the job then surely he would be best applying for a qualified conductor vacancy if they pop up?

AgentGemini

If he already does the job then surely he would be best applying for a qualified conductor vacancy if they pop up?
He was willing to take the training, as his reasoning is that while safety crit is identical, the way some things are done might well be different. He was also willing to take a temporary salary reduction in exchange for getting the job. *shrug* I don't know. I didn't know TFW did Qualified vacancies.

L401CJF

Established Member
He was willing to take the training, as his reasoning is that while safety crit is identical, the way some things are done might well be different. He was also willing to take a temporary salary reduction in exchange for getting the job. *shrug* I don't know. I didn't know TFW did Qualified vacancies.
Not sure if they do to be honest, just curious is all! I know a few from Northern have moved over in recent months, but can't say I remember seeing positions advertised

thematrix

Despite me applying for TFW trainee Conductor vacancy at Crewe last year and not hearing a thing, I emailed them a couple of months ago and unsurprisingly didn't get a response.
Hia have you got the right email address for them? The one ive had correspondance from the office is

[email protected]

I was randomly sifting through my spam box and found an email there lol. What stage are you at now? Have you passed the interview waiting in the talent pool now? Thats where i am for Machynlleth Conductor. Ive found the best was to get a response is to use an existing email youve received from them and click reply to that one so they have the history of existing correspondance with you to hand and know where they are with you. Nothing wrong with asking for a status update. Just say you were advised to ping an email every few months to say you are still keen and interested to start and remain flexible for a start date. Say on the email please reply and respond to confirm I am still on file pending a start date as may need to renew talent pool period for another 12 months. They should reply within 48 hours to 2 weeks. Otherwise keep sending an email every month. Email on a Tuesday morning i find is the best day to get a response. Friday they are packing up for the weekend and Monday they have a backlog from the weekend. Avoid emailing around May bank holidays as they may be away. Hope this helps, kind regards.

Last edited:

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi Thematrix,

Thanks for your post.

The email you posted is indeed the same email that I have contacted for an update but not received any response from.

I applied for the Trainee Conductor vacancy based at Crewe last year and never received any further communication from TFW after they sent me the automated message acknowledging acceptance of my application.

thematrix

Hi Thematrix,

Thanks for your post.

The email you posted is indeed the same email that I have contacted for an update but not received any response from.

I applied for the Trainee Conductor vacancy based at Crewe last year and never received any further communication from TFW after they sent me the automated message acknowledging acceptance of my application.
Hi Voyagerdude220

The initial sift is done through the external recruitment agency Acorn Recruitment. If they have not passed on your details as a potential candidate to Transport for Wales, then it is unlikely Transport for Wales will have a record of you and will be unable to reply. If it has been over a year already and you still have not been invited to a SCAAT assessment then you may need to reapply. I think during this time they were in the middle of upgrading to a new external recruitment website where they were asking candidates to re apply using their new recruitment website. I think on this new one you cant view your online status anymore and just wait for them to reply back to you via email. I got confused myself going through the recruitment page on the website seeing one link to apply only to scroll down and be told to ignore that link and click on a different link instead to be transferred to a new website.

I think they tried to transfer the applicants from the old website to the new one but most were told to reapply on the new website anyway.
When I did it, I clicked on a link on the main website to be transferred to another recruitment page website. I then had to click on another link to be transferred to Acorn recruitment's website page to apply and upload CV. I got invited to complete an online application form and attach CV again. I received an email to confirm receipt of application. I got invited to do the online SCAAT test a month later.

I then waited five months without hearing anything for SCAAT verification test. I was told there were delays due to Covid and went straight to an online interview via Teams. They do say they will update you every two weeks but I had to send a few chaser emails for a status update. They did get back to me eventually to say they haven't forgotten about me and will get back to me for the next stage. If I didnt send a chaser email after 5 months I probably would not of been invited for an intereview. However timings can vary depending on how they manage different groups of candidates for different depots and roll over other separate groups to do their assessments at a later time for different talent pool groups.

A few years back I did apply for a Train driver job. I submitted the online application form and CV and got an email confirming receipt of the application. I waited a few months and didnt seem to hear anything. One day I was randomly sifting through My junk emails and spam box and found the dreaded rejection email there buried with everything else. Proper gutted, but later, I reapplied for the conductor role instead.

Keep an eye out for vacancies around Crewe and Chester on the website . Whatever is in commuting distance. Roles do tend to come up sporadically now and then. Any way in is a good way in even for customer service role, ticket seller or gate attendant etc. Re-do your CV and application form. (I rewrote mine from scratch) - on amazon.co.uk you can read the book "7 second CV" and there is also the book "why you?" (Both by James REED)

Sorry to hear if youve not heard anything all year. It is frustrating trying to find answers. I Hope all this is of some help. Do re apply and let me know how you get on.

Last edited:

thematrix

Hey everyone. I’m based in North Wales. Conwy area and applied for a trainee conductor role a while back now. I have been successful in my interview and I’m now in a talent pool until 2022.
Has anyone got experience being in a talent pool with TFW? How long was the wait? This is my first time and I kinda feel strange because it feels like nothings happening. Just don’t want them to forget about me because I really want this job. I have emailed to make sure my details were all up to date. But don’t wanna bug them and be annoying :D
Hiya, have you had your start date come through yet? Im still waiting for my start date for Machynlleth. Been waiting since April 2021 after another 12 month talent pool extension. Seems depots in North wales are much smaller with vacancies being far and few in between and takes longer. Any chaser emails sent just come back saying you are still in the talent pool.

L401CJF

Established Member
Hiya, have you had your start date come through yet? Im still waiting for my start date for Machynlleth. Been waiting since April 2021 after another 12 month talent pool extension. Seems depots in North wales are much smaller with vacancies being far and few in between and takes longer. Any chaser emails sent just come back saying you are still in the talent pool.
I think the best thing to do is to forget about it for the time being and wait patiently until you hear from them.

thematrix

I think the best thing to do is to forget about it for the time being and wait patiently until you hear from them.
Sound advice, thank you. Nothing more can do really other than wait and see. Difficult not to keep checking emails and missed calls etc. Thank you for taking the time to stay in touch. Will let you know how it goes if I hear anything in the future. Many thanks.

Railway1642

Hello all - Anyone else had a start date of 11th April (my guess is that training would be in Cardiff)?

Also... Can anyone let me know what to expect on the 1st 12 wk training block?

Much appreciated..

Hello all - I've had a start date for training on the 11th April. I'm assuming training is in Cardiff. Anyone else have the same date?

Does anyone know what to expect on the initial 12wks training?

Many thanks
Hi there,

Myself and partner are looking at relocating to Pembrokeshire and are looking at applying for the Camarthen Depot when it next opens up.

Do you know by any chance how many guards are based out of Camarthen and how often the guard role here comes up?

Also where is your training located when based at Camarthen?

How’s your course going?

Take care and all the best.

thematrix

Hi there,

Myself and partner are looking at relocating to Pembrokeshire and are looking at applying for the Camarthen Depot when it next opens up.

Do you know by any chance how many guards are based out of Camarthen and how often the guard role here comes up?

Also where is your training located when based at Camarthen?

How’s your course going?

Take care and all the best.
Nothing on the tfw website yet although I think you can sign up to email alerts should somthing come up or check back from time to time. Could be a couple of years before they start advertising to recruit again. They just had a huge intake with lots of peope currently in holding pools and waiting list for starting Even then those currently waiting need to wait until a vacancy suddenly becomes available before a start date is offered. Might be looking at a good few years mate.

Didnt you apply to Crewe last year? You still not heard anything yet since your original application form?

Last edited:

thematrix

Hopefully. I have a medical booked for next week, so if all well, I’ll be starting January.
Hiya soz for late reply. Been having to sort out my medical and contract and start the vetting process with a lot of paperwork.

Well done for being picked from the talent pool. Have you passed your medical as well? Hopefully see you on induction for the January start date course

Matt11

Hiya soz for late reply. Been having to sort out my medical and contract and start the vetting process with a lot of paperwork.

Well done for being picked from the talent pool. Have you passed your medical as well? Hopefully see you on induction for the January start date course
Hi, no problem. Yes, I passed the medical, and currently going through the same process as yourself. All paperwork has been completed, so just waiting to hear what’s next. I havnt spoken to anyone from the recruitment team on the phone, all via email. I sent them an email enquiring about accommodation/travel during the training, and they said someone would be in touch nearer to the date. :D Yeah, I will see you on the induction hopefully. Really looking forward to it, going into a new year with a new challenge.

Tevion539

Anyone else on here starting on the 9th January 2023 course?
The fact it's 2023 is slightly freaking me out! :D
Hi, no problem. Yes, I passed the medical, and currently going through the same process as yourself. All paperwork has been completed, so just waiting to hear what’s next. I havnt spoken to anyone from the recruitment team on the phone, all via email. I sent them an email enquiring about accommodation/travel during the training, and they said someone would be in touch nearer to the date. :D Yeah, I will see you on the induction hopefully. Really looking forward to it, going into a new year with a new challenge.
If I was further west I'd have been happy to car share along the way :lol: So glad to have gotten all the paperwork and refrencing out of the way. It was a lot to complete. I stupidly tried to get it all done in one day rather than spreading it out. Have you ordered your uniform yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.