• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW - Trainee Conductors - Various Locations (31/03/22)

L401CJF

Established Member
Positions advertised for Talent Pool trainee conductor vacancies for Chester, Pwllheli and Treherbert.

Closing date 08/04/2022

Posting individual links doesnt work for me at the moment.

Visit www.comeaboard.co.uk and filter role to conductor.

Good luck!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fran1878

"£27,043.94 increasing significantly once qualified"

A quick Google shows the average salary is £35k for a conductor for TFW - just wanted to see if anyone can confirm if that's accurate? Thanks.

DM1994

A quick Google shows the average salary is £35k for a conductor for TFW - just wanted to see if anyone can confirm if that's accurate? Thanks.
Believe they've just agreed a payrise in that region. In today's climate that's great for a conductor.

AgentGemini

Hoping the TfW experts can answer a question here:

Come Aboard website has this caveat: "Please note before proceeding, if you have been through the assessment or interview process for a Trainee Train Conductor role (in any location) within the last six months and were unsuccessful, we are sorry to say that we will not reconsider your application".

Does the six month rule count if you were rejected at the initial application stage? Asking as I've received a rejection for one post I applied for, and my friend already in the industry received a straight up rejection for the role he a)lives not ten mins drive from and b)is already employed in, for another TOC (and he is gobsmacked to pout it lightly).

Thank you.

L401CJF

Established Member

Correct
Hoping the TfW experts can answer a question here:

Come Aboard website has this caveat: "Please note before proceeding, if you have been through the assessment or interview process for a Trainee Train Conductor role (in any location) within the last six months and were unsuccessful, we are sorry to say that we will not reconsider your application".

Does the six month rule count if you were rejected at the initial application stage? Asking as I've received a rejection for one post I applied for, and my friend already in the industry received a straight up rejection for the role he a)lives not ten mins drive from and b)is already employed in, for another TOC (and he is gobsmacked to pout it lightly).

Thank you.
I would take that as yes you can apply if you didnt reach the interview or assessment stages - worth throwing one in anyway.

Somebody told me the initial sift is done by tech scanning for certain words and phrases at a lot of TOCs to dwindle down numbers before theyre even seen by human eyes. You can have all the experience in the world, but if its not put across in the right way with certain key words itll be thrown away. Whether TfW use this method or not is anyones guess.

Fran1878

Believe they've just agreed a payrise in that region. In today's climate that's great for a conductor.
Thanks!

Was wondering also, apologies in advance if this is answered regularly - I'm keeping an eye our for trainee driver jobs. If I were successful in applying as a conductor would that have any benefit on future driver applications?

DM1994

It's hard to say regarding driving, years ago I think it was heavily beneficial to be a guard and progress to a driver.
These days you get people from all walks of life progressing into driver positions. I think being a guard gives you a very good insight into the role and gives you a lot to work with so it's definitely a positive.

Thanks!

Was wondering also, apologies in advance if this is answered regularly - I'm keeping an eye our for trainee driver jobs. If I were successful in applying as a conductor would that have any benefit on future driver applications?

cw90

Had an interview this week and was told within 24 hours that I was successful, entered into a 12 month talent pool
Im guessing that interviews for these roles will be done first before the courses start? Makes sense all at once?

L401CJF

Established Member
Had an interview this week and was told within 24 hours that I was successful, entered into a 12 month talent pool
Im guessing that interviews for these roles will be done first before the courses start? Makes sense all at once?
Id imagine your interview would be for a 2022/2023 course start date. These current vacancies will probably be for the courses starting 2023/2024.

craigybagel

Established Member
Thanks!

It can certainly help. TfW and it's predecessors have a long history of recruiting trainee drivers from within their own ranks, and most courses normally have some former conductors on board. The conductor role provides a lot of transferable experience and skills for driving, and it can also help to get yourself known positively within the company. It's also slightly financially beneficial as during driver training you'll keep your conductor salary rather than dropping down to the trainee driver rate.

That being said, there are no guarantees. There are plenty of conductors who are trying to go driving and who for whatever reason can't get through the recruitment process. Even if successful, there can be a wait to get released for a drivers course if your depot is already short of conductors. There's also a rule that after completing conductor training you can't apply for a driver's job for 2 years.

Also, if you make it clear during the conductor application process that you're only interested in the job because you want to go driving ASAP it's not likely to do your chances much good!

At the end of the day - if you like the idea of being a conductor and have vague ambitions of going driving at some point in the future, then go for it. It's a very good job in it's own right. But if you're only interested in driving, then don't waste your time.

Danirax

Hi everyone, first time poster but been really useful reading all the threads and comments. Im awaiting a date for my medical with TFW for trainee conductor at Crewe for the July course. Anyone else?

Coming to the railway after 15 years as cabin crew, got fed up of the M6 so am swapping a 2.5hr drive for a 10 minute walk to the station!

Hope to meet some of you during training

thematrix

Positions advertised for Talent Pool trainee conductor vacancies for Chester, Pwllheli and Treherbert.

Closing date 08/04/2022

Posting individual links doesnt work for me at the moment.

Visit www.comeaboard.co.uk and filter role to conductor.

Good luck!
Im already in talent pool for trainee conductor since passing my interview for Machynlleth last year in April 2021. Pwllheli is also close to me. If they have been advertising this shall i send an email to ask if i can be in the talent pool for this as well so as soon as a vacancy arises with either i can get on a course. Wasnt sure if i applied on line it would jeopodise my current application if ive already passed my interview.

peris11

Hi everyone, first time poster but been really useful reading all the threads and comments. Im awaiting a date for my medical with TFW for trainee conductor at Crewe for the July course. Anyone else?

Coming to the railway after 15 years as cabin crew, got fed up of the M6 so am swapping a 2.5hr drive for a 10 minute walk to the station!

Hi Danitax,

I have my medical this week for the July course.

Danirax

Hi Danitax,

I have my medical this week for the July course.
Hi Peris 11, medical was fine, all very relaxed, just got the contract through so its all very real now! Was told at interview that training for all depots is in the same place before we all go our seperate ways..hopefully see you guys there

thematrix

Has the May course started now for conductors? Anyone on here on the May course? Hope its all going well in the first few weeks of training. Let us know how you are getting on. Im Still waiting for my start date lol

Jay247uk

For the people having medicals recently and course start dates for Crewe, may I ask when you were interviewed and got into (if you got) into talent pools? Currently in a talent pool from an interview in September last year, so wondering how many people ahead of me there might be in the talent pools
Thanks!

PaulJ

I realise the closing date has passed but wonder what else is in the overall package. What free travel arrangements are there? What commission is paid on ticket sales?

L401CJF

Established Member
I realise the closing date has passed but wonder what else is in the overall package. What free travel arrangements are there? What commission is paid on ticket sales?
Free travel on TfW only, 75%priv card for other tocs. 4% commission

thematrix

For the people having medicals recently and course start dates for Crewe, may I ask when you were interviewed and got into (if you got) into talent pools? Currently in a talent pool from an interview in September last year, so wondering how many people ahead of me there might be in the talent pools
Thanks!
Could be waiting between 1 year and 2 years is the normal going rate. Some people have been told straight away their talent pool period is 24 months after passing interview. I was told 12 months originally after passing my interview in April last year. I emailed for an update in February as was told they have extended my talent pool for another 12 months.

However, I have spoken with people who passed interviews same time as me applying for same depot who were contacted for start dates after waiting only 9 months to arrange medicals and start dates etc. I think these are people who live much closer to the depot than I do even though im still within an hour commute route myself.

With the sheer number of applicants people are being rolled over into later intakes for guard schools. Not necessarily a bad thing. I am hoping I will be rolled over onto the next intake soon myself. There have been start dates for March, may and July this year so far. so every several months there is a school. I think with Covid, class room groups are being kept much smaller for social distancing and there are more frequency of courses running with smaller groups.

Best be patient and concentrate of hobbies and interest while waiting is the best way to manage things. Maybe send an email every few months asking for a status update and say you are still keen and interested to start so they dont forget about you. Ive emailed a few times and told i am still in the talent pool and they will contact me as soon as an update is available. Best of luck to you. Hope you get your start date soon as well

Last edited:

Turn180

Hi im about to do the ticket check test, is there a formal interview after this stage?

thematrix

Have you also gone through the Scaat Test or Raat Test? After doing the online test, You might also be invited to a test centre to do a live written scaat verification test in front of an examiner.

Might be a few months wait pending shortlisting onto the interview stage. Best send a chaser email to check whether it's the interview next or the online SCAAT test. Use an existing email you've had from the recruitment team to reply on and ask. From here they will have your email history to know whereabouts they are with you. or use the following email address:

[email protected]

It May of changed since I did. It changes slightly every few years depending on which depot areas you are applying for. I was speed-tracked through mine with lockdown and Covid. I did the mini online Scaat test. I was told to attend a Scaat verification venue to prove it was me but this was then canceled due to Covid and then did an online interview via Teams with 2 conductor managers.

My wait between doing Scaat Test and the interview was 5 months after being shortlisted for the next phase of selection. I had to send a chaser email to find out what was happening after not hearing anything for 5 months. I was assured they hadn't forgotten me and would get back to me. I then got an email a few days later saying my interview was for next week. However, timings can vary depending on how they manage different talent pool groups for different depots and roll other groups over for the next intakes. This was my experience and might be different for you.

With covid restrictions now being lifted, I don't know if they Might go back to inviting candidates to selection weekends to do a mixture of Scaat verification exams, group-based activities to see how you work as a team, and then face to face interviews, etc. So far, most people are still doing their interviews online via Teams. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you. Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

Danirax

Hi im about to do the ticket check test, is there a formal interview after this stage?
Hi, sorry this is late, yes after the ticket check, if successful is the interview. I was offered face to face or on teams, with 2 conductor managers. I chose face to face, all very relaxed. Good luck! I found the ticket check the hardest, speed and accuracy as usual, more accuracy i think!

Thanks!
I was placed in a talent pool after my interview in Feb. They told me at interview there will likely be a course in September, so i was extremely lucky to suddenly be offered a course for July, cnsidering some people have been waiting a year for a start date. As has been suggested i think your proximity to the depot has something to do with it (aswell as your interview scores, i was told this at interview). I literally live 5 minutes from the depot, so perhaps that went in my favour?? Who knows? Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:

Turn180

Hi, sorry this is late, yes after the ticket check, if successful is the interview. I was offered face to face or on teams, with 2 conductor managers. I chose face to face, all very relaxed. Good luck! I found the ticket check the hardest, speed and accuracy as usual, more accuracy i think!

I was placed in a talent pool after my interview in Feb. They told me at interview there will likely be a course in September, so i was extremely lucky to suddenly be offered a course for July, cnsidering some people have been waiting a year for a start date. As has been suggested i think your proximity to the depot has something to do with it (aswell as your interview scores, i was told this at interview). I literally live 5 minutes from the depot, so perhaps that went in my favour?? Who knows? Best of luck to everyone!
Hi, no need for apologies. I've recently done the TCT test and passed. Now being told I've got a few weeks and someone will be in touch. What kinda questions did you get asked if you don't mind me asking?

thematrix

These were my interview questions. Its a competancy based interview question structure followed by some more personal questions about why you want the job and work for tfw.

What do you know about the job? Give me an example of a time you have given excellent customer service? Give me an example of a time you had to make a decision on your own? Give me an example of a time when you had to work under pressure? Give me an example of a time when you had to work as part of a team? Give me an example of a time when you had to commit to achieving something? Give me an example of a time you have improved something?

Why do you want the job? Why do you want to work for tfw (think about the company values and mission statement and how it aligns with you own values). What can you bring to the role? What do you think makes a good train conductor? How do you feel about working shifts? How will you get to work?

You will then be able to ask some questions of your own. Think about asking about route and traction cards. The appointment slot is about an hour. I was done and dusted in about 45 minutes. Seemed to go really quickly. I heard back a few days later.

They may change the questions slightly for different candidates. HR will have a bank of different questions for different areas. They will cover areas of customer service, Resilience under pressure, showing initiative working autonomously, Team working and self improvement.

Last edited:

Danirax

Hi, no need for apologies. I've recently done the TCT test and passed. Now being told I've got a few weeks and someone will be in touch. What kinda questions did you get asked if you don't mind me asking?
Basically what thematrix has said covers the majority of what i was asked, nothing that you could say was unexpected. Its definately worthwhile going to tfw website and reading up about passenger assistance and some of their policies. They asked me ‘how did you prepare for this interview’ and thats when i went off on one about them and their policies. The rest is pretty straight forward customer service as has been said and if you can, try and use examples from previous roles. If you’ve made it this far, they like your CV (and they have read them because they asked me in depth about mine) and you can do the brain stuff (tests) you’re almost there. Just come across as safety concious (most important) and passenger focussed second and you should get over the line! Best of luck

thematrix

Have you opted to do a teams interview or face to face with 2 conductor managers?

Use your hands to convey your points across and lean forward slightly to look more animated and put energy into it to articulate your answers across. Particularly if you are doing a teams interview to come across stronger and make a strong impression. I know someone who didnt get through because he just sat there completely still and looked bored with a monotone voice. Although he gave all the right information, his attitude and body language just said otherwise so its good learn from this. Hope you pass. best of luck. Let us know how you get on and hopefully see you out there some time.

ConnorH93

Hi all, I had an interview for the treherbert depot on the 4th June and subsequently received an email saying that I had been successful and placed in the talent pool. Any idea on the timescale I’m looking at as it’s been 3 months so just wondering what sort of timescale I’d be looking at and would it be any use emailing the recruitment team. Thanks for the replies in advance