• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thames valley peak semi fasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pshambro

Hello
Apologies if this has already been asked but I couldn’t find a thread on it.

I’ve noticed that the peak semi-fast 387 services that are limited stop after reading are now mostly 8 car formations, having always been 12, even through Covid.

Is this a temporary thing due to unit availability or is it permanent ?

Thanks

Paul

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Hello
Apologies if this has already been asked but I couldn’t find a thread on it.

I’ve noticed that the peak semi-fast 387 services that are limited stop after reading are now mostly 8 car formations, having always been 12, even through Covid.

Is this a temporary thing due to unit availability or is it permanent ?

Thanks

Paul
My guess is that 8 coaches is fine and the other 4 can be serviced at Reading.

I believe there's one or 2 services from Didcot Parkway to London booked for a 12-car 387 that are non-stop to London after Maidenhead.

JN114

Established Member
6 units (+1 Turbo) were needed to convert the Bedwyns into 387s to Newbury connecting.

That has seen a permanent reduction in 12 car running, to two trips per day in the peak direction only.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
6 units (+1 Turbo) were needed to convert the Bedwyns into 387s to Newbury connecting.

That has seen a permanent reduction in 12 car running, to two trips per day in the peak direction only.

The turbo however was the existing peak hour only Bedwyn unit now running all day.

Pshambro

Thanks for the info everyone. Its a pity, as this is a step in the wrong direction in terms of peak capacity and loadings on the services I have used have been anecdotally very high.

lawried123

Thanks for the info everyone. Its a pity, as this is a step in the wrong direction in terms of peak capacity and loadings on the services I have used have been anecdotally very high.
What is slightly annoying is that the train I regularly catch from Twyford to London at 17:17 is now regularly 4 coaches and and gets very full from Slough, often with standing passengers.
It always used to be 8 coaches. I now see that it leads Didcot as an 8 but they detach 4 coaches at Reading.

Lawrie

Tramtrain

What is slightly annoying is that the train I regularly catch from Twyford to London at 17:17 is now regularly 4 coaches and and gets very full from Slough, often with standing passengers.
It always used to be 8 coaches. I now see that it leads Didcot as an 8 but they detach 4 coaches at Reading.

Lawrie

Equally the 07:53 from Twyford in the AM peak is rammed, often leaves passengers behind at Maidenhead, and that’s with 12 coaches

Jamiescott1

The 0633 from maidenhead to Paddington is still 12.
The 1720 Paddington reduced from 12 to 8 and never full and standing

Status
Not open for further replies.