• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink double charging keycard holder

infobleep

Veteran Member
KeyGo doesn't deal in period return fares, it would be singles instead.

The question remains of exactly when the KeyGo day starts and ends. My guess would be that it changes over at 04.30, but I'm not about to set out for a journey in the small hours to find out!
However, the lesson from this is that KeyGo is not suitable for all situations, and this thread highlights one of them.
I would class this as an undocumented system feature.

A behaviour that occurs but isn't officially documented anywhere for users to read about.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
So what does the time apply to? Departure? Arrival? Either? And what is done with those travelling across the time boundary?

I will be very happy to give them a computer logic statement that embraces this. It's about 6 or 8 lines in an SQL IF statement.

Last edited:

21C101

Established Member
So what does the time apply to? Departure? Arrival? Either? And what is done with those travelling across the time boundary?

I will be very happy to give them a computer logic statement that embraces this. It's about 6 or 8 lines in an SQL IF statement.
It gets to 04.30, assumes you forgot to tap out so inserts an autofill tap out at 04.29 /04.30 at the station you get off.

Then when you arrive and tap out at 04.50ish it accuses you of tapping out without tapping in and debits you a £50 penalty fare.

Aint life grand.

It gets to 04.30, assumes you forgot to tap out so inserts an autofill tap out at 04.29 /04.30 at the station you get off.

Then when you arrive and tap out at 04.50ish it accuses you of tapping out without tapping in and debits you a £50 penalty fare.

Aint life grand.
(autofill assumes you get off at the place you normally tap out after tapping in in London.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
It's almost a week now since @21C101 first posted. Have the appropriate refund(s) now been made / the penalty charge(s) been reversed?

paul1609

Established Member
I was quite surprised to get the email about the weekly capping. The impression I got primarily on the southcoast was that development of the key had been overtaken with e and s tickets and that the key would be quietly dropped. Certainly there seems to have been no futher expansion of the Key go product to the whole GTR network (in my case Portsmouth and Ashford) which i was assured was imminent about 5 years ago.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Noted. Thanks. That's something. But seemingly no re-assurance that this potentially won't ever happen again.
On the contrary, it's quite clear that in the same circumstances the same thing would happen. Which is why KeyGo is not ideal for every use case.