• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink service should be revised to increase reliability

Veteran Member
Of course the other issue is the SE fast services which limit Catford Loop availability. It's crazy to me that these trains take up such valuable space in a massively overcrowded corridor which is often the subject of proposals for redevelopment and even new tube line (eg BLE to Peckham, catford).
Really? Currently the peak service (including Lewishams) is 6tph plus 2 "fasts" which have masses of pathing, so fewer trains than via Herne Hill. That compares with around 1980 when there were at least 9tph plus 3 fasts. I don't think infrastructure is holding up service increases!

AIUI any Bakerloo extension will serve the Old Kent Road and go to Lewisham. If it serves Catford it will replace the Mid-Kent line.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MPW

Really? Currently the peak service (including Lewishams) is 6tph plus 2 "fasts" which have masses of pathing, so fewer trains than via Herne Hill. That compares with around 1980 when there were at least 9tph plus 3 fasts. I don't think infrastructure is holding up service increases!

AIUI any Bakerloo extension will serve the Old Kent Road and go to Lewisham. If it serves Catford it will replace the Mid-Kent line
Not sure if "really?" is you asking a question or intended to convey frustration at my post. I'll reply as though you're unsure what I meant.

The passenger loading on trains and buses is high on the corridor, in my experience. From memory the SE Route Utilisation report for catford loop references freight and long-distance trains reducing capacity, and was written <10yrs ago.

Perhaps there was a different service pattern and pinch points across the wider network in the 1980s. I didn't do extensive research before posting (hope that's clear in how I phrased it).

My point about BLE maybe wasn't clear enough. I'm aware the mid-kent line is the current frontrunner. The Catford loop serves areas which lost out when BLE proposal was redrawn via OKR and lewisham instead of Peckham. So without doing my own modelling or research, it seems logical that there would be political support and some business case for improved service on this alternative route.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I wasn't suggesting that all of the current peak-only TL services would continue to be part of TL - the introduction of a full time Oxford service would be more important.

What happens to the extra peak TL services, and the passengers on them, then?

Veteran Member
Not sure if "really?" is you asking a question or intended to convey frustration at my post. I'll reply as though you're unsure what I meant.

The passenger loading on trains and buses is high on the corridor, in my experience. From memory the SE Route Utilisation report for catford loop references freight and long-distance trains reducing capacity, and was written <10yrs ago.
There were, indeed, rather more outer-suburban trains then, but freight was offpeak only.
The Catford loop serves areas which lost out when BLE proposal was redrawn via OKR and lewisham instead of Peckham. So without doing my own modelling or research, it seems logical that there would be political support and some business case for improved service on this alternative route.
If the traffic is there, as you indicate, certainly there would be a case - perhaps reviving the Victoria-Bellingham that was proposed back then, if Blackfriars (or the core) hasn't the capacity.

SE%Traveller

One of the frustrating things about the Services going down the loop is that the Semi Fast from Gillingham follows the Stopper from Sevenoaks such that it catches up with it by Catford and then crawls along behind to Denmark Hill taking 20 mins. I'd often wondered if you delayed the Sevenoaks Stopper by 5 minutes you could avoid this and it could take the current Rainham path to Luton (with the latter returning to SE) with the Gillingham service having a clear run.

Ironically this is exactly what happens on Sunday, with the Gillingham (sometimes Dover) doing the stretch to Denmark Hill in 12 mins rather than 20 and the Sevenoaks Service arrives in tandem with the Rainham in Blackfriars at xx04/ xx34...

Veteran Member
One of the frustrating things about the Services going down the loop is that the Semi Fast from Gillingham follows the Stopper from Sevenoaks such that it catches up with it by Catford and then crawls along behind to Denmark Hill taking 20 mins. I'd often wondered if you delayed the Sevenoaks Stopper by 5 minutes you could avoid this and it could take the current Rainham path to Luton (with the latter returning to SE) with the Gillingham service having a clear run.
To eliminate all the pathing (Up direction only for those who are unfamiliar) unfortunately you need to delay the Sevenoaks by 7 min not 5, which then conflicts with the Maidstone-Charing Cross at Swanley. Running the Gillingham 5 earlier is possible (but not 7), but you then catch up the Orpington Thameslink at DMK.
Annoyingly, I can't see a solution without a much wider timetable recast.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
I’m of the opinion that if the Woolwich line is going to be lumbered with Thameslink long term, then it should be rerouted at Charlton to run via Lewisham at least.

The Woolwich line is an oddity of the Dartford routes in that it’s 2tph and traditionally it’s the outer-suburban Gillingham route, the other lines (Greenwich, Bexleyheath and Sidcup) can be brought up to 6tph and are ripe for a Overground takeover, while the Blackheath/Woolwich route is a far better fit for such a Thameslink service.

I’ve heard that once Blackheath tunnel is finished being refurbished that the 700s may start using that route whenever there are diversions on the Deptford-Charlton route, is this true?

LBMPSB

I‘ve never seen ‘transponders’ at the London end if Radlett Jn*, and even if they were / are there it was nothing to do with the then proposed TM system. The TM would (and one day will) takes info from the Train Describers in the signalling centres. It doesn‘t need ant additional train identification.

* unless you mean the Auto Power Cutoffs for the OLE neutral section just south of Radkett Jn?
Never heard of transponders for TM, TM is not directly connected to the Signalling system. ETCS works through the GSM-R system, which uses the same masts as the GSM-R radio system. The proposed 'Traffic Management' for Thameslink was conceived as part of the Thameslink Programme. We were promised it year after year, then suddenly after millions had been spent on its development, it was scrapped. It was meant as a standalone system that was to use train schedules and live data from train movements, train crew diagrams, stock diagrams, to adjust schedules of trains to keep the service running with minimal delays. It could not talk with TRUST/TOPS. Its area did not cover the complete Thameslink Area, only Luton to Three Bridges I believe. So it could not know how trains were doing outside this area. It did not control signalling directly, only indirectly through train schedules which the Signalling systems proposed Immediate Route Signalling system read to regulate trains. This then led to Union isuses, because it was proposed that Train Running Controllers could alter the regulation of trains at junctions without talking to Signallers who signalled the areas concerned. ECTS ATO is limited to between London Bridge and Kentish Town. Designed to allow free flowing through the core section, ATO ensures each train is run as efficient as conditions allow, more effiecient that a Train Driver can. ETCS allows for 32 pathways an hour through the Core each direction, with only 24 scheduled trains an hour being the maximum. This allows 8 pathways each direction for perturbation, allowing the throughput of late trains using Traffic Management with out affecting right time trains, now left to the Signallers judgement at the time or Train Running Controllers decison made in advance.

I’m of the opinion that if the Woolwich line is going to be lumbered with Thameslink long term, then it should be rerouted at Charlton to run via Lewisham at least.

The Woolwich line is an oddity of the Dartford routes in that it’s 2tph and traditionally it’s the outer-suburban Gillingham route, the other lines (Greenwich, Bexleyheath and Sidcup) can be brought up to 6tph and are ripe for a Overground takeover, while the Blackheath/Woolwich route is a far better fit for such a Thameslink service.

I’ve heard that once Blackheath tunnel is finished being refurbished that the 700s may start using that route whenever there are diversions on the Deptford-Charlton route, is this true?
Having spent seven years Signalling Greenwich Thameslinks at North Kent East Junction, I have proposed several times, that if the service ran as the old North Kent semi fast from Gillingham via Charlton & Blackheath to London Bridge then on to Luton, it would be a better service for passengers and would ease the regulation/ conflicting movements at North Kent East. It would even go through Lewisham on/off the slow lines at St johns with no conflicts at Lewisham. But it seems it is a DfT requirement to make up for loss of Charing Cross Greenwich services.

Last edited:

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Having spent seven years Signalling Greenwich Thameslinks at North Kent East Junction, I have proposed several times, that if the service ran as the old North Kent semi fast from Gillingham via Charlton & Blackheath to London Bridge then on to Luton, it would be a better service for passengers and would ease the regulation/ conflicting movements at North Kent East. It would even go through Lewisham on/off the slow lines at St johns with no conflicts at Lewisham. But it seems it is a DfT requirement to make up for loss of Charing Cross Greenwich services.

It was definitely a last minute decision and a last minute one, pretty sure that from 2010-2015 Charing Cross trains via Greenwich were peak only? And that all CX trains during this era was via Blackheath as the Gillinghams.

Either way it would make far more sense routing it via Blackheath for the reasons you stated above.