• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 110 Wakefield. Why so protected ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam0984

The 189 must be a close contender in terms of revenues. It's very frequent throughout the day anyway.
Again another route that has been split thats been running Wakefield to Leeds via Castleford and being curtailed to Wakefield to Castleford with another service covering the bit to Leeds

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Again another route that has been split thats been running Wakefield to Leeds via Castleford and being curtailed to Wakefield to Castleford with another service covering the bit to Leeds

I think some still go through to Leeds, however it's a very long journey and there can't be that much call to go across Wakefield (though I have done it on occasions)

tbtc

Veteran Member
The cut to the 189 seems sensible - Arriva have taken a long time to turn their Yorkshire services in a pattern of certain key corridors running in relatively straight lines

The 140/141 provides a fifteen minute Leeds - Castleford - Pontefract service that is much simpler than the messy combination of services before (the 189 that ran Leeds - Castleford - Wakefield, the 411 that ran Leeds - Pontefract whilst skirting round the edge of Castleford instead of serving the centre, as well as various Castleford - Pontefract routes that required cross-referencing different timetables)

Same with the 268 being extended from Bradford - Dewsbury through to Wakefield a few years ago - one simple corridor

It feels like they are about twenty years behind the kinds of changes that First/ Stagecoach were making to bring their operations up to scratch in other parts of the country

But it's not amazing territory for bus operators, lots of similarly sized towns (people might travel from suburbs into the city, people might travel from outlying towns into the city, but with so many similarly sized towns there's not much need to go between them, or any demand is spread in several different directions, so it's harder to sustain a commercial bus service)

Robertj21a

On Moderation
For a commercial operation, Arriva does a good job on many services around Yorkshire. They may not have a very good reputation for some of their operations elsewhere but that certainly doesn't apply to Yorkshire.

317 forever

Established Member
Both the 36 and the 110 are very old routes. That they have survived this long suggests there is a good demand, and operators will see a good profit from offering a good service.
IIRC both routes used to be single-deck. Route 110 was upgraded to double-deck using Spectras in 1999, and route 36 in 2003 using Volvo B7TLs.

Ken H

On Moderation
IIRC both routes used to be single-deck. Route 110 was upgraded to double-deck using Spectras in 1999, and route 36 in 2003 using Volvo B7TLs.
The 10 was double deckers in the 60's. Wulfunians from cross York Street bus stn in leeds.

Bayum

Established Member
36 used to have some double deckers on the route. They got their own ‘premium’ eclipse in 2003.

daodao

Established Member
36 used to have some double deckers on the route.
I used route 36 on multiple occasions in the late 1960s/early 1970s, and saw buses on this route even more often, as my late maternal grandparents lived close to Alwoodley Gates. I do not recall ever seeing a double deck bus on this route, either from West Yorkshire Road Car Company (the main operator) or United Automobile Services (who supplied 1 vehicle from their Ripon depot).

The Leeds-Wakefield route (now 110) was originally a tram service run by Yorkshire (West Riding) Electric Tramways Co Ltd using double deck cars, prior to its conversion to a bus service run by its successor, the West Riding Automobile Company.

Ken H

On Moderation
The 36’did have deckers when the frequency was cut in 1981. United allocated a new Olympian there in 1982, quickly swapped for a VR that had longer fuel range (bigger tank). West Yorkshire also had Olympians on there in the mid 80s.
I am sure some were lodekkas early 60's

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I am sure some were lodekkas early 60's
Possibly though by the late 60s, they were RELLs and into the 1970s. West Yorkshire also fitted DP seats into a couple of Olympians in the dereg era for use on the route IIRC

There are plenty of examples where deckers were replaced by 36’ singles in the 60s (to enable One Man Operation as it was known) and were converted back to DD in the 70s and 80s as headways were reduced

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.