• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The decline of P&O Ferries

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylemore

I always thought it was a shame they didn't develop the Troon route more. A stone's throw from the A77/M77 within 45 mins from Glasgow as opposed to the slow and tortuous trek to Cairnryan.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Sad to see the Pride of York & Bruges go, I always enjoyed sailing on those as a kid in the 90s as the Norsea and Norsun on Hull - Rotterdam before the newer ferries took over.

Glad the "Prides" have lasted so long. Takes me back to 1987 when my colleagues and I were invited to take a tour of the (then) new Pride of Dover in 1987

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Glad the "Prides" have lasted so long. Takes me back to 1987 when my colleagues and I were invited to take a tour of the (then) new Pride of Dover in 1987

It's long been a naming scheme, largely because "Pride of" is PO i.e. P&O. The Pride of Bruges under discussion here isn't the same as the first ship to carry that name, which was a sister of the ill-fated Herald of Free Enterprise originally named "Pride of Free Enterprise". The whole "Free Enterprise" thing came from the fact that Townsend Thoresen was, at the time, one of the few ferry companies that wasn't in some way Government owned, and was competing primarily with Sealink (BR/SNCF/SNCB), but was dropped after the Herald disaster. The other sister was the Spirit of Free Enterprise which was renamed the Pride of Kent, a name which has also been reused.

The 1987 Pride of Dover was an upgraded version of the Spirit class ships - bigger, but the same very distinctive design with an obvious separate hull and superstructure, as distinct from most ferries which are slab-sided.

(I was a bit of a ferry nut when I was a kid! :) )

cactustwirly

Established Member
It's long been a naming scheme, largely because "Pride of" is PO i.e. P&O. The Pride of Bruges under discussion here isn't the same as the first ship to carry that name, which was a sister of the ill-fated Herald of Free Enterprise originally named "Pride of Free Enterprise". The whole "Free Enterprise" thing came from the fact that Townsend Thoresen was, at the time, one of the few ferry companies that wasn't in some way Government owned, and was competing primarily with Sealink (BR/SNCF/SNCB), but was dropped after the Herald disaster. The other sister was the Spirit of Free Enterprise which was renamed the Pride of Kent, a name which has also been reused.

The 1987 Pride of Dover was an upgraded version of the Spirit class ships - bigger, but the same very distinctive design with an obvious separate hull and superstructure, as distinct from most ferries which are slab-sided.

I went on the Pride of Calais 10 years ago, I was shocked at how bad it was. The ship was small and cramped and the interior was very old and tatty.
The two Spirit ferries are ok though, although I have heard the two ex Seafrance twins with DFDS have been refurbished to a high standard, and are actually a lot better than P&O.

CC 72100

Established Member
The two SeaFrance twins were excellent when I used them 12-13 years ago - seemed much nicer than the P&O offering at the time. I've not sailed on either of the Spirits.

BayPaul

Established Member

I'm glad I'm not the only guy who was a ferry nut as a kid, though I never grew up and get to play with real ones now!

I always thought that there was a lot of irony in the Pride of names, especially when watching the hideously jumboised and rust streaked Pride of Hampshire lumbering into Portsmouth Harbour and wondering if anyone in the county was truly proud of her! A ship that only an accountant could love.

The two SeaFrance twins were excellent when I used them 12-13 years ago - seemed much nicer than the P&O offering at the time. I've not sailed on either of the Spirits.
I sailed on the ex Seafrance twins early this year and was very disappointed. They didn't really have any character, just lots of blandly similar rooms. They hadn't even made a feature of the signature double height lobby with huge windows.

CC 72100

Established Member
I'm glad I'm not the only guy who was a ferry nut as a kid, though I never grew up and get to play with real ones now!

I always thought that there was a lot of irony in the Pride of names, especially when watching the hideously jumboised and rust streaked Pride of Hampshire lumbering into Portsmouth Harbour and wondering if anyone in the county was truly proud of her! A ship that only an accountant could love.

I sailed on the ex Seafrance twins early this year and was very disappointed. They didn't really have any character, just lots of blandly similar rooms. They hadn't even made a feature of the signature double height lobby with huge windows.

A real shame - they were very much a great feature in the SeaFrance days and really lightened up the interior whereas I found the P&O offering felt quite cramped and oppressive inside.

As for your comments on the Jumbosized Viking sisters - I thought even accountants could recognise ugliness when it was so painfully obvious haha

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As for your comments on the Jumbosized Viking sisters - I thought even accountants could recognise ugliness when it was so painfully obvious haha

I was always quite impressed, however ugly they might have been, that you could just lop a slice out of a ferry with a cutting torch and weld an extra bit in! Spirit of Free Enterprise was lengthened in a massive "cut and shut" operation, I believe, though at least that made them look better rather than the ugly addition of an extra car deck to the Vikings.

Did seem very much a Townsend Thoresen thing to do.

cactustwirly

Established Member

DFDS are Danish so they have a Scandinavian style interior

BayPaul

Established Member
DFDS are Danish so they have a Scandinavian style interior
It didn't even feel like that to be honest - I couldn't really see any style at all - compared to Stena who do interiors really well, it was just chairs and tables, no variation between the rooms, no warmth, no thought!
I was always quite impressed, however ugly they might have been, that you could just lop a slice out of a ferry with a cutting torch and weld an extra bit in! Spirit of Free Enterprise was lengthened in a massive "cut and shut" operation, I believe, though at least that made them look better rather than the ugly addition of an extra car deck to the Vikings.

It was actually even more complicated than that for the Super Vikings (and two of the original FEs - VI and VII). They kept the original aft part of the hull, with the engine room, and added a new double height vehicle deck above it, with the existing superstructure above that. Forward, the existing hull above the waterline became the new upper vehicle deck, and a new, considerably wider hull was added below. Each pair of sister's new forward hull were launched as a single double ended hull, then cut in half to be fitted to each ship. This left oddities such as lifeboats which were located on original width decks, but above widened sections of the hull, meaning huge frames were added on to ensure that the boats would never hit the hull on the way down. How any naval architect came up with the idea is beyond me, but as you say, very impressive!

It was Sten Olsson, founder of Stena who famously said that ships only look good on the balance sheet, I think it was when he was ordering a similarly hideous jumboisation of a couple of his ferries!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It was actually even more complicated than that for the Super Vikings (and two of the original FEs - VI and VII). They kept the original aft part of the hull, with the engine room, and added a new double height vehicle deck above it, with the existing superstructure above that. Forward, the existing hull above the waterline became the new upper vehicle deck, and a new, considerably wider hull was added below. Each pair of sister's new forward hull were launched as a single double ended hull, then cut in half to be fitted to each ship. This left oddities such as lifeboats which were located on original width decks, but above widened sections of the hull, meaning huge frames were added on to ensure that the boats would never hit the hull on the way down. How any naval architect came up with the idea is beyond me, but as you say, very impressive!

Found some photos of the process for FE VI here:

And for Viking Valiant:

Always thought the FEs looked odd, anyway, appearing to have two bridges.

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member

Isn't that what P&O did with the Darwin twins?
Stena are doing this with the ex Birkenhead to Belfast ferries which are moving to the Baltic.

Btw the Pride of Burgundy is back in service on the Dover to Calais route, apparently since the end of last month.

Established Member
Stena are doing this with the ex Birkenhead to Belfast ferries which are moving to the Baltic.

Btw the Pride of Burgundy is back in service on the Dover to Calais route, apparently since the end of last month.
Stena have altered quite a few vessels. The former Harwich - Hook van Holland pair got lengthened and two of the freight vessels which are now run by Marine Atlantic has a big makeover to add more passenger accommodation before heading to Canada.

According the ships ais the Pride of Burgundy left Newhaven on 24th October and then entered service on the 3rd November.

cactustwirly

Established Member
In other ferry news, the Stena Baltica is returning back to Brittany Ferries as the Contentin, with Ètretat (ex Norman Voyager) subsequently returning to Stena. With rumours of the Le Havre route getting the chop.

BayPaul

Established Member

I think the Darwin conversion left the vehicle decks alone, and just added additional passenger accomodation

Stena have altered quite a few vessels. The former Harwich - Hook van Holland pair got lengthened and two of the freight vessels which are now run by Marine Atlantic has a big makeover to add more passenger accommodation before heading to Canada.

According the ships ais the Pride of Burgundy left Newhaven on 24th October and then entered service on the 3rd November.
The Marine Atlantic / Stena conversion was also unique because the ships were shortened - the Marine Atlantic captains had set a limit on the size of ship for the route due to space limitations in one of the ports, and so they cut the ships in half and took a 12m section out of the middle. Stena are very keen on their 'Stenability' concept, which means they design ships to be capable of significant conversions fairly easily, to allow easy charter / sale / redeployment. Their eflexer fleet is a good example - the same basic ship is being used for Portsmouth - Spain and Dover - Calais charters to Brittany Ferries and DFDS respectively - it is difficult to imagine two more different international routes!

Established Member
The Marine Atlantic / Stena conversion was also unique because the ships were shortened - the Marine Atlantic captains had set a limit on the size of ship for the route due to space limitations in one of the ports, and so they cut the ships in half and took a 12m section out of the middle. Stena are very keen on their 'Stenability' concept, which means they design ships to be capable of significant conversions fairly easily, to allow easy charter / sale / redeployment. Their eflexer fleet is a good example - the same basic ship is being used for Portsmouth - Spain and Dover - Calais charters to Brittany Ferries and DFDS respectively - it is difficult to imagine two more different international routes!
The 'eflexer' example is really good. Whilst they all look pretty much the same from the outside when you look at some aerial shots of the Stena and Brittany Ferries examples you can see that the former has a car deck where the latter has cabins and more outside space at the rear. The DFDS example will also change this again by having more passenger areas and also being designed for the births at Dover and Calais. The niferry site has a table which shows that the other two Brittany Ferries examples will be powered by LNG and two Stena examples will be longer at 240m rather than 215m.

cactustwirly

Established Member
The 'eflexer' example is really good. Whilst they all look pretty much the same from the outside when you look at some aerial shots of the Stena and Brittany Ferries examples you can see that the former has a car deck where the latter has cabins and more outside space at the rear. The DFDS example will also change this again by having more passenger areas and also being designed for the births at Dover and Calais. The niferry site has a table which shows that the other two Brittany Ferries examples will be powered by LNG and two Stena examples will be longer at 240m rather than 215m.

Not sure about the Côte du Opale, but the other Dover ferries don't have an internal ramp between decks 3&5 because the linkspans are have two levels.
This is also why the ferries have limited use with other operators once they are withdrawn

Established Member
The Pride of Burgundy is now moored on the river fal.

'Favourite' cross-Channel ferry moored on river in Cornwall​

Published10 hours ago