• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The demise of "Victoria's" (as a suffix for station names)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Another current thread (about Nottingham being out on a limb) mentioned the demise of stations with the Victoria suffix.

Can anyone added to this list?

Still open:
London Victoria
Manchester Victoria - though a shadow of its former self
Southend Victoria

Closed and long gone:
Norwich Victoria
Nottingham Victoria
Sheffield Victoria
Swansea Victoria

Barnstaple had a Victoria Road, and Belfast a Great Victoria Street and a Victoria Park Halt

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

St. Budeaux (Victoria Road) on the Gunnislake branch. Roche on the Newquay branch was opened as Victoria - a more geographically accurate name.

Gloster

Established Member
There is Victoria Street Station (that is how it appears in the timetable) on the Lemvigbanen in Denmark.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The Isle of Grain once had Port Victoria which had it's own railway station and pier. This was later downgraded to a concrete halt before being replaced by Grain station in the 1950's then closed.

Fortunately, you can still get near to the site on the odd railtour :)

Gloster

Established Member
There was another Victoria Park in Whiteinch on the Caledonian’s line along the north side of the Clyde.

mailbyrail

Since we've ventured away from the UK, there's Victoria station on the Athens metro line 1

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Sadly no more, it's now Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus - CST.

But they chose the same name for the airport! Therefore, Sahar Airport is now Chhatrapati Shivaji Airport!

The station is still there in all its glory !

Sunil_P

I know, I know! Just the name's changed!

But imagine if there was a "Heathrow Railway Station" in central London :lol:

nw1

Established Member
Victoria Kent in Spain on line C1 Málaga-Fuengirola.

That rings a bell, I have used that line from the airport to the city centre so probably called there. Wondered why it was called that, a distinctly un-Spanish sounding name, particularly the "Kent" part!

Victoria (BC) station?

I have the feeling there is a station with "Victoria" in the name in the Montreal metro but not completely sure.

Wychwood93

That rings a bell, I have used that line from the airport to the city centre so probably called there. Wondered why it was called that, a distinctly un-Spanish sounding name, particularly the "Kent" part!

Victoria (BC) station?

I have the feeling there is a station with "Victoria" in the name in the Montreal metro but not completely sure.
Re. Victoria Kent, a Wiki search sees:

There is a local 'Victoria' beer down that way.

Victoria (BC) station?
Service 'indefinitely suspended' since 2011, sadly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria–Courtenay_train. It appears that the station has been demolished and its site cut off from the railway line by a new bridge without rail provision.

Indeed -- Square-Victoria--OACI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square-Victoria–OACI_station

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Victoria (BC) station?

The word Victoria is not "distinctly un-Spanish" at all. That South American revolutionary bloke of t-shirt fame is often displayed with the slogan "Hasta la Victoria siempre".

Kent, I'll give you. ;)

QJ

Victoria Park on the Melbourne,Victoria suburban line to Hurstbridge.

All railway stations in the Australian State of Victoria would have Victoria as part of their address.

nw1

Established Member
Re. Victoria Kent, a Wiki search sees:

There is a local 'Victoria' beer down that way.

Ah OK, thanks for the info.

Service 'indefinitely suspended' since 2011, sadly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria–Courtenay_train. It appears that the station has been demolished and its site cut off from the railway line by a new bridge without rail provision.

Indeed -- Square-Victoria--OACI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square-Victoria–OACI_station
Thanks for the info. Didn't realise that train service had been suspended, though first read about it prior to a visit to BC in 2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.