• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Enterprise returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigybagel

Established Member
Thanks for the extra detail :)

I would hazard a guess at cross border politics perhaps?

Possibly, although it was an EU funded project! The massive signs they put up proclaiming this fact were there for years, might even still be there in certain places for all I know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
As always there is confusion re. reciprocal staff travel arrangements in Ireland for UK staff. The situation is the same for both IE & NIR so I will paraphrase the entitlements below:-

Until I get my FIP the bus is far cheaper.

Maybe, but there are great advance fares available - and the ride is comfortable and scenic too!

You do not need FIP to use this service. Your TOC PRIV card is valid for use on IE and NIR services.

Almost, only safeguarded staff can use their staff travel card (boxes) to purchase priv. tickets. Newer TOCNE staff have to use their FIP card.

Likewise IE Priv cards are valid on NIR, ATOC, LUL, Stena Line and Irish Ferries.

Yes, this will be the case. We had a young lass (dependent of a Irish Ferries employee) who used her priv. card on our services - but at the time only safeguarded staff could use Irish Ferries.

Ooh, interesting. I thought you needed FIP, as my flatmate just got his and it listed discounts for NIR and IE.

Yes, non safeguarded staff need their FIP card for discounted travel.

A priv on its own will get you a discount (50% off single tickets IIRC, although I've never tried using it cross border), but a FIP with a coupon will get you free travel.

Priv. tickets are at 75% discount of the full fare.

So in general to receive a discount in Ireland you need a FIP card. Additionally safeguarded staff can use their Staff Travel Card - although to be fair I know that the TOCNE new entrants priv. card can also be unofficially accepted as well.

All staff, after a suitable qualifying period, are entitled to free FIP coupons for Ireland at least twice a year.

All staff are entitled to free (foot passenger) travel on Stena (Port Tax payable).

All staff are entitled to priv. travel on Irish Ferries with certain safeguarded staff also entitled to limited free journeys as well.

See Ireland is just as simple as Great Britain with regard to staff travel! ;)

kylemore

Passenger numbers look very sparse for a two hourly service between the two largest cities on the island of Ireland.

I can't help contrasting it with the train service between the two largest cities in Scotland - 11 trains an hour on four different routes with most on the main E&G road crowded to the gunwhales!:)

PFX

The massive signs they put up proclaiming this fact were there for years, might even still be there in certain places for all I know.

Yup, those massive signs are still all over the place. As for politics, a number of large engineering projects have been shelved through lack of agreement. Narrow Water bridge, the dualling of the A5 (now back on the cards on a much reduced scale).

The Enterprise refurb is one joint programme that did manage to go ahead and NIR has done a lot of track upgrades, but even that isn't without problems. The Coleraine Derry signalling upgrade was delayed and then doubled in cost to over £40million. Someone made a mess of the estimate there! At least NIR managed to procure the CAF fleets without too much bother.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
On a rare jaunt to Ireland, I had the misfortune of travelling on the new train for the first time today. Well kind of.

After about 5 minutes leaving Dublin Connolly the train came to a halt. Apparently a door became stuck open and after half an hour of waiting we were all-detrained.

Cue absolute chaos behind and widespread disruption all night, since on the stretch of the track there is only one track in each direction.

I believe that single line for both directions operation was invoked on all services between Dublin Connolly at Howth Junction, until they could get the train all the way to the next station with more than two tracks/platforms (Clongriffin which has a third platform which isn't used for any services which they stored the broken set in which I imagine then was turned and went back to Connolly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.