• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The First Class lounges at King's Cross (East Coast) and Euston (Virgin Trains)

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
You can get one for a couple of quid on eBay.

Not that I'm advocating it!

:o

That's very naughty! I don't have one myself, and don't want to have one.

The only places where disabled toilets have radar keys seems to be in parks and railway stations (such as Euston station). At Euston, I never have a problem, as there are plenty of other disabled toilets about! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
You could just use it as the name hints you to.. as a laptop? :lol:

Not a bad idea but you'd roast your lap before long :lol:

You're kidding! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I prefer the Sainsbury's. I has more choice and is open to all - not just those with First Class tickets. :)

Ditto (apart from "I has" - either "It has" or "I have" please ;)). I go in there to pick up a cider for the journey back or some food since I prefer to travel light.
As a tangent does anyone know if Rekorderlig cider is still served on board at weekends (can't see it being served on the 06:03 on Monday :lol:)

I think that the lounge could be improved with a small microwave in so certain food can be heated although I admit the smell could become an issue

I detest cubicle style toilets and refuse to use them when I need a no. 2. I also don't use urinals either - far too public!

Same, to the point where I can't physically go in a urinal. I always have a number 2 at home though!

I never bring a laptop with me (unless I'm going to a fares workshop :)). I'm just taking into account peoples' criticisms of the KGX lounge from other threads. :smile: It doesn't bother me personally.

Free WiFi is still good for smartphones :D

All Line Rover

Established Member
Ditto (apart from "I has" - either "It has" or "I have" please ;)). I go in there to pick up a cider for the journey back or some food since I prefer to travel light.

A simple mistake... :)

Free WiFi is still good for smartphones :D

Perhaps, but I don't have - and don't want - a smartphone! What happens if you drop it during a cycle ride!? :lol: (This has happened to me on numerous occasions - one time the phone flung about 5 meters high - and my Nokia is still going strong.)

jon0844

Veteran Member
Perhaps, but I don't have - and don't want - a smartphone! What happens if you drop it during a cycle ride!? :lol: (This has happened to me on numerous occasions - one time the phone flung about 5 meters high - and my Nokia is still going strong.)

The Motorola DEFY and the Sony Ericsson Xperia active are nice rugged phones that won't mind being dropped or soaked, and they're both very well specified smartphones.

cyclebytrain

Back when I did more serious biking, I just insured the phone against accidental damage, so if (when) the screen smashed, it got replaced.

All Line Rover

Established Member
The Motorola DEFY and the Sony Ericsson Xperia active are nice rugged phones that won't mind being dropped or soaked, and they're both very well specified smartphones.

My phone does everything I need it to - it makes phone calls, sends text messages, has a calender, has an alarm clock, accesses the internet (in a limited form that's good enough for me) and plays podcasts! :)

exile

Established Member
I remember there being a restaurant upstairs at Euston which served good breakfasts - I used to go there regularly after getting off the night train from Perth (early 80s)

ApAp

I'm surprised you like the KGX lounge, nothing special whatsoever. Well I've always found the staff very friendly (opposite to your review) but the lounge is dull, grey and has nothing much going for it.

There used to be some plants there to cheer the place up, but NXEC got rid of them pretty quickly and EC never brought them back. There were originally going to be more sofas (according to the pic from the EC website: http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/about-us/Latest-News1/Improving-your-First-Class-experience/) but they never happened.

The best part about the lounge was you could buy food and drinks (alcohol and non-alcohol) from the buffet menu, but that's now been removed too. There's no pub in KGX so being able to have a beer in the lounge on a Friday evening made a lot of sense.

They have added coke to the complimentary items now, that's the only thing you can call an enhancement.

The other lounges have dived in quality. Leeds has needed a refurbishment even in GNER times. Edinburgh used to be quite nice in GNER times (good fishtank, excellent staff) but it's now self service. Newcastle is now unstaffed.

These lounges are very disappointing compared to what the airlines offer. Have you ever visited a BA galleries lounge or the recently refurbished bmi domestic lounge in Heathrow? Just like on-board though, I don't care if I have to pay for food and drink in the lounges (you don't with the airlines though) I just want them to be available.

Best rail domestic lounge so far I've been to is Paddington, it had a lot more character than the dull EUS and KGX offerings although didn't appear to have the option to purchase food and beer. I did like the old KGX lounge though, had a lot more character. Let's see what they do with the new one, although I've lost all faith in East Coast delivering a premium experience.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Best rail domestic lounge so far I've been to is Paddington, it had a lot more character than the dull EUS and KGX offerings although didn't appear to have the option to purchase food and beer.

I too like the PAD lounge because it has some character. :)

It doesn't have Bronte biscuits though!

ApAp

I too like the PAD lounge because it has some character. :)

It doesn't have Bronte biscuits though!

I'll have to try the biscuits next time I go through KGX.

I'm still surprised about your comment on the staff as I do think they're the best point of the EC lounge, so you might have been unlucky. Unfortunately the staff have no need to interact with customers anymore (NXEC stopped the at-seat service for complimentary items that GNER used to offer and now EC have removed the menu for paid items) so their job is basically clearing tables and stocking fridges now and that gives them less chance to excel.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I'll have to try the biscuits next time I go through KGX.

I'm still surprised about your comment on the staff as I do think they're the best point of the EC lounge, so you might have been unlucky. Unfortunately the staff have no need to interact with customers anymore (NXEC stopped the at-seat service for complimentary items that GNER used to offer and now EC have removed the menu for paid items) so their job is basically clearing tables and stocking fridges now and that gives them less chance to excel.

Perhaps I was unlucky. You must try the "orange and chocolate chip" Bronte biscuits - they are DELICIOUS! :D

Bristol Rover

The Paddington Lounge is excellent. Very handy when there are severe delays back to Bristol, and once the delay reaches an hour you know you're in for a refund on your ticket!

Turbocharger

I have only used the FCL at Kingsx when it was GNER and it was fine. I have been in the EC offices beside the new FCL and used the loo, but prefer a cig outside and a good old chat with the staff as they come and go. But I will investigate it and Waverley FCL when I get time :D

All Line Rover

Established Member
I have only used the FCL at Kingsx when it was GNER and it was fine. I have been in the EC offices beside the new FCL and used the loo, but prefer a cig outside and a good old chat with the staff as they come and go. But I will investigate it and Waverley FCL when I get time :D

I myself prefer to be as far away as possible from smokers. ;)

No offense to you personally, but once there was a VT Train Manager (on the Liverpool route) who absolutely stank of cigarette smoke! It was really off-putting! :|

I think Virgin should have a policy of "no smokers allowed", at least for customer facing roles. After all, they'd have a valid reason: "Customers don't like staff to stink!"

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

No offense to you personally, but once there was a VT Train Manager (on the Liverpool route) who absolutely stank of cigarette smoke! It was really off-putting! :|

I think Virgin should have a policy of "no smokers allowed", at least for customer facing roles. After all, they'd have a valid reason: "Customers don't like staff to stink!"

That would be quite bad discrimination...

All Line Rover

Established Member
That would be quite bad discrimination...

Really?

You can't work in catering if you bite your nails because of hygiene reasons. Is that discrimination? Evidently not. It could be considered an "optional" thing.

PROPOSED: You can't work for Virgin Trains in customer facing roles because customers do not like staff who stink of cigarette smoke! Is that discrimination? In my opinion, no. It could also be considered an "optional" thing.

You could say that banning smoking in restaurants and bars could also be considered discrimination, but the government clearly don't view it that way.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I quite like the smell of tobacco smoke anyway, I don't do it myself but the odd whiff of it ain't too bad. The smell from pipes is awesome too.

As for catering. Obviously, but it is a hell of a load easier to stop biting your nails than it is smoking.

you could also say that people who wear aftershave / perfumes shouldn't be allowed - some of the smells are absolutely horrid!

MCR247

Established Member
I quite like the smell of tobacco smoke anyway, I don't do it myself but the odd whiff of it ain't too bad. The smell from pipes is awesome too.

:shock::shock:

I think you're in the minority! I can't stand it!

If I was in All Line Rovers position, I'd make it really obvious that he stunk....

Turbocharger

No offense to you personally,

Lord no, I agree completely. I hate the smell of smoke too. And yes quite right about staff not smelling of smoke. If I worked in a customer facing role I would certainly be very careful about that.

And I will be giving up again if I get the new job I am going for now :D

All Line Rover

Established Member
Lord no, I agree completely. I hate the smell of smoke too. And yes quite right about staff not smelling of smoke. If I worked in a customer facing role I would certainly be very careful about that.

And I will be giving up again if I get the new job I am going for now :D

:shock:

Good luck, whether you get the job or not! :)

What job are you going for? Is it on the railways?

Turbocharger

:shock:

Good luck, whether you get the job or not! :)

What job are you going for? Is it on the railways?

Well yes still going to give up the dreaded weed either way.

I won't say too much yet about the job yet, but yes it is with a TOC.
I am relaxed with interviews, just dreading the tests though.

And no I won't be smoking before I go for them ;)

All Line Rover

Established Member
Well yes still going to give up the dreaded weed either way.

I won't say too much yet about the job yet, but yes it is with a TOC.
I am relaxed with interviews, just dreading the tests though.

And no I won't be smoking before I go for them ;)

Good look with getting the job, too. :smile:

krisk

Are you for real?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

As for catering. Obviously, but it is a hell of a load easier to stop biting your nails than it is smoking.

you could also say that people who wear aftershave / perfumes shouldn't be allowed - some of the smells are absolutely horrid!

First off we don't smoke on the train or sat behind the ticket desk.

Secondly we are told to avoid any overpowering scents.

Finally - to avoid consuming any food that leaves an unpleasant aroma ie anything with excessive garlic, spicy foods etc mainly if taking breaks onboard.

So there are guidelines there, not sure about the smoking thing, I would have thought it less of a problem when people smoke outside than when people took breaks and sat in a "smoking room" where the smell could linger on your clothes.

All Line Rover

Established Member
First off we don't smoke on the train or sat behind the ticket desk.

Secondly we are told to avoid any overpowering scents.

Finally - to avoid consuming any food that leaves an unpleasant aroma ie anything with excessive garlic, spicy foods etc mainly if taking breaks onboard.

So there are guidelines there, not sure about the smoking thing, I would have thought it less of a problem when people smoke outside than when people took breaks and sat in a "smoking room" where the smell could linger on your clothes.

Well you can't smoke on the train or being the ticket desk anyway as it would be illegal! :lol:

There is often a stink in First Class between 5pm and 7pm, but the smell is of BBQ Chicken Wings so I don't mind. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.