• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Ironbridge Line in Telford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanL

The Ironbridge line will be reopening for freight in the future (to remove huge amounts of waste from the demolished power station) as it's a part of the planning application from the Harworth group which will be building over 1,000 homes and associated community facilities (shops/school/etc) on the site. The planning application specifically states that the waste should be removed by rail.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

headshot119

Established Member
The Ironbridge line will be reopening for freight in the future (to remove huge amounts of waste from the demolished power station) as it's a part of the planning application from the Harworth group which will be building over 1,000 homes and associated community facilities (shops/school/etc) on the site. The planning application specifically states that the waste should be removed by rail.

The developer of the housing estate will then find this too difficult, it'll all go out by road, and the local planning department won't do anything about it.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Things written in planning applications change/get ignored quite readily when desired. In the village where I grew up a patch of land got sold for development with a condition to maintain c.10 mature trees as part of a development of 9 houses. There is now 0 mature trees and 10 houses on that land.

dayglorob

Any idea what net load of stone they could remove per train. Ive read that the power station had up to 6000t of coal delivered daily, but its unclear if thats one train or multiple trains.
Network rail have or are going to make a listed building application but theres nothing I can find on Shropshires Planning portal as yet.
A major project to re enforce the ALBERT EDward Bridge commences this autumn. Expected to take 12 months. I understand in readiness to allow use of the bridge again for rail traffic.
Can you point me to your source on this engineering project, thanks

dayglorob

Any idea what net load of stone they could remove per train. Ive read that the power station had up to 6000t of coal delivered daily, but its unclear if thats one train or multiple trains.
Network rail have or are going to make a listed building application but theres nothing I can find on Shropshires Planning portal as yet.

Can you point me to your source on this engineering project, thanks
Apparently the bridge was in close to poor condition in 2014. https://www.railwaydata.co.uk/bridges/overview/?ELR=MJI2&RID=2

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Any idea what net load of stone they could remove per train. Ive read that the power station had up to 6000t of coal delivered daily, but it’s unclear if thats one train or multiple trains.

Typical payload of around 1000t per train.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a reminder that we do ask that any posts of a speculative nature are posted in the Speculative Discussion forum please :)

I have therefore moved some posts to the following thread:

william.martin

On Moderation
Madeley Staffordshire
That one even caught me out, as a local to Telford :lol:
Sand

It's sand

It'll never come back now unfortunately. They've been working on the branch at Madeley on preparation for HS2. HS2 will cross where the silverdale branch crosses the wcml
I regularly walk under that bridge and trust me, it would collapse to an average sized cat walking over it, a train would go right through and end up in Bristol (well, that's if the Severn is fairly full.)
@Jacob Porrett you know what I mean ;)

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
No it was not! Biomass trains continued into the Power Station until closure in November 2015. Also I am sure a couple of other trains operated on the line afterwards too - in 2016?
In 2019 Clun Castle went on the Ironbridge line on a Rail tour which I believe has been the last train to use the line for a good number of years now. Not aware of anything else using it since then.

It would be good to see the line in use again at some point to service Ironbridge/Colport Dale.

william.martin

On Moderation
In 2019 Clun Castle went on the Ironbridge line on a Rail tour which I believe has been the last train to use the line for a good number of years now. Not aware of anything else using it since then.
I can confirm that nothing has gone up there since Clun Castle.
Also I am sure a couple of other trains operated on the line afterwards too - in 2016?
I saw a 60 (the usual) go up there in 2016.

Sparks87

Lots of work undertaken at Madeley Junction the last few weeks with the trackwork/points having been revamped. Also what appears to be drainage works along the Ironbridge Branch.

Strethill Road Crossing in Ironbridge has also had a lot of work undertaken.

So hopefully within the near future the line will see trains again.

Status
Not open for further replies.