• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The most out of date advert you have seen at a station [Triva]

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The other day I saw an advert for Windsor that was a week or so out of date. As in they were advertising something that had ended.

What is the most out-of-date advert you have seen at a station?

I will allow adverts that get uncovered during the rebuilding works but please state this. Also, heritage railways but again state it is a heritage railway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rower40

Bodmin General (heritage) has a tin advert for "Adcoids". Does anyone even know what they are? I don't.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Bodmin General (heritage) has a tin advert for "Adcoids". Does anyone even know what they are? I don't.
Duckham's Adcoids - fuel additive tablets.

Duckham's were a large manufacturer of motoring products such as engine and lubricating oils. I think they were the 2nd largest in Britain and 3rd in the world at one point.

Attachments

• timeline-1934-mobile.jpg
    timeline-1934-mobile.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 51

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Wemyss Bay has some old posters which have been uncovered during restoration and then left in situ.

Morayshire

Wemyss Bay has some old posters which have been uncovered during restoration and then left in situ.
Laurencekirk station has 2 historic posters which somehow managed to survive from the 1960s when the station was closed until it reopened in 2009.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
If you take the Southern exit out of Leeds station there's still an electronic display saying something like "It's a breeze to stay safe" with scrolling animations of people wearing face masks even though it's nearly a year since the requirement to wear a mask on public transport was removed!

Established Member
The adverts for the new St Pancras International Thameslink station (opening 2007) are visible at the old Kings Cross Thameslink ghost station.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Laurencekirk station has 2 historic posters which somehow managed to survive from the 1960s when the station was closed until it reopened in 2009.
Very nice, I know some of those at Wemyss Bay are mid-70s - advertising cheap day single and return fares to Glasgow. Not sure if there are any earlier ones, I can't remember.

Julia

Until very recently, Baker Street platform 1 (one of the Met bays) had a poster for a mid-1970s exhibition.

D821

A similar thing happened when they refurbished Hamilton Square. They were covered up again, but not before they were photographed and replicas produced.
Merseyrail's website has an article about it:

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The adverts for the new St Pancras International Thameslink station (opening 2007) are visible at the old Kings Cross Thameslink ghost station.

(in)famously, First Capital Connect put up big adverts at KX Thameslink just before closure, fully in the knowledge that an isolation would be required to remove them…

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
You can't see these but when we had a renewals job at Hackney Downs Sth Jcn we had to put in support strops under the track (to support the weight of the Kirow crane moving the panels ) in the out of use booking hall and there were posters left on the walls from the day it had shut. That was probably 10 years ago but nothing has happened with booking hall to my knowledge.

Trainlog

I mean Bishopstone station still has posters advertising the intercity 125 as the building was closed off until very recently.
(source railway world)
1673565742509.png

RailWonderer

Established Member
Was at Teddington station a couple of years ago and saw an advert for Pall Mall cigarettes for only £3.60 on the door of a newsagents in the station building.

infobleep

Veteran Member
(in)famously, First Capital Connect put up big adverts at KX Thameslink just before closure, fully in the knowledge that an isolation would be required to remove them…
:lol::lol:

I don't know if this counts but I'll allow it. There was a road sign on the side of Euston station directing you to the Motorail entrance. I saw it some time between 2011 to 2013. I haven't checked it see if it is still there.

The Motorail from Euston ended in 1995 according to Wikipedia.

You can't see these but when we had a renewals job at Hackney Downs Sth Jcn we had to put in support strops under the track (to support the weight of the Kirow crane moving the panels ) in the out of use booking hall and there were posters left on the walls from the day it had shut. That was probably 10 years ago but nothing has happened with booking hall to my knowledge.
Do you know when the posters would have dated from?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Didn't @timmydunn and co-presenter Siddy Holloway do a feature on vintage advertising posters rediscovered 'in situ' in a boarded up part of an LU tube station during a recent episode of "Secrets of the London Underground"?

Andyjs247

Richmond has several old BR era posters, including this one advertising the new Winnersh Triangle station in May 1986.

Attachments

• E74CF132-5D94-4016-8A2E-2A6871A96734.jpeg
    E74CF132-5D94-4016-8A2E-2A6871A96734.jpeg
    633.9 KB · Views: 138

Andyjs247

I think it was more that men had to wait until 65 to be eligible for the Senior Railcard. This would have been before pension ages were equalised.

McRhu

I would love to imagine that there are enamelled adverts for Fry's Five Boys and Beechnut Chewing Gum still lurking in some deeply shadowed corners of some mist-shrouded halt somewhere in the Sceptered Isle.

Oxfordblues

At London Broad Street at the height of The Troubles there was a poster advertising "Northern Ireland for holidays" - the last place you'd want to go.

Atomix330

At Liverpool Street between the running lines for platforms 8 and 9 (I think) about 8 carriage lengths away from the gate line, there is a hoarding with adverts from around 2000.

More on that here.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
It’s not really an advert but someone took down a wooden panel on a sign at High Wycombe station on platform 2 to discover it had been covering a GWR era running in board stating that it was a junction for Marlow and Maidenhead. This would have been about 40 years after the junction and line were closed and lord knows how many years after it was put up as it would have predated BR.

The sign lives on in a modified (they added the word “formerly” to it) state.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
There's a lot of the old-style tin adverts on heritage railways, left or put here to recreate the age which is often represented by the railway. I know of some of the products, but not of many of them - and "Adcoids" is one of the latter.
Didn't @timmydunn and co-presenter Siddy Holloway do a feature on vintage advertising posters rediscovered 'in situ' in a boarded up part of an LU tube station during a recent episode of "Secrets of the London Underground"?
Yes, they did - it was very interesting.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It’s not really an advert but someone took down a wooden panel on a sign at High Wycombe station on platform 2 to discover it had been covering a GWR era running in board stating that it was a junction for Marlow and Maidenhead. This would have been about 40 years after the junction and line were closed and lord knows how many years after it was put up as it would have predated BR.

The sign lives on in a modified (they added the word “formerly” to it) state.
That's nice.

Bogallan

In 2017 I took this photo of a poster at Euston, dating from November 1981, but it was in a non-public area of the station.

Attachments

• C8424346-D74A-4151-B20B-587E2BF591E8.jpeg
    C8424346-D74A-4151-B20B-587E2BF591E8.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 69
Status
Not open for further replies.