• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

the most over the top restrictions introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamiescott1

Went to m&s today to buy some trousers. Changing rooms closed so couldn't try them on. Paid and the receipt printer jammed, the checkout girl asked if I wanted the receipt,I replied "yes, as there's a high chance I need to return them because the changing rooms are closed so I cant try them on"

This is why I try to avoid the high street. Theres absolutely no advantage of using the high street over online shopping

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adc82140

Established Member
I'd like to know why the changing rooms at M&S are shut, whereas they're open in other shops. Inconsistency again. I said this about toilets yesterday. One of them must be wrong, and the wrong one whichever it is needs to be corrected.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This is why I try to avoid the high street. Theres absolutely no advantage of using the high street over online shopping
Well, there is normally!

I'm avoiding all but essential shopping until we get an outbreak of common sense.

I am trying to go to pubs & restaurants more often though; I will give anywhere a try but if anywhere does introduce OTT measures that spoil my enjoyment I won't go there again, and will go elsewhere.

If anyone reading this thread hasn't yet seen it, check out The return to school thread for some over the top measures introduced by schools

I'm not sure whether this is over the top or not, however it is inconsistent.

My wife has had a serious health problem, starting from January. There are several aspects to her condition, which meant that we had to visit four different hospitals. Although many were before lockdown there were restrictions in place. This culminated in a major op on 4th May. This was no great issue apart from very poor food and no visitors allowed to bring in anything. So now she has to go to the hospital for follow-up investigations. She is due in next week for one procedure which is no issue. She is due in the next week in the same hospital for a similar procedure, but for this, we have to go to the hospital, but this time, three days before the procedure we have to go to the hospital for a covid test. Why this time, but not the week before?

takno

Established Member
I'm not sure whether this is over the top or not, however it is inconsistent.

My wife has had a serious health problem, starting from January. There are several aspects to her condition, which meant that we had to visit four different hospitals. Although many were before lockdown there were restrictions in place. This culminated in a major op on 4th May. This was no great issue apart from very poor food and no visitors allowed to bring in anything. So now she has to go to the hospital for follow-up investigations. She is due in next week for one procedure which is no issue. She is due in the next week in the same hospital for a similar procedure, but for this, we have to go to the hospital, but this time, three days before the procedure we have to go to the hospital for a covid test. Why this time, but not the week before?
It may be senseless - there's certainly a lot of pretty arbitrary things going on, and hospitals can be surprisingly arbitrary about very specific hygiene standards at the best of times. However in this case it may relate to how close the contact between patient and staff has to be to perform the procedure, whether the procedure is likely to generate aerosols or airborne droplets, whether she will spend recuperative time close to other patients, or even risks to get from the procedure which would be made worse by the presence of Covid.

It may be senseless - there's certainly a lot of pretty arbitrary things going on, and hospitals can be surprisingly arbitrary about very specific hygiene standards at the best of times. However in this case it may relate to how close the contact between patient and staff has to be to perform the procedure, whether the procedure is likely to generate aerosols or airborne droplets, whether she will spend recuperative time close to other patients, or even risks to get from the procedure which would be made worse by the presence of Covid.

The procedures are both very similar, they are both 'oscopies', they are both under general anaesthetic, and if either is likely to be an issue it is the first one with no covid test. The second is probably less of an issue but requires a test.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Some of the toilet cubicles at Grand Central New St have been locked, however i can't understand why as the cubicle partitions go from the floor to the ceiling with no gaps...

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Some of the toilet cubicles at Grand Central New St have been locked, however i can't understand why as the cubicle partitions go from the floor to the ceiling with no gaps...
To be seen to be doing something, I imagine.

But these are the worst kind as air/virus droplets have fewer options for dispersal. Those with smaller partitions, ie. not floor to ceiling, are better. The aim is to get as much dispersal as possible, so the concentration of droplets is low rather to avoid any at all.

takno

Established Member
But these are the worst kind as air/virus droplets have fewer options for dispersal. Those with smaller partitions, ie. not floor to ceiling, are better. The aim is to get as much dispersal as possible, so the concentration of droplets is low rather to avoid any at all.
That's true, but it makes it doubly important to have all the cubicles open so that you maximize the time between people using them

jumble

Somewhere else I went to wanted me to scan a QR code, but when I said I didn't have a smartphone, the waiter used his own phone to scan the QR code and then put in my details. So for every problem there is a solution, if you are prepared to look for it.
My understanding is that it is not mandatory for the venue to insist on T and T
Therefore if this was in England they have found a solution to a problem that did not exist
(It is different in Wales and Scotland)

birchesgreen

Established Member

So in that case you need to close all of them then?

Bantamzen

Established Member

If only there was some way of preventing the spread of droplets from toilets, say some form of lid or cover?

takno

Established Member
If only there was some way of preventing the spread of droplets from toilets, say some form of lid or cover?
It's the aerosols from breath as much as the ones from flushing that are the problem. The droplets should largely have hit the floor by the time the next customer arrives. I think the notion that anybody's in there for long enough for it to be a serious issue is fanciful anyway, unless they are using it for ancillary purposes

Bikeman78

Established Member
Two recent examples, a flight in Canada was cancelled because a three year old didn't have a mask.
A Canadian flight was cancelled and police were called because a child was not wearing a mask.

He says WestJet was aggressive, and told them that because his youngest daughter was not wearing a mask, and was too upset to wear a mask, the whole family would have to leave.

He says they told them that if they did not leave, they could be arrested, charged and receive prison time.
185 year 7 pupils in a school in Newport told to self isolate for two weeks because one pupil tested positive. So what happens when they go back and someone else tests positive? Another two weeks off? They won't learn much carrying on like that.
All Year 7 children at two Newport secondary schools have been told to self-isolate after pupils tested positive for coronavirus.

Lliswerry and St Joseph's Roman Catholic high schools said children should stay away for two weeks.

Newport council said "focused" cleaning was taking place at both schools and other year groups should still attend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bantamzen

Established Member
Two recent examples, a flight in Canada was cancelled because a three year old didn't have a mask.

185 year 7 pupils in a school in Newport told to self isolate for two weeks because one pupil tested positive. So what happens when they go back and someone else tests positive? Another two weeks off? They won't learn much carrying on like that.

Strangely enough the large public sector building I usually work has had several cases. They've just kicked everyone out, done a deep clean, offered tests & reopened.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Up here it is just close contacts who need to isolate. I imagine that'll be their close friends, and anyone who they sit next to in a classroom, and perhaps the teachers they had on the last day they were in school.

DB

Up here it is just close contacts who need to isolate. I imagine that'll be their close friends, and anyone who they sit next to in a classroom, and perhaps the teachers they had on the last day they were in school.

The teachers would likely be further away from them than many of the other kids in the class.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I suggest Ms. Sturgeon's limit of only 2 households because of a rise in cases to around 150 a day. Seems a little harsh when in England it's 6 households.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I suggest Ms. Sturgeon's limit of only 2 households because of a rise in cases to around 150 a day. Seems a little harsh when in England it's 6 households.
Would like to know the scientific rationale behind these numbers. Expect it's just made up as neither Boris nor Sturgeon seem to have any science behind their decisions. Seems they're now just rolling dice; wrecking lives and they seem to be loving the power. Really wish some MPs would start to question these decisions but seems popularity is more important.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Would like to know the scientific rationale behind these numbers. Expect it's just made up as neither Boris nor Sturgeon seem to have any science behind their decisions. Seems they're now just rolling dice; wrecking lives and they seem to be loving the power. Really wish some MPs would start to question these decisions but seems popularity is more important.

The only MP who seems to have questioned it at all is Steve Baker:

Steve Baker MP said:
Measures signed into law by @MattHancock look increasingly disproportionate

I'm finding usually sensible people are alarmed by the Government's authoritarian reaction to #COVID19 - and no wonder

Ministers must have regard to the rights of a free people, whatever the advice

But he is very much a fringe figure, despite being part of the governing party. He certainly doesn't have much power to actually influence what Boris decides to do.

Last edited:

scotrail158713

Established Member
I’m definitely not in agreement with Nicola Sturgeon’s responses throughout all of this, but to me the Scottish rules - only on this aspect I should stress - make more sense. The main aim to me seems to be stopping large gatherings in houses, and limiting it to two households being able to meet together, for me, will probably tackle it more efficiently.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

The Oddfellow arms in Sherburn in Elmet, North Yorkshire, said in a Facebook post today (Thursday) that it will no longer allow 18 to 25-year-olds inside.

The move has been met with some anger, with several people writing on social media to claim that it was ageist.

Another pub to put on the avoid list!

adc82140

Established Member
As they are private property they can. Age isn't a protected characteristic. There are plenty of "25" pubs out there who want to keep the student element out.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Age is a protected characteristic, as defined by the Equality Act 2010.
Without looking at the Act, I guess it would be relating to matters of employment etc but would not stop a venue having particular requirements of their customers.

adc82140

Established Member
Correct. They could say that all customers must wear a Mickey Mouse costume and sing "when you wish upon a star" to order a drink. It's discriminatory against people who can't sing or who can't afford a Mickey Mouse costume, they'd get very few customers but it's not illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.