• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Penrhyn Quarry Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first article in a short series on the tramroad and later railway that served the Penrhyn Quarries, bring slate down to Porth Penrhyn...

Penrhyn is the Welsh word for 'promontory'.

"The history of Port Penrhyn can be traced back as early as 1713 when it was recorded that 14 shipments totalling 415,000 slates had been sent to Dublin. In 1720, another 8 shipments totalling 155,000 slates were sent to Dublin, two to Drogheda (20,000) and one to Belfast (35,000). Two years later, a shipment of 80,000 slates were sent to Dunkirk. After these few shipments only coastal traffic left from Aber-Cegin (Port Penrhyn) until Richard Pennant took over the ownership of Penrhyn Estates and appointed Benjamin Wyatt in 1786 as agent."

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah. A really interesting little network that I can’t unfortunately read about now (I don’t think my mother-in-law would approve). Reminder set to read tomorrow Roger. ;)

theageofthetra

On Moderation
This is the first article in a short series on the tramroad and later railway that served the Penrhyn Quarries, bring slate down to Porth Penrhyn...

Fascinating article, thanks for sharing.

Calthrop

Established Member
Indeed full of interest: this is an outfit about which I haven't known a lot -- much new and intriguing material.

I first became aware of the existence of the Penrhyn narrow-gauge slate railway, aged seven or so: looking at a venerable O.S. "one-inch" map (date, I figure, shortly pre-Grouping); come down from mother's side of family -- featuring mostly Anglesey, where they had spent holidays in the 1920s; plus adjoining mainland bits. (Am fortunate to have said map still in my possession today.) I observed on this chart, the "mineral-lines-sidings-and-tramways"-symbol'd line labelled "Penrhyn Quarry Ry.", taking its sinuous course from the quarries, to Port Penrhyn; and doing so "box-and-cox" with the L. & N.W. single-line standard-gauge branch from Bangor, plus its separate freight spur to the Port; the respective lines crossing each other at several points. I recall wondering in my childish way: why the different lines on different gauges -- and why could the L. & N.W. standard gauge not have dealt with all the slate traffic?

As recounted, including in OP's linked-to article: the "new" (for steam traction) narrow-gauge line had entered service in 1879: the standard gauge a latecomer -- though only a bit of one, opened for freight in 1885. One does muse a little: "if timings had been a bit different, what then?"; and wonderings as to how cut-throat, was the competition between the different undertakings / lines, for the slate traffic: which it seems that the L. & N.W. had an interest in getting a share of. I'm hoping for enlightenment re these matters, in the forthcoming part of the article...

Trackman

Established Member
Thanks @rogerfarnworth

I've been to the railway museum at Penrhyn Castle, had lots of information there but not as detailed as your article.
In fact it's worth a visit just for a look around the castle and see how small Queen Victoria's slate-made bed was, which HM was not amused about!

Indeed full of interest: this is an outfit about which I haven't known a lot -- much new and intriguing material.

I first became aware of the existence of the Penrhyn narrow-gauge slate railway, aged seven or so: looking at a venerable O.S. "one-inch" map (date, I figure, shortly pre-Grouping); come down from mother's side of family -- featuring mostly Anglesey, where they had spent holidays in the 1920s; plus adjoining mainland bits. (Am fortunate to have said map still in my possession today.) I observed on this chart, the "mineral-lines-sidings-and-tramways"-symbol'd line labelled "Penrhyn Quarry Ry.", taking its sinuous course from the quarries, to Port Penrhyn; and doing so "box-and-cox" with the L. & N.W. single-line standard-gauge branch from Bangor, plus its separate freight spur to the Port; the respective lines crossing each other at several points. I recall wondering in my childish way: why the different lines on different gauges -- and why could the L. & N.W. standard gauge not have dealt with all the slate traffic?

As recounted, including in OP's linked-to article: the "new" (for steam traction) narrow-gauge line had entered service in 1879: the standard gauge a latecomer -- though only a bit of one, opened for freight in 1885. One does muse a little: "if timings had been a bit different, what then?"; and wonderings as to how cut-throat, was the competition between the different undertakings / lines, for the slate traffic: which it seems that the L. & N.W. had an interest in getting a share of. I'm hoping for enlightenment re these matters, in the forthcoming part of the article...
Hi Calthrop, and a Happy New Year.
I am glad you liked this piece. I am not sure how much I can offer on the competition angle but it does seem that the various operations existed alongside each other until road competition put the pressure on both. But it is an interesting question!
Best wishes
Roger

Thanks @rogerfarnworth

I've been to the railway museum at Penrhyn Castle, had lots of information there but not as detailed as your article.
In fact it's worth a visit just for a look around the castle and see how small Queen Victoria's slate-made bed was, which HM was not amused about!
Thank you.

A follow up (on 4/1/23) to Calthrop's comments on competition in the transport of slate from Penrhyn Quarry. ... My research over the last few days has produced very little information about transport costs. The PQR was, of course, a private line owned by the Quarry company and provided a direct line to the port. The LNWR would have charged the Quarry Company for the trip. The PQR may also have be favoured by there being no need to transfer slate between wagons of different gauges at the railhead, as it was of the same gauge (I think) as the internal rail system at the Quarry. I mentioned the advent of and improvements in road transport being a major factor. This was, no doubt, the case. But it seems that the single most influential issue was the drop in demand for high quality Welsh slate worldwide. The linked article below shows how dramatic the drop in demand was. ....

Last edited:
A further note in response to Calthrop's message ......

I have final managed to secure a copy of James Boyd's book about the line at a reasonable price. On pages 40 and 41 of the book he comments on the Bethesda Branch (LNWR) ..... "The branch was an expensive one and can never have covered it's costs. The slate transfer bank at Bethesda accepted some slate from the local Coetmor Quarry which arrived by cart, and a fractional amount for local use came similarly from Penrhyn Quarry, but it was 'never really used' according to Dunn."

Later, on page 42, Boyd refers to a plan made by Captain I. Griffith, Manager in the period 1928-1946 to close the PQR and make a connection to what was by then the LMS Bethesda Branch. Boyd says that this would have involved considerable double handling.

ian1944

Thanks @rogerfarnworth

As an aside on the castle, I remember a visit one summer many years ago on what was a hot day for N. Wales and how cold it was inside. Also, what a ludicrous creation the (were there more than one?) slate bed was - very much, we could do it so we did do it. Did coal owners ever do the same sort of thing?

Calthrop

Established Member
A further note in response to Calthrop's message ......

I have final managed to secure a copy of James Boyd's book about the line at a reasonable price. On pages 40 and 41 of the book he comments on the Bethesda Branch (LNWR) ..... "The branch was an expensive one and can never have covered it's costs. The slate transfer bank at Bethesda accepted some slate from the local Coetmor Quarry which arrived by cart, and a fractional amount for local use came similarly from Penrhyn Quarry, but it was 'never really used' according to Dunn."

Later, on page 42, Boyd refers to a plan made by Captain I. Griffith, Manager in the period 1928-1946 to close the PQR and make a connection to what was by then the LMS Bethesda Branch. Boyd says that this would have involved considerable double handling.

Thanks -- so in fact, the L&NW and successors, got almost none of the slate traffic -- no doubt to their regret.

Will admit to not having realised that Boyd had done a book on the Penrhyn. For sure, that chap covered the North Wales slate lines most diligently ! Continuing in "confession" mode: while respecting Boyd's erudition: call me shallow, but I find his writings often (not absolutely always) somewhat dry; and dauntingly detailed and all-embracing -- "This book told me more about penguins than I ever really wanted to know" syndrome. I possess his two volumes on the Ffestiniog Railway -- "solidarity" with the Ffestiniog, which I have loved almost since infancy -- but will own up to having read far less than every word of them.

Hi Calthrop, I am about halfway through the volume on the Penrhyn Quarry Railway which means I still have his detailed look at the quarry and his coverage of locomotives and rolling stock to digest. The book is a hardback Oakwood Press volume which I picked up in a very good second-hand condition. I do like the drawings! I was always best at reading picture books!

Best wishes

Roger

My second article about the Penrhyn Quarry Railway covers the line built for steam locos. This article considers the line from Porth Penrhyn to Felin-Fawr and the entrance to the Quarry. I have not covered the preservation activities which for a time were active at Felin-Fawr. A further article will deal with the quarry's internal railways. ....

Great articles; thanks very much for sharing them.

I'm not sure Wikipedia is correct for the closure date for Bethesda station as I travelled on the branch after that date; it was on a SLS special which covered the branch, along with the Llanberis and Nantlle branches and the Nantlle Tramway. There's a photo of the special arriving at Llanberis in Bill Rear's book about the Bangor - Afonwen line and its branches, and it gives the date as 20th October, 1963

Don't know if it's relevant to your work, but do you know that BR had some Pallbrick wagons in circuit and stencilled "Return to Port Penrhyn (LMR)" for carrying slate?

Thank you for your comments. I have tried looking for an alternative date for closure without success. Is it possible that the SLS special happened after closure at the beginning of October but before track-Iifting?

This should link to a photo taken by Ron Fisher of the Caernarvonshire Railtour of 20th October 1963; if you look at this and the following few photos, you will see that under one of them Ron has said that this was the last train on the branch, and that track lifting started the following day.

Somebody's changed the Wikipedia entry for Bethesda station in the last few days!

It was showing July 1962, but this has been deleted; however, I've just discovered that Bethesda is also covered by the Disused Stations website, and this shows the 20th October 1963 - the date of the railtour - as the closing date for the branch. The website also show's Ron Fisher's photos of the last train to Bethesda; note how the track was well maintained until the end, a credit to those involved.

Thank you for persisting with this and checking this out further. I have changed the blog article to give October 1963 as the month of closure. Kind regards. Roger

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Many thanks @rogerfarnworth for your excellent work on the PQR, I found the maps fascinating, had I known Google Streetview were going to call, I would have moved our motley collection of vehicles
to expose more of the old Tramway! I explored the PQR 'mainline' and the tramway when I moved to a house adjacent to the latter just over 30 years ago. I certainly could have utilised the maps then,
from what I recall all I had were the rather rudimentary maps in Boyd (op cit). Of course a further 30 years of growth has occurred, but there are still many features easily identifiable. The footbridge
mentioned at the approach to Feli Fawr was a wooden affair, rather rickety when I crossed it and unsurprisingly blew down in a storm not long after.
I have a fond memory of stepping up to the PQR on a beautiful June evening in 1992 and to my left was a vixen suckling her cubs against a tree in the dappled sunlight, not sure who was more surprised!
Incidentally, I found a number of old tramway artefacts whilst digging in my garden back then (alternativly they were known as 'bits of old metal' to my partner who has no understanding of railway history!)
After lying around the shed for many years, I took them to the Heritage Museim where they were gratefully cleaned up by one of the volunteers and put on show (pics below)

Attachments

• WP_20191030_15_48_11_Pro.jpg
    WP_20191030_15_48_11_Pro.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • WP_20191030_15_48_07_Pro.jpg
    WP_20191030_15_48_07_Pro.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • WP_20191030_15_48_03_Pro.jpg
    WP_20191030_15_48_03_Pro.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Thank you! Both for the reflections and the pictures. One item is clearly a chair, do you know more about the other two? They seem to have cleaned up rather well!

KNotts

Thank you! Both for the reflections and the pictures. One item is clearly a chair, do you know more about the other two? They seem to have cleaned up rather well!
The other two items look like single ends of broken sleepers for very early round bar rail, such rail being turned down at the ends to form a very flat inverted U shape.
The one with 2 holes being a joint sleeper to accept the adjacent ends of 2 rails.
The other being an intermediate chair sleeper.

The other two items look like single ends of broken sleepers for very early round bar rail, such rail being turned down at the ends to form a very flat inverted U shape.
The one with 2 holes being a joint sleeper to accept the adjacent ends of 2 rails.
The other being an intermediate chair sleeper.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.