• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The rapid decline of Bournemouth’s Yellow Buses network

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
Apologies for an essay-length post, but as somebody who has recently travelled on Bournemouth’s Yellow Buses, I feel that they have really gone downhill ever since their network change in 2017, when they ditched their well-known suffixed route system in favour of a completely unrelated prefix one. Despite being reversed a year later, YB have since then pruned a huge chunk of their network, leaving Morebus to pick up the pieces and get ahead of the competition.

For me, the “Golden Era” of Yellow buses was between 2006 and 2017, when the company was taken over by Transdev and later RATP Group. This begun with the introduction of the suffixed numbering system, which was a very simple system to understand with numbers dedicated to a single corridor as follows:

1a/1b/1c - Christchurch Road
2a/2b/2c - Holdenhurst Road
3a/3b/3c - Charminster Road
4a/4b - Wimborne Road
5a/5b - Charminster & Alma Road
6a/6b/6c - Wallisdown Road

There were also some outlying routes in the system, such as the 18 (Bournemouth to Broadstone) and 26 (Poole to Boscombe via the University), as well as later additions to the suffixed lines network such as the 4c and 4d to West Moors and Wimborne respectively. It was a very comprehensive and well-covered network, with almost nowhere within the Bournemouth-Poole conurbation being unserved (apart from ironically where I live, despite the nearest YB route being a 30 minute walk away which is luckily within reach for somebody young and fit like myself).

I would say that the network begun to go downhill in the autumn of 2016, when YB withdrew their direct airport service (numbered A1 at the time) in favour of a longer route via Winton. This was done to avoid queues at the A338/B3073 junction even though it led to a longer journey time, and at the expense of a half-hourly service to West Moors, which was the only direct service from there to Bournemouth (the X6 existed then but took the long way round via Verwood, as it still does today). Less than six months later the major recast came along which changed everything.

YB decided to scrap their excellent suffix-based route numbering system in favour of a prefixed-based one, with some routes changing completely. Many of these did not correlate into single corridors, and even the tendered services were incorporated into the system, which didn’t really make sense as these were only low frequency. The letter prefixed routes were as follows:
  • R1, R2, R3 (Royal Line) - replacing the 1b & 1c to Poole, and the 2 & 3 to RB Hospital
  • P1, P2, P3 (Priory Line) - replacing route 1 services to Christchurch
  • B1, B2, B3, B4 (Bourne Line) - replacing route 4 services via Wimborne Road
  • V1, V2 (Village Line) - replacing route 5 services to Kinson
  • U6, U7, U8, U9, U10 (Uni Line) - replacing all services running via Bournemouth University (U1-U5 were not used to avoid confusion with Morebus’s Unibus network)
  • C1 (Coast Line) - replacing the 2 to Alum Chine and the Castlepoint section of tendered route 20
  • D1 (Dolphin Line) - replacing the tendered routes 33 and Poole section of route 20
  • H1 (Heath Line) - replacing the tendered route 18
These changes were met with outrage by locals, and many passengers were confused by the new system. Poole also lost its frequent buses to Christchurch, with outlying areas such as Ferndown and Burton also shafted. A year later in 2018, YB finally realised their mistake and completely restored their suffix system, with some alterations as follows:
  • All routes which previously had the highest lettered suffix were replaced with no suffix (so the 1c became 1, 4b became 4 etc).
  • The 3 was extended to Poole, putting it into direct competition with Morebus’s m1. YB’s route 1 (nee 1c) had already been competing with the m2 for some time.
  • The now isolated service to Alum Chine was renumbered as the 7
  • The former 26 route was renumbered as the 8, although it no longer ran west of Wallisdown to Poole
While these changes were initially thought to have relieved the disastrous network revamp of 2017, it was very short lived. Over time, many parts of the network were pruned back, including the withdrawal of the 8, reduction of the 1b to Somerford and probably most controversial of all, the near-complete abandonment of Poole altogether with the 3 extension withdrawn and the 1 west of Bournemouth reduced to a half-hourly express service avoiding Upper Parkstone.

While there have been some positive developments such as the extension of the 1a to New Milton, 6 to Wimborne via Merley and the introduction of summer services to Hengistbury Head, the Yellow Buses network overall has been in a downward spiral over the past five years. Routes such as the 4a (the only direct link between Northbourne parade and Bournemouth) have been withdrawn in recent weeks, while the 3 which once boasted a 7-8 minute frequency is now every 20 minutes. Today’s introduction of the Morebus m1 extension to Bournemouth Hospital is likely to see a lot of YB passengers flock to that route since it now entirely duplicates route 3, which today is a much lower frequency and thus has no unique selling point anymore.

I once used to favour Yellow Buses with their comprehensive network, but with so little left it now seems that Morebus are definitely the more dominant operator in Bournemouth. It will be interesting to see how the future years pan out for Yellow Buses, but I can’t see any rapid expansion in the same sense that there was a decade ago. The golden days are over, and perhaps it is time that YB solely focuses on the few areas of Bournemouth which have not yet been colonised by its biggest rival.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johncrossley

Established Member
Surely having two separate networks is no longer sustainable? This area is one of the most obvious candidates for rationalisation, either through partnership or franchising, especially given that Bus Back Better heavily criticised the ticketing in the region.

Titfield

Established Member
When Bournemouth Council sold what was then Yellow Buses it was widely hoped that they would be bought by Morebus so that there could be a single unified network across the three towns. The fact that the three local authorities have been combined to create BCP Council (Bmth, Christchurch and Poole) surely indicates that the once (very much) three very separate towns have in fact become one large conurbation.

Cesarcollie

When Bournemouth Council sold what was then Yellow Buses it was widely hoped that they would be bought by Morebus so that there could be a single unified network across the three towns. The fact that the three local authorities have been combined to create BCP Council (Bmth, Christchurch and Poole) surely indicates that the once (very much) three very separate towns have in fact become one large conurbation.
It is unlikely Morebus would have been allowed to buy YB by the competition authorities ( the CMA).

Stan Drews

Established Member
I seem to recall that they were making fairly significant losses before the pandemic, which led to some thinning of the network as they tried to at least break even.

Titfield

Established Member
It is unlikely Morebus would have been allowed to buy YB by the competition authorities ( the CMA).

Undertakings relating to fares, timetables and routes to allow new entrants to the market could have been put in place.

The reality is that the BCP area now suffers from some of the worst congestion in the country and has a relatively poor public transport infrastructure.

PTR 444

Established Member
Surely having two separate networks is no longer sustainable? This area is one of the most obvious candidates for rationalisation, either through partnership or franchising, especially given that Bus Back Better heavily criticised the ticketing in the region.
This would be a good idea IMO. It would allow for a standard route numbering system and remove any duplicate numbers within BCP, just like the London model. The only issue is, would such a system be able to cover routes which serve BCP passengers but also go much further afield, such as those to Ferndown, Wimborne and Swanage?
Undertakings relating to fares, timetables and routes to allow new entrants to the market could have been put in place.

The reality is that the BCP area now suffers from some of the worst congestion in the country and has a relatively poor public transport infrastructure.
I’m not surprised really. The main Bournemouth - Poole road through Ashley Cross and Branksome often takes 40 minutes just to complete a 4 mile journey. Not too dissimilar to the situation in most of suburban London. The railway is there for much quicker journeys, but is relatively infrequent for an urban area, and cannot be increased due to the need to put London and the wider South East passengers before local BCP citizens.

What is needed is a BRT system linking Poole, Bournemouth and Christchurch, although a dedicated route would require extensive demolition in the Parkstone area. An alternative option could be to merge the Park Gates and County Gates gyratories into one super-gyratory, with the current A35 forming the eastbound route and Lindsay Road/Penn Hill Avenue forming the westbound route. That way there would be room for a dedicated bus lane all the way from Bournemouth to Poole in each direction, which would still be a lot better than the current situation.

johncrossley

Established Member
This would be a good idea IMO. It would allow for a standard route numbering system and remove any duplicate numbers within BCP, just like the London model. The only issue is, would such a system be able to cover routes which serve BCP passengers but also go much further afield, such as those to Ferndown, Wimborne and Swanage?

Before TfL, there were a lot of cross-boundary routes into Greater London and they had to accept Travelcards and other London Transport tickets. Now there is the complication of Oyster and low fares within London, a lot of those have gone away. However, TfL have taken over some of those routes themselves. There will be similar issues when Greater Manchester's franchising scheme comes in. Outside operators will have to follow the rules or TfGM will take those routes over.

They could do what they did in Oxford with the council brokered deal where they decided to have just one operator on each main corridor. However, ticketing is still flawed as they have kept the single company tickets. Bournemouth/Poole could mandate one ticket range.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

That is the crux of the matter.

To be blunt, no amount of pipe dreams about rapid transit systems or London style franchising doesn't get away from the fact that bus priority is piecemeal and that is the real enemy is congestion. No point in having your bus being publicly owned or managed if it's still stuck in the same congestion as it was when it was a private, commercial venture. That is the reality, as @Titfield right says

Nice shot between Pokesdown and Boscombe.... you could have a bus and cycle lane but instead, it's cars as far as the eye can see except the Yellow Buses B9 fighting past!!
1653816157932.png

There is, of course, the multi-operator ticket that you can have for £5 https://www.gettingabout.co.uk/Bus/Bus-docs/Getting-About-card-leaflet-2019.pdf (an extra 80p, if you buy on bus, seems a steep increment)

Titfield

Established Member

I’m not surprised really. The main Bournemouth - Poole road through Ashley Cross and Branksome often takes 40 minutes just to complete a 4 mile journey. Not too dissimilar to the situation in most of suburban London. The railway is there for much quicker journeys, but is relatively infrequent for an urban area, and cannot be increased due to the need to put London and the wider South East passengers before local BCP citizens.

What is needed is a BRT system linking Poole, Bournemouth and Christchurch, although a dedicated route would require extensive demolition in the Parkstone area. An alternative option could be to merge the Park Gates and County Gates gyratories into one super-gyratory, with the current A35 forming the eastbound route and Lindsay Road/Penn Hill Avenue forming the westbound route. That way there would be room for a dedicated bus lane all the way from Bournemouth to Poole in each direction, which would still be a lot better than the current situation.

There was a scheme (IIRC in the 1980s) to extend the Wessex Way from County Gates all the way through Upper Parkstone to eventually link up with the Old Wareham Road (dual carriageway) in the Rossmore / Alderney area to provide effectively a dual carriageway across the entire conurbation. This was dropped due to intense local opposition in Upper Parkstone.

I do not think there are any easy answers but it is somewhat unfortunate that the run down of rail services in the 1960s (the closure of Bournemouth West Railway Station, the closure of Boscombe Station and the removal of four track mainline) makes improving rail very difficult.

PTR 444

Established Member
There was a scheme (IIRC in the 1980s) to extend the Wessex Way from County Gates all the way through Upper Parkstone to eventually link up with the Old Wareham Road (dual carriageway) in the Rossmore / Alderney area to provide effectively a dual carriageway across the entire conurbation. This was dropped due to intense local opposition in Upper Parkstone.
I thought the proposal was to link County Gates with Alderney West roundabout rather than Old Wareham Road (cutting through heathland rather than suburbia), unless this was an alternative option?

I do not think there are any easy answers but it is somewhat unfortunate that the run down of rail services in the 1960s (the closure of Bournemouth West Railway Station, the closure of Boscombe Station and the removal of four track mainline) makes improving rail very difficult.
Even if it reopened today, I don’t think Boscombe station would be used much. It’s still a walk from Boscombe centre, and Pokesdown is only slightly further while being of much more used due to better proximity to bus services. It might serve a purpose on AFC Bournemouth matchdays however, since it would be the closest station to Kings Park.

Titfield

Established Member
I thought the proposal was to link County Gates with Alderney West roundabout rather than Old Wareham Road (cutting through heathland rather than suburbia), unless this was an alternative option?

Even if it reopened today, I don’t think Boscombe station would be used much. It’s still a walk from Boscombe centre, and Pokesdown is only slightly further while being of much more used due to better proximity to bus services. It might serve a purpose on AFC Bournemouth matchdays however, since it would be the closest station to Kings Park.

It may have been Alderney West but I cant remember if that roundabout had been built at that time.

Regarding Boscombe possibly not. It just seems such a wasted opportunity not to expand the rail service frequency.

SW Buses

One does wonder if the 2017 changes were so confusing that any loyalty was lost. Reversing this, in some part, to try and correct this was probably the right move but after 12 months of dissatisfaction, it was bound to have a negative ling term effect. then along cam the Pandemic.

In the Bus Service Improvement Plan (BSIP) for the area is there any intent to ‘rationalise’ some of the competing elements of the combined network?

Last edited:

Titfield

Established Member
That might be the case but we are where we are. It's what we can realistically do now that is the challenge!

Yes "we are where we are" however I am always concerned that many organisations repeat this statement without recognising the mistakes / misjudgements of the past and have failed to learn any lessons thus they are doomed to repeat their mistakes time and time again.

BCP Yellow Buses and Morebus need to get a grip and devise a viable network that meets the needs of the people. Having just looked at the YB network map I am incredulous that the "17" Alum Chine service no longer exists.

PTR 444

Established Member
BCP Yellow Buses and Morebus need to get a grip and devise a viable network that meets the needs of the people. Having just looked at the YB network map I am incredulous that the "17" Alum Chine service no longer exists.
Alum Chine was served by route 12 until April, to be replaced by the summer-only Buster’s Beach Bus route. Bizarrely, it does not accept the zone A day ticket, meaning one must fork out at least £6.50 just to travel to Bournemouth, despite the route being exactly the same frequency and serving the same places as the 12.

It will be interesting to see whether route 12 returns for the winter or if YB shafts Alum Chine completely, leaving no reasonably priced provision for locals.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Yes "we are where we are" however I am always concerned that many organisations repeat this statement without recognising the mistakes / misjudgements of the past and have failed to learn any lessons thus they are doomed to repeat their mistakes time and time again.
I was talking about the rail reductions and rationalisations of the 1960s. Not much point about bemoaning those changes now - that is well in the past.

Titfield

Established Member
I was talking about the rail reductions and rationalisations of the 1960s. Not much point about bemoaning those changes now - that is well in the past.

Yes very well in the past. The point I should have made was that operators make changes to their services (routing and frequency) at their peril. Perhaps it is inevitable that we only hear about "negative" changes but it does seem as if operators fail to appreciate that changes seem to cost passengers.

I used to live in Alum Chine (admittedly many years ago) and the area has changed from being a tourist area with a large number of hotels and guest houses to one of houses in multiple occupation. I am gobsmacked though that there is insufficient demand for a year round half hourly service as the 17 route was those years ago,

341o2

Established Member

And it will only get worse with BCP's active travel scheme, aka a cycle path alongside every street created by making existing roads narrower

miklcct

On Moderation
Alum Chine was served by route 12 until April, to be replaced by the summer-only Buster’s Beach Bus route. Bizarrely, it does not accept the zone A day ticket, meaning one must fork out at least £6.50 just to travel to Bournemouth, despite the route being exactly the same frequency and serving the same places as the 12.

Thanks for pointing this out. I presumed the BBB is a direct replacement of the 12 but the usual tickets are no longer accepted. We can now be loyal to morebus 70 in the summer season using a zone A ticket. Morebus 70 has been rerouted to serve Westbourne like the 50 which provides a direct connection to Poole in addition to Bournemouth.

One more place where Yellow Buses is pulling out of its normal business.

I can foresee the 50 making a detour into Alum Chine if Yellow Buses 12 doesn't return in winter.

During my year living in Bournemouth, I was first loyal to morebus, then after the 3x commenced I switched over to Yellow as 3x offered longer service hours than the morebus rivals. However, the service was so bad that in the worst month on half of the days the bus didn't run at all and I actually opened a case on Bus Users UK about it. Eventually I stopped buying month tickets and bought carnets instead as my training schedule became that it would fit a Yellow 3x outbound and morebus X3 return, or vice versa.

However, the 3x has failed completely against the 15-minute Hospital - Bournemouth daytime frequency of X1/X2/X3/X6 combined and got modified to serve Charminster instead, giving the whole of Bournemouth - Hospital market back to morebus X routes.

There is now no longer any reason to take a Yellow Buses where morebus has a service.

83G/84D

Established Member
Slightly off topic but Scania N230 OmniCity YT59 DYW seen at Bournemouth Yeoman's Way yesterday. It was in London red and only partially visible from the bus stop outside.

Titfield

Established Member
Slightly off topic but Scania N230 OmniCity YT59 DYW seen at Bournemouth Yeoman's Way yesterday. It was in London red and only partially visible from the bus stop outside.
May have been there because of the Bournemouth Bus Rally which was held yesterday in Kings Park.

richard13

I note that following the extension of the M1 to the Hospital, the Yellow bus 3 is withdrawn from 24 July apart from a few staff journeys. Hardly a surprise even though the M1 was reduced from every 7.5 minutes to every 8 compared to the 3s every 20 mins.
The 3X stays half hourly, but now from Westbourne with some early and evening journeys to/from Poole Hospital and Nurses home.

Seems like another step of decline.

The new timetables are on travelinesw.com

miklcct

On Moderation
I note that following the extension of the M1 to the Hospital, the Yellow bus 3 is withdrawn from 24 July apart from a few staff journeys. Hardly a surprise even though the M1 was reduced from every 7.5 minutes to every 8 compared to the 3s every 20 mins.
The 3X stays half hourly, but now from Westbourne with some early and evening journeys to/from Poole Hospital and Nurses home.

The Sunday service of 3x will be reinstated, running every 40 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

PTR 444

Established Member

A sad day for residents of Charminster and Strouden, for what was once Yellow’s most dominant route in the area has now been totally lost to their competitor.

Has any other long-standing bus route gone from having a turn-up-and-go frequency to being completely withdrawn in such a short space of time?

aliceh

I'm honestly wondering if the timetable on Traveline isn't quite complete, because it doesn't make sense to take the service back to a handful at very odd times of day. Sunday having one morning journey in and one evening, then two journeys out in the evening 20 minutes apart seems ludicrous. And if they were doing that, then they'd probably renumber the 3X to the 3 to keep the 'core network' as relatively frequent.

I'm prepared to be wrong, but I would imagine that there's some data missing from the current version.

Status
Not open for further replies.