• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The s stock of the underground - Deep Level Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterboo

Following the discussion from the thread "Dream Tube Stock", the general conception was towards:
- Air conditioning
- Similiar aestetics to s stock.
- Larger windows (*)
- Transverse seating

Thank you for these ideas. This also follows from my previous attempts at modelling (circa January 2014).

I have now created a prototype for a rail vechile per the suggestions.
(Please see the rendered image below). (Links)

I was just hoping for some comments and suggestions for improvements.

Please note:
- The circular device on the arm chairs are cup holders.
- This is very early development,so, the aestics are not complete.
- I will endeavour to widen the windows.

I am now on summer vacation, so can and will act to your suggestions.

Many thanks,
Waterboo

Here

Attachments

• Metro Concept.jpg
    Metro Concept.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
I'd have said that cup holders would have been a huge no-no! As it is you have people arguing about who has the arm-rest, so adding cup holders might see fisticuffs breaking out on the tube! As for S-Stock esque aesthetics, surely the answer then is just to go for a 2009 Stock, which is the deep level version of the movia family. The moquette, rather than being the SSL colours, might be better as the colours of the intended NT4L lines (so red, blue, brown, light green), and lastly, if you are going to try and make a deep level S stock, please don't copy it exactly, make the handrails low enough to not require those pesky strap hangers which all the tall folk walk into and moan about!

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I'd have said that cup holders would have been a huge no-no! As it is you have people arguing about who has the arm-rest, so adding cup holders might see fisticuffs breaking out on the tube! As for S-Stock esque aesthetics, surely the answer then is just to go for a 2009 Stock, which is the deep level version of the movia family. The moquette, rather than being the SSL colours, might be better as the colours of the intended NT4L lines (so red, blue, brown, light green), and lastly, if you are going to try and make a deep level S stock, please don't copy it exactly, make the handrails low enough to not require those pesky strap hangers which all the tall folk walk into and moan about!

Which lines if any would the 2009 stock not be able to fit down?

subway156

It is interesting that arm rests are still installed on any underground train. I use New York as my example as I am a native of that city and have ridden their units countless times. With the optimal passenger numbers made possible by transverse seating, they have never provided arm rests. In the very early days, when they had barely enough cars to keep up with demand, they found that open transverse seats did the trick, allowing for many more standees. They did have several models that had crossways seats with transverse, but those were wider cars on a different "division" of cars.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have not posted any image, just the link to the New York subway site. I am not sure if you have visited this site. It has hundreds of images and catagories that be searched for anything related to the subway system.

cjp

It is interesting that arm rests are still installed on any underground train. I use New York as my example as I am a native of that city and have ridden their units countless times. With the optimal passenger numbers made possible by transverse seating, they have never provided arm rests. In the very early days, when they had barely enough cars to keep up with demand, they found that open transverse seats did the trick, allowing for many more standees. .

Arm rests are used in the public realm both to define personal spaces and also to stop someone becoming too comfortable (by lying down).

subway156

In the case of New York's desings, they were based mostly on cost. The cost of not adding equipment to increase the number of bodies they could stuff in each car.

Status
Not open for further replies.