• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Waterloo & City Line

AlbertBeale

Established Member
If you only want to know what streets the underground goes under (rather than exactly which building) then select ‘public transport’ under ’map details’ on Google Maps and it shows you.
I find that added on the satellite map is great for a flavour of how the network relates to streets and places I know.
Why did early deep tubes follow streets, did they still have to purchase the rights from the surface owners?

In my experience, tubes shown on Google aren't at all an accurate representation of where their tunnels are.

How is it done ? Annual rent or one off payment to the building owners ?

Is payment still being made, does it matter how deep, is there a depth level beyond which payments is not demandable ?

Thanks.

The principle that land ownership includes above and below continues. Railways underneath private property need an Act of Parliament to allow them, and a payment is made to the landowner for the surrender of rights. For example, in the 1960s payment was made to land owners at Kings Cross whose property the Victoria Line (and its associated works) went directly underneath.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums