• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things Found in the Loft

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Finally got around to going up into my loft today. Been in the house a few months and had other priorities, but having borrowed a ladder headed up into the sweltering heat.

I've been rewarded for my efforts with six sturdy chairs (soon to go on eBay), a box of bowling trophies and three old analogue TV aerials. I'm going to ask the neighbours who the trophies might belong to, but doubt they'll have a clue as the house was previously a rental property and had a lot of tenants prior to us buying it.

Nothing too strange, but has anyone else found anything in their loft after moving into a house?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Waldgrun

When we moved into where we are now about six years ago, we brought the house from the estate an Old Lady who had passed on. The loft was a treat!<D It seems that she had been given a grant to insulate, and work was carried out by contractors wearing spurs! Need less to say if an item was in the loft it was covered where it lay, finding rolls of old carpet, does tend to make one think is there a body in it!
As various bits of work needed doing , removing old water tanks and the fact we wanted to board the loft for storage, we decided to remove the insulation clean out the very old insulation and relaid the new.
One of the first finds was a label from the original Insulation with a manufacturing date of 1971. Followed by a very large (disused) Wasps Nest! In removing the insulation we discovered that the electricians in the 1970's used tape joints, not junction boxes, one joint showed sign of smouldering, joints and wire very quickly made safe! (So don't expect that a surveyor will find everything).
Two tailored children's (Moth eaten) jackets from the 1940's/ 1950's, while is strange as this house was built in 1971.
Finally two bus tickets! So you might not find treasure but it's worth looking so as you can detect any problems that could cause a fire!

Attachments

• 101_1514.jpg
    101_1514.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 74
  • MWM.jpg
    MWM.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 65

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
(So don't expect that a surveyor will find everything).

Indeed.

When I bought my house back in 1993, the surveyor completely missed something.

I was at work when I had a message from the electrician who was doing the full re-wire to pop round as soon as I could; half an hour later I was looking at the hole where his hand had gone straight through the floorboards in the front room.

That floor was completely riddled with woodworm. The surveyor, in a full survey, had reported that it was "sound"...:roll:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
House in Countess Wear, Exeter - a brown vibrator and an unopened packet of 20 John Players number 6 which bought back memories as my Dad used to have them. The cigarettes that is.
Another house in Exeter - while converting the loft for a model railway I found on the back of the hatch a list of planes that had been lost in WW2 and the dates they were lost, the house was built in the 30s and I assume the first occupant had written them there, needless to say I left the hatch as it was.
This house - me and the missus. We converted it to our bedroom. We're a bit unusual.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
My brother's mate moved into a house that had a part-built model railway in the loft, the friend wasn't into trains so my brother got all the track, point motors and rolling stock. My brother was therefore a bit miffed a few months later when he bought a house with only a wasp nest hidden in the attic!

Flamingo

Established Member
I've also found a load of model railway stuff in an attic. My nephew appreciated it!

richw

Veteran Member
The only thing I found in ours when we moved in was 10 inch thick insulation. Pain for storing stuff up there though!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Mine is so crowded (and currently inaccessible) that Lord Lucan could well be up there.

Ploughman

Established Member
When I was insulating my parents house in Southport, a big old Victorian place.
I found smoked on the attic wall with candle smoke this:-
I John Mott dids't plumb this house in 1882"
Also found a copy of the Southport Visitor, local rag, from 1895

Established Member
Last time I looked in the loft I found some coins from the 1970s, seeing as I'm interested in collecting coins I thought it was a great find.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
A WWII aircraft identification book, an almost complete (but rather tatty) set of 'War' magazines (detailing progress of WWII, every fortnight), and what must have been Birmingham's first vacuum cleaner.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
My cousin lived close to Osterley Park and the house received some fairly minor blast damage in the last war - when re roofing was done in the late 1980's , the workmen found some Swastikas carved into some of the 1940's replacement tiles.

POW's had been used for patch repair work according to the oldest resident in the street.

PeterY

Established Member
Mine is so crowded (and currently inaccessible) that Lord Lucan could well be up there.

I know that feeling.

I've recently moved back into my dads house and one project is to clear the loft. I've found so much junk, including glass, a deckchair, sewing machine, 4 suitcases, Christmas cards (enough that I won't need to buy any for years:D) the list was endless. Most went to the charity shop but some items went to the dump.

I can now move up there. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.