• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things that used to be common place in people’s homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
No need to worry about the quality of your education, ablative does not exist in English.
It is one of the six forms of Latin declension, so the word certainly exists in the English language. I claim no further knowledge on the subject, having always been of the belief that a little learning is a dangerous thing, hardly the motto of any social media site, even this one. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ta-toget

No need to worry about the quality of your education, ablative does not exist in English.
It is one of the six forms of Latin declension, so the word certainly exists in the English language. I claim no further knowledge on the subject, having always been of the belief that a little learning is a dangerous thing, hardly the motto of any social media site, even this one. :)
While the word ablative exists in English, the ablative case does not. Indeed, there is very little evidence of case (save, perhaps, the genitive 's, and in pronouns (I vs me, we vs us)), though the presence of the more abstract Case can be, and is, argued.

David Dunning

Hoovers with a bag on the side. In fact Hoover as a vacuum brand seems a very rare find in a British house now. But strangely even younger people still get out the Shark or Dyson to ‘hoover’ the carpet.

Attachments

• D2C192ED-A4F0-47F4-93F6-0C8FB87731F2.jpeg
    D2C192ED-A4F0-47F4-93F6-0C8FB87731F2.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15

DelW

Established Member
Hoovers with a bag on the side. In fact Hoover as a vacuum brand seems a very rare find in a British house now. But strangely even younger people still get out the Shark or Dyson to ‘hoover’ the carpet.
In the same way that people of a certain age still talk about writing with a "biro", even though that make disappeared from shops a good many years ago.

david1212

Established Member

Maybe because the one I have is a poor design. Far too much weight beyond the rear wheels so it only needs a nudge to tip over. It was from an eBay seller who handles Argos etc returns and was under £50. No way would I have kept it at close to £200 list price or even a high street / mail order price of around £150 ....

proxy-image

Bevan Price

Established Member
Don't have time to check all the previous 1086 posts, but I don't recall seeing "things that are powered by clockwork / springs", that need to be wound up, e.g. clocks, watches, etc. Apart from "antiques", all such devices now seem to be powered by batteries.

Trackman

Established Member
Built to last as well.
Had one years ago, only needed to replace the belt now and again.

DelW

Established Member
Don't have time to check all the previous 1086 posts, but I don't recall seeing "things that are powered by clockwork / springs", that need to be wound up, e.g. clocks, watches, etc. Apart from "antiques", all such devices now seem to be powered by batteries.
The more exclusive end of the watch market (four, five, or even six figure prices) is almost all clockwork. There are well regarded clockwork watches at sensible prices though, notably from Seiko at prices around £100 - £300.

dgl

Established Member
Round light switches, also called "dolly" switches, both plastic and metal versions being available with the metal ones usually being larger. Just removed a couple from my Grans old place, her ones being made by Contactum.

prod_pep

Established Member
We have a Hoover Dustette at home, dating back to the late 60s to early 70s, which still works a treat on the stairs. My grandad passed it on last time our regular hoover gave up the ghost. I doubt there are many of these still around.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
We have a Hoover Dustette at home, dating back to the late 60s to early 70s, which still works a treat on the stairs. My grandad passed it on last time our regular hoover gave up the ghost. I doubt there are many of these still around.
My grandmother was still using one of those in 1995 ish, my dad reckoned it dated from just before WW2. I think it was a fairly rugged construction, with a lot of steel and chrome?

xotGD

Established Member
Living in a bungalow is a good way to avoid the faff of vacuuming the stairs!

On the subject of stairs, does anyone still have stair rods to keep their stair carpet in place? You can certainly buy them, but does anyone use them?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

On the subject of stairs, does anyone still have stair rods to keep their stair carpet in place? You can certainly buy them, but does anyone use them?
I've seen them in use, and fairly recently I'm sure, but I don't think it was in a domestic setting. I can't remember exactly where, but maybe a pub or hotel somewhere - Wetherspoons, maybe?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I occasionally paint the odd place that still has them.

MotCO

Established Member
We have stair rods, but they are more decorative rather than functional - and we put them in because it suites the house and decor

AY1975

Established Member
Round light switches, also called "dolly" switches, both plastic and metal versions being available with the metal ones usually being larger. Just removed a couple from my Grans old place, her ones being made by Contactum.
All my light switches are of that type. On one of them the metal cover is loose and keeps coming off. The switch still works without it, though.

dgl

Established Member
All my light switches are of that type. On one of them the metal cover is loose and keeps coming off. The switch still works without it, though.
Easy enough to replace though, just done all the light switches, sockets, cooker switch and fused outlets at my grans old place. Though you will need backboxes, though they can be of the surface mounted type, and if there is no earth going to the switches then plastic back boxes should be used.
Personally if they all are dolly switches then I would want to make sure that thee is no old VIR/rubber cable as part if the installation as it breaks down over time, PVC cable doesn't usually fail so easily. I know all the cable I saw at my grans connecting the sockets/switches was PVC and it appeared in Good condition and a lot of that would be from the 1960's as that was when the house was built.

AY1975

Established Member
Another thing that I don't think has been mentioned is manually operated coffee grinders. You put the coffee beans in through the outlet at the top, turned the handle clockwise and the beans turned into coffee granules which you then took out of the drawer at the bottom.

My parents had one when I was a kid in the 1980s, and I used to love grinding their coffee for them on it. I used to pretend that I was driving a train or tram! I also used to think that if you turned the handle anticlockwise the coffee granules in the drawer would turn back into coffee beans.

AY1975

Established Member
We had a discussion about chamber pots on another thread.
Some people use them as plant pots these days.

Another thing that I don't think has been mentioned is old-style dustbins (both the traditional galvanised steel ones and the more modern plastic ones) that were used in the days before wheelie bins. I don't know if there are many councils left now that still don't use wheelie bins: the London Borough of Wandsworth, where I grew up and where my parents still live, still doesn't, and I think most homes there still have an old-style dustbin.

D6130

Established Member
I don't know if there are many councils left now that still don't use wheelie bins:
Calderdale Council here in West Yorkshire don't use wheelie-bins. However, they no longer supply new plastic dustbins and lids, so many households - mine included - have to leave their refuse on the pavement/roadside tied-up in blue plastic sacks provided by the council's contractors and hope that dogs/cats/rats/foxes/deer, etc. don't tear them apart before the bin men arrive.

AY1975

Established Member
Calderdale Council here in West Yorkshire don't use wheelie-bins. However, they no longer supply new plastic dustbins and lids, so many households - mine included - have to leave their refuse on the pavement/roadside tied-up in blue plastic sacks provided by the council's contractors and hope that dogs/cats/rats/foxes/deer, etc. don't tear them apart before the bin men arrive.
Or else buy a plastic dustbin from a hardware shop or on eBay.

Jimini

Established Member
Some people use them as plant pots these days.

Another thing that I don't think has been mentioned is old-style dustbins (both the traditional galvanised steel ones and the more modern plastic ones) that were used in the days before wheelie bins. I don't know if there are many councils left now that still don't use wheelie bins: the London Borough of Wandsworth, where I grew up and where my parents still live, still doesn't, and I think most homes there still have an old-style dustbin.

Yep, Wandsworth is still old skool (sic) in that respect, and they're cheap as chips as well :smile:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Cornwall Council, a Unitary Authority, don't presently use wheelie bins. When District Councils were replaced by Cornwall Council the fact that the majority had supplied wheelie bins was ignored and we went back to black sack collection, in a county surrounded by sea and, therefore, seagulls. Most people who had the wheelie bins before continue to use them, with the sacks inside, but in some of the more rural areas had to stop as the contractor to the council had managed to find a job lot of small dustcarts without bin-lifting capacity! Del Trotter lives. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.