• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things that used to be common place in people’s homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebor79

Established Member
I will admit I dug mine out when I found out how much my gas bill was going to be, found it had perished since it's about 10 years old, and bought a new one. The only question is whether I'll be able to afford to boil the kettle to fill it up!
I'm pretty sure that you aren't meant to put boiling water into hot water bottles -they should be filled from the hot tap (and a mixture of hot and cold if your hot tap is very hot). any people scalded over the years if/when they leak, split, manage to tip it over themselves trying to screw the bung back in etc.
It absolutely is, yes, assuming both run on electricity. The heating element in a kettle is in direct contact with the water so more or less all the heat goes into the water, whereas with a stove there are losses up the side of the pan and downwards. It is also much quicker, which is the main reason I've always done it!
No difference in energy consumption with an induction hob. In fact as the hob is quicker the overall consumption is probably less (as there's less time for heat to dissipate into the room). Yes you could argue that a relatively thick pan is getting heated instead of a thin walled kettle, but if you empty the kettle into the pan you're going to have to heat that metal anyway.
I just fill my pans with cold water and blast them on the boost setting of the induction hob. If I'm feeling parsimonious I'll fill them well ahead of time so that the cold water can absorb some ambient heat from the kitchen

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No difference in energy consumption with an induction hob. In fact as the hob is quicker the overall consumption is probably less (as there's less time for heat to dissipate into the room). Yes you could argue that a relatively thick pan is getting heated instead of a thin walled kettle, but if you empty the kettle into the pan you're going to have to heat that metal anyway.

As mentioned above you'd be right for an induction hob (because that heats the pan in the same way as a kettle), but most people don't have induction hobs.

The balance could be tipped, though, if kettles were insulated (e.g. double walled like a metal vacuum flask), then there'd be pretty much no heat loss. Oddly there aren't many about, but here's one: https://vektra.uk/. Tea-drinkers wouldn't really like it as they prefer freshly boiled water each time, but it'd work fairly well for instant coffee drinkers.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I personally hate nets but they're still very common, most houses on my street have them. It's mostly about privacy rather than keeping heat in, as they are "one way" - you can see out without people seeing in as long as the lights inside are off.

Howardh

Established Member
I have net curtains throughout the house.

Also proper curtains with them - and the bedroom ones have blackout linings as well.
If curtains hang down to cover the radiators then they are preventing the heat reaching the room. Mine were like that in most rooms, however I had blinds installed so I could keep the curtains away from the radiators, and close them only if I need blackout (ie on a Sunday afternoon for the Grand Prix) or the radiator isn't on.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If curtains hang down to cover the radiators then they are preventing the heat reaching the room. Mine were like that in most rooms, however I had blinds installed so I could keep the curtains away from the radiators, and close them only if I need blackout (ie on a Sunday afternoon for the Grand Prix) or the radiator isn't on.

Yep, worth remembering that despite being called radiators they mostly heat through convection (by circulating air, with cold at the bottom being heated and so coming out of the top), so if the curtains sit over the top the heat goes up and out of the window instead.

Howardh

Established Member
Yep, worth remembering that despite being called radiators they mostly heat through convection (by circulating air, with cold at the bottom being heated and so coming out of the top), so if the curtains sit over the top the heat goes up and out of the window instead.
Even curtains that just reach the windowsill can be problematic, they could still overhang the radiator and the rising heat ends up behind them. I have one room like that, solved by pushing the curtain back and although it looks ugly...the heat stays in the room!

PeterY

Established Member
I personally hate nets but they're still very common, most houses on my street have them. It's mostly about privacy rather than keeping heat in, as they are "one way" - you can see out without people seeing in as long as the lights inside are off.
I also hate net curtains and don't have them. Luckily I live in a second floor flat, so no one can see in.

Trackman

Established Member
I also hate net curtains and don't have them. Luckily I live in a second floor flat, so no one can see in.
I've just a quick check of the street whilst going to the shop as I was curious (sad I know!)
Out of about 40 houses:
1- Net curtains
5- Curtains
.. The rest Blinds

It's mostly about privacy rather than keeping heat in, as they are "one way" - you can see out without people seeing in as long as the lights inside are off.
You can rig blinds to do the same thing.

It's made me think of a recent story about the Hither Green station re-development with new step free access (new lifts, not the current ramps of death) and new entrances as planning permission has been approved.
One objection was from a woman complaining that trains passing by would be able to see into her house as Network Rail will have to cut some trees down.
I don't think so, even in the dark.
Why not invest in some blinds or net curtains? Not that they would be able to see in anyway judging by the plans.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's made me think of a recent story about the Hither Green station re-development with new step free access (new lifts, not the current ramps of death) and new entrances as planning permission has been approved.
One objection was from a woman complaining that trains passing by would be able to see into her house as Network Rail will have to cut some trees down.
Why not invest in some blinds or net curtains? Not that they would be able to see in anyway judging by the plans.

For most of these cases the answer is for the homeowner to plant some quick growing leylandii on their land. Network Rail can do nothing about that.

dgl

Established Member
Secondary glazing.

Typically only used today in listed buildings or properties in conservation areas with strict planning rules but in the 70s and early 80s it was a common alternative to double glazing, not as efficient but much cheaper.
My Auntie and Uncle had it fitted to their Grade II listed propertly about 7 or so years ago, went for full double glazed panels. Not cheap to do as some of the panels that didn't open were quite large.

najaB

Veteran Member
Tea-drinkers wouldn't really like it as they prefer freshly boiled water each time, but it'd work fairly well for instant coffee drinkers.
It's not just a matter of preference - it's been scientifically proven* - that freshly-boiled water is best for making tea.
One wonders what she's up to that she thinks someone would be interested enough to try and look from a passing train.

PeterY

Established Member
It's not just a matter of preference - it's been scientifically proven* - that freshly-boiled water is best for making tea.

One wonders what she's up to that she thinks someone would be interested enough to try and look from a passing train.
Freshly boiled water for tea every time. :D

Most people in passing trains have their head down in their mobiles, so no chance of anyone looking in. :'(

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Actually it's not. What's important is whether the radiator has a bypass or not. In a modern installation all of them will, if it's an old installation it may not, in which case you'll notice the system not working and can turn it back on and reset the boiler by pressing the reset button. Though I'd consider it worth getting a plumber to install a bypass on it if there isn't one; having the "primary" radiator and thermostat in a place you don't spend any time is just incredibly poor system design and worth paying to fix. You only need a very low level of heat in a hallway to take the chill off. It should be in the room where you spend most time, which for most households is the lounge.

There is no need to remove the thermostat from the lounge radiator, just turn it all the way up which will leave it on all the time.
Pleas tell my other half that the lounge would e a lot warmer if she let me close the dor to the hall !.
It would be better if they used a more modern OS, I don't believe Microsoft support Windows XP any more, which means no security patches.
All those patients personal details - ouch. Name, Address and Date of Birth to start with - worth a lot to a hacker.
I think the NHS have completely moved away from Windows XP now, GP surgeries aren't part of the NHS however, they're private business.
I would be very worried about your personal details being on such an easy to hack operating system.

Trackman

Established Member
Staying on the tea theme- does anyone know who still uses tea leaves at home?
Some supermarkets still sell loose tea.

najaB

Veteran Member
I don't, generally, but my mum does quite often. She even has a small 'steel teabag' (for want of a better word) to make a single cup.

Paul Jones 88

How about those horrid gadgets that were for chopping up onions, you'd place the onion on a chopping block then placed the gadget above the onion and grip the handle and push it up and down, when finished you had a perfect smashed to smithereens onion that was unusable. Haven't seen one for donkeys years.

trebor79

Established Member
Some supermarkets still sell loose tea.
I do sometimes. My parents always have and always will. It is a much better cup of tea to be fair.
I've noticed it's increasingly common for cafes to use drawstring pouches with real tea leaves in rather than commercial tea bags too. I wonder if tea may have a bit of a renaissance.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
How about those horrid gadgets that were for chopping up onions, you'd place the onion on a chopping block then placed the gadget above the onion and grip the handle and push it up and down, when finished you had a perfect smashed to smithereens onion that was unusable. Haven't seen one for donkeys years.

There were similar ones for eggs, if I recall. I do think the 1960-1990s tendency for kitchen gadgets has reduced. A few new ones have come along (e.g. air fryers and fancy coffee machines) but the "Tupperware" type stuff has very much reduced. It's probably because quality ready meals and Deliveroo have replaced time-saving (or not time-saving) devices for lazy people, leaving those who cook stuff from fresh being those who enjoy the process and thus just want a decent set of knives etc and no gimmickry.

D6968

We’ve got one and it’s still in use as I’m not a big fan of big slivers of onion in my food.
It’s rather useful for things like my homemade burgers, when you need a fine diced onion.

Status
Not open for further replies.