• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things to do on the Far North Line

Fermiboson

I'll be making a trip to northern Scotland around mid July. Among other things, I'm currently looking at possible destinations on the Far North Line - e.g. walking trails, castles and whatnot.

Any recommendations for something doable in 3-4 hours?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All platforms

Let me see...

Thurso and Wick are both accessible for supplies and general shops. Not sure about things to go visit though.
Forsinard - RSPB Visitor Centre (Old station building)
Helmsdale - Civilisation and nicer then Wick/Thurso
Brora - a few shops but also a 25 min walk to Clynelish Distillery - decent visitor centre there if Whisky is your thing.
Dunrobin Castle - The castle was a must do for me
Invershin/Culrain - There is a good walk between the 2 stations - not much else there.
Can't speak for Golspie, Lairg and Ardgay as i have yet to visit
Tain - a decent pub/eatery accessible from the platform
Rogart has a private siding (not connected to the network anymore) with much railway paraphenalia in evidence
I can't speak for walking paths but the far far north is so quiet you can wander away from the station on the roads without any problems - so Scotscalder, Kinbrace and the like.

I am returning to Inverness next week to complete this line and also the line down to Kyle of Lochalsh so i am also looking for things to do myself.....

Good luck in July.

Howardh

Established Member
Mid July is still in the time of year when there is no "astronomical night" so even at 1am you may be able to see without artificial light. Worth going for that alone, but I suppose the thickness of cloud will determine how dark it gets.
If you are up that late/early please let me know!
Last time I was so far north in early July I think the sun was still out at 10.30pm and at midnight a newspaper was easy to read unaided, but I was only a teen and memory alters things?
Maybe the forum has members up there, it's on my bucket list to go to the far north of Unst one late June week, just to experience midnight light.

ChristopherJ

Make sure to visit the lovely pair of Born Again Christians called Ian and Liz that reside in the station cottage at Altnabreac. :E:lol:

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
For those nostalgic for 1970s food, Dingwall has one of the few surviving Wimpy Bars :D

And also a decent pub, a good curry restaurant and a much better football team than Inverness...<D

Statto

Established Member
The Whaligoe Steps, a man made stairway that has 365 steps into what was a naturally formed harbour, located about 7 miles South of Wick

Howardh

Established Member
For those nostalgic for 1970s food, Dingwall has one of the few surviving Wimpy Bars :D

And also a decent pub, a good curry restaurant and a much better football team than Inverness...<D
Ross County?!
It's quite something that such a relatively remote area can boast two clubs!
I remember being in a caravan watching the 1974 World Cup Final on a b/w portable, in a layby near Evanton, one of the few parts we could get a signal!

It's probably useless info for this post but my other half is originally from Wick so we go up there fairly often.
It's quicker to drive so I've never taken the train but it has meant I've had the chance to take my car over to Orkney.
I love it over there and would recommend a trip to anyone

MisterSheeps

I was doing the Highland 4 days in 8 rover, train to Wick, stayed overnight, bus to John O'Groats, great coast walk to Duncansby Head, a detour south to see the stunning sea cliffs, back along the road to John O'Groats, bus to Thurso. It could be done in 4 hours at a pinch. Very good coastal scenery. Even if you don't go to Duncansby Head the Pentland Firth, and local beaches, are lovely

Attachments

• DSCF6332.JPG
    DSCF6332.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • DSCF6327.JPG
    DSCF6327.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

lachlan

At Golspie you can do a walk up to the Duke of Sutherland monument. The views are great.I managed to do that walk and a cafe with time to spare between trains.

paul1609

Established Member
The Whaligoe Steps, a man made stairway that has 365 steps into what was a naturally formed harbour, located about 7 miles South of Wick
The whole coastline south from Wick is very attractive with some good walks. Ive done the John o Groats trail from Inverness to JoG. If it was in a more populous area it would be raved about. Id say its on a par with the Pembroke Coast.