• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

This is the cheapest adult ticket on the network?

VideozVideoz

Stockport to Manchester advance using TfW for £0.70

Attachments

• 81F706DD-FBCE-470E-9B0D-61737884AADC.png
    81F706DD-FBCE-470E-9B0D-61737884AADC.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 213
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
Though given how often they turn short at Crewe or Wilmslow a risky choice ... :D

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Northern will probably be along soon with a 20p advance between Warrington West and Warrington Central…

for the benefit of anyone who doesn’t understand sarcasm, this is sarcasm.

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Though given how often they turn short at Crewe or Wilmslow a risky choice ... :D

If they did Northern's Delay Repay compensation option of a complimentary journey single on their services - it'd be like buying lottery tickets with a grand prize of a free Manchester to Llandudno/Cardiff journey. :lol:

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Northern will probably be along soon with a 20p advance between Warrington West and Warrington Central…
Why would they do that? There's no competition (except 4 TPE per day) on that route and the anytime ticket is currently £3.70.
There's much shorter journeys that could be offered if they wanted to win a "cheapest ticket" award.
Their 5p sales would earn them that spot but
1. They're not offered at the moment.
2. I don't think sale tickets should be counted for this.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Why would they do that? There's no competition (except 4 TPE per day) on that route and the anytime ticket is currently £3.70.
There's much shorter journeys that could be offered if they wanted to win a "cheapest ticket" award.
Their 5p sales would earn them that spot but
1. They're not offered at the moment.
2. I don't think sale tickets should be counted for this.
It seems you missed the sarcasm. Northern offer Advances from Manchester to Mauldeth Road, Lime Street to South Parkway, Gatley to Manchester Airport, and so on… you don’t need to read it as a serious post ;)

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
It seems you missed the sarcasm. Northern offer Advances from Manchester to Mauldeth Road, Lime Street to South Parkway, Gatley to Manchester Airport, and so on… you don’t need to read it as a serious post ;)
They offer advanced tickets on the Atherton line too, despite no competition (except from busses).
I've been fearful of advanced tickets in the past but might give them a try as my 16-17 saver has expired so costs are much higher now.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Didn't we have a similar thread to this only a few weeks ago? :s

pokemonsuper9

Established Member

So there was, and looking at the messages marked as "new", I read most of it (or accidentally marked all as read), then in the weeks since entirely forgot!
Although it doesn't seem to have considered advanced tickets in that thread.

VideozVideoz

That was restricted to anytime / off-peak standard tickets it seems

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
So back to the topic, is £0.70 the clear winner?? Any advances (no pun intended!) on that? :D
Noone's found anything cheaper, and I'm not surprised, 70p is incredibly cheap, the Stockport - Picc journey is pretty much unique due to being decently short (5m 69ch) and having 6 TOCs (Northern, EMR, TPE, Avanti, XC and TfW) and the busses all competing.

kieron

Established Member
So back to the topic, is £0.70 the clear winner?? Any advances (no pun intended!) on that? :D
TfW have a few cheaper advance fares in the system, but I don't know if they ever offer them for sale. There's a 60p Conwy-Llandudno Junction fare, for instance, but the cheapest I've seen on sale is twice the price. They've set some even cheaper fares (such as 50p Caergwrle-Hope), but you can't buy one as none of the trains can be reserved.

MrJeeves

Established Member
Looks like, by my database, TfW advances are the cheapest option on the railway, as @kieron says.

50p Wrexham General to Central, for example:

If we start ignoring Advances, we can get a bus ticket from Ashchurch to Tewkesbury for 60p:

or a day return on Ispwich buses for 60p:

If we actually limit it to rail tickets, though, the cheapest we can get are TfW advances up to 60p:
1703424040521.png

But there are some SDS's on offer at 70p... for whatever "PRESTWICK ATRAIN" is:

If I just limit it to SDR/CDR/SDS/CDS and ignore PRESTWICK ATRAIN, the cheapest standard singles are:

origindestinationticket_coderoute_codeis_reversiblefare
34983537CDS010001100
34983539CDS010001100
35383542CDS010001100
35393542CDS010001100
80488056SDS000710100
80568048SDS000710100
The four CDS's are for the St Ives Bay branch line in Cornwall, between various stations on the line. The last ones are Hull Trains only singles between Beverley and Cottingham: https://www.brfares.com/!faredetail?orig=BEV&dest=CGM&rte=71&tkt=SDS

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
for whatever "PRESTWICK ATRAIN" is:
The Prestwick ATrain fares are only valid for airline passengers unfortunately, and an appropriate dated ticket or boarding pass needs to be presented to get those fares. This isn't stated in Avantix Traveller, but an obscure hint is that the NLC for "Prestwick ATrain" is H234, as opposed to 9544 for "Prestwick Intl".
Looks like it's an airport related thing

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Noone's found anything cheaper, and I'm not surprised, 70p is incredibly cheap, the Stockport - Picc journey is pretty much unique due to being decently short (5m 69ch) and having 6 TOCs (Northern, EMR, TPE, Avanti, XC and TfW) and the busses all competing.

6 'competing' TOCs, none of which carry the revenue risk these days!

kkong

Looks like it's an airport related thing

Yes, it's a long-standing promotion that gives a 50% discount from the usual Anytime / Off-Peak fares from (mainly) Scottish stations to Prestwick International Airport, if the traveller has a flight ticket.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/plan-your-journey/travel-connections/airports

Prestwick International Airport
Half price train travel for flight ticket holders
There’s a regular train service to Prestwick International and you can get 50% off the train fare.
Just show your flight ticket, original invoice, or downloaded booking confirmation (not the email confirmation) when buying your discounted rail ticket.
This discounted rail ticket should be purchased at a ticket office before travelling. If your departure station does not have a ticket office, you may purchase your discounted rail ticket on-train.

TUC

Established Member

Haywain

Veteran Member
It would be interesting to see if someone presented such evidence of a flight to a ticket office somewhere in the middle of England how many would give the discoun.
The "discount" is only available from stations where a specific fare is set, and these do not appear to be very far south of the Newcastle to Carlisle line, hence the reference above to "mainly Scottish station".