• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thornaby to Ravenglass

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBY-Paul

The wife and I are looking to have a day out. The destination is not that important, it's more about the journey/scenery.
I've looked into travelling to Ravenglass via Carlisle, and one of the routes back is via Carnforth and Leeds, instead of coming back via Carlisle, but the "Select" button is not selectable on the NRE website. Would this be a valid route back?
Just for information the journeys are:-
Outward
TBY 07.54- NCL 09.03
NCL 09.24- CAR 10.46
CAR 10.54- RAV 12.33
Return (If Valid)
RAV 14.31-CNF 16.16
CNF 16.32- LDS 18.15
LDS 18.49- TBY 20.03

2 Adults + 1 DSB railcard
Anytime return £66.30

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
That ticket doesn't seem to be valid via Leeds & Carnforth. That may be because you would have to travel via York and, although York to Ravenglass is valid via Leeds & Carnforth, the corresponding tickets would cost £103.

Edit: the only possibly relevant station I can find with tickets valid via both routes is Thirsk, where the price for two discounted offpeak returns would be £78.90. Those tickets are valid via Thornaby, Newcastle & Carlisle, as well as via Carnforth, Leeds & York, but although there are no time restrictions you cannot break your outward journey, so you would need to travel out via Thirsk, York, Leeds & Carnforth, buying Thornaby-Thirsk singles for the first bit of your journey, and then return via Carlisle, Newcastle & Hartlepool, ending your return journey to Thirsk at Thornaby.

Second edit: a more straightforward alternative, allowing travel via both routes, would be Thornaby to Kirkby-in-Furness anytime returns for a total of £71.30 with no time restrictions and no restrictions on break of journey. However, if the plan is to visit Ravenglass, you would then have to go out via one route and return via the other, or travel both ways via Carlisle, or travel both ways via Carnforth and buy Kirkby to Ravenglass returns.

Last edited:

TBY-Paul

Second edit: a more straightforward alternative, allowing travel via both routes, would be Thornaby to Kirkby-in-Furness anytime returns for a total of £71.30 with no time restrictions and no restrictions on break of journey. However, if the plan is to visit Ravenglass, you would then have to go out via one route and return via the other, or travel both ways via Carlisle, or travel both ways via Carnforth and buy Kirkby to Ravenglass returns.

Thanks Romilly, That would appear to be the solution. We could follow the previous posted itinerary, using a BOJ at Ravenglass on the outward ticket (if I've understood right).

I was using Ravenglass as a stopping off point to break the day up. We can have a little look round, and have a bite to eat without doing anything too strenuous or stressful.

Altnabreac

Established Member
Thanks Romilly, That would appear to be the solution. We could follow the previous posted itinerary, using a BOJ at Ravenglass on the outward ticket (if I've understood right).

I was using Ravenglass as a stopping off point to break the day up. We can have a little look round, and have a bite to eat without doing anything too strenuous or stressful.

The cafe at the R&ER station has particularly good ice cream.

Can also eat down in the village but I'd recommend at least coming back for ice creams here.

Status
Not open for further replies.