• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Threat to Budapest-Belgrade Route Upgrade Project

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I haven't seen it in a recognised railway journal, but the "Daily Wrap" is reporting that this upgrade project is in trouble on the Hungarian section.
This seems to be because the Chinese contractors will not commit to EU construction norms.
The upgrade in Serbia, largely delivered by a mix of Russian and Chinese contractors, and partially completed, does not seem to be affected.
Through trains were being diverted between Budapest and Subotica via Szeged to allow the upgrade in Hungary to take place.
Sounds like yet another bone of contention between Viktor Orban and Brussels.
The technical debate might be about whether ETCS is part of the railway spec or not.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...S&cvid=0459f5e3192445b48a86ec85a616127c&ei=72
The European Union has stopped an ambitious infrastructure plan championed by the Serbian President and the Hungarian Prime Minister. According to Polish RMF FM, referencing reports from Hungarian media, the project in question is the construction of a high-speed railway connecting Belgrade and Budapest.
This initiative had promised to drastically reduce the travel time between the capitals of Serbia and Hungary to just 2.5 hours, as reported by N1 television. However, these ambitious plans now seem to be on pause. While construction has commenced on the Serbian portion, progress has stalled in Hungary.
Hungarian media reveals that the stumbling block lies with the Chinese contractors' failure to meet European construction norms. Reports emerging last autumn highlighted concerns over the contractors’ inability to install a safety and control system for the railway in line with European standards.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nwales58

Can't find the prebvious thread on this.

The problem is that the project was driven by politicians and their friends' construction firms, rather than railway people and conventional evaluation+contract awards, in a way that is far from normal in Europe.

From memory, part of the problem was that the chinese-enhanced ETCS-alike was to be installed (as in their other turnkey projects in Asia and Africa) which was not validated against ETCS. Decision makers could not grasp the interoperability problems.

Then the embarassment of the Biatobargy-Tatabanya deterioration rebuilding kicked in. Minister required the construction pals to go and mend it ASAP so work on the line to Subotica stopped. Also the infrastructure budget was not increased for the emergency work, the minister thinking it should come out of existing budgets.

Orban on a visit to Beijing was going to sort the whole problem out, naturally. But it seems the chinese have lost interest.

From a few pictures it looked as if the upgrade was surprisingly low-grade. 160km/h maybe with semi- or uncontrolled level crossings. Sensible freight capacity upgrade of course but not exactly HS passenger. I haven't seen the Belgrade-Novi Sad 200km/h project, it might be the same.

Someone else may have more facts, I regret I don't read Hungarian despite having worked there a while ago.

This is what happens when politicians direct everything and kickbacks dictate where contracts go. Surprising it's this bad in western Europe (far worse than spain or italy) but would not have suprised me in much of Africa or the middle east.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Hungary is a rogue state within Europe. It's been a sewer for years.

I can confirm. I know a case first hand where railway employees in a rural part of Hungary were all but ordered to hand over part of their salaries to a local political slush fund. There are very few good jobs in the area, so if you want to keep your job, you need to make sure that you contribute.

From a few pictures it looked as if the upgrade was surprisingly low-grade.

It wouldn't surprise me. This is Orban's Hungary through and through: grand projects built in a terrible way that end up either unfinished or that they fall to bits quickly. The disaster that is the Biodome in Budapest Zoo is another example, but the country is littered with similar examples.

nwales58

I know a case first hand where railway employees in a rural part of Hungary were all but ordered to hand over part of their salaries to a local political slush fund.
Ouch. That is how the Casablanca mosque was funded in part, state employees were told to donate a month's salary. Should be inconceivable in Europe.

Ordinary people then start wanting bribes to do their job on e higher ups do that kind of thing.

Might that explain some bad stories of MAV revenue enforcement.

Last edited:

Gag Halfrunt

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
It was a massive mistake to ever allow them into the EU.
Easily said in hindsight. But when the Soviet Bloc disintegrated Hungary was arguably the first of the affected nations to begin adopting more liberal and market based economic policies. As such it was an ideal candidate for early EU entry. Clearly a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.

johnnydoe

Easily said in hindsight. But when the Soviet Bloc disintegrated Hungary was arguably the first of the affected nations to begin adopting more liberal and market based economic policies. As such it was an ideal candidate for early EU entry. Clearly a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.
Fully accept that this is in hindsight.