• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Three potential new stations in Liverpool City Region

Djgr

Established Member
One thing Rotherham should concentrate on is an improvement of transport to the airport. A station would be perfect, but as we aren't in the SE, some sort of dedicated tram / trackless tram from South Parkway. He has hinted on Twitter " watch this space " also an improvement for access to Anfield.
I mean the three stations selected are a bit random.

The one I know most about is Woodchurch and have always thought that this is not an easy build, given the height of the railway line above the road.

In addition, with an every 45 minutes service and a change at Bidston for Liverpool, it is difficult to see where its passenger base will be.

As has been said above, people will not head out of suburban Birkenhead (e.g. Prenton, Oxton) away from Liverpool to use it to travel to Liverpool.

Whilst there is some potential as a West Wirral park and ride, those in central West Wirral (e.g. Greasby, Irby) will likely continue to use Birkenhead North (and to lesser extent Bidston) Park and Ride with a much more frequent service. Those in south West Wirral (e.g. Heswall) will probably continue to use Spital (ditto much better service).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

childwallblues

Established Member
It's a shame there isn't the subsidy money to extend the saveaway from Liverpool South Parkway to Runcorn or Hough Green to Widnes, as a minimum. Apparently Rotheram doesn't want to pay for that but is happy to take credit for the building of a new station in Halton.
I don't think Halton Council are partners in Merseytravel.

Djgr

Established Member
I don't think Halton Council are partners in Merseytravel.
None of the local councils are partners in Merseytravel as such. They are partners in Liverpool City Region to whom Merseytravel reports and Liverpool City Region includes Halton Council.

What is different about Halton is that they were not part of the short lived and unloved administrative county of Merseyside but they have chosen to join Liverpool City Region fairly recently.

Have a look at the Merseytravel website.

Last edited:

evergreenadam

Would be interesting to see the cost benefit analysis for Daresbury.

I can’t help thinking the money would have been better spent elsewhere within LCR, seems too much like political expediency over value for money.

Daresbury will be due to it's science & research campus (UKRI) which employs 650 staff.

That said, I can't see many of them using the train and the money deserves to go to a residential area.

On the Halton Curve - Beechwood, as mentioned above would be a good idea. There's already a works access point (Beechwood Rd, behind the Martindale bus stop) which would be an easy place for a single platform.
Depends where exactly the station entrance and access road would be located, but it doesn’t look there would be a particularly attractive walking route to the campus.

Last edited:

Ianigsy

I think there’s a certain amount of pork barrel going on here- the most recent new stations have been in the Liverpool/Knowsley/Sefton area, so it’s time to spend money in Wirral, St Helens and Halton. The Metro Mayor has to be seen to be spreading the money around as there’s still a lot of suspicion that the City Region will be run for the benefit of Liverpool alone (some of which might be justified if you happen to walk through the centre of Birkenhead or St Helens at the moment).

AGH

As a resident of LCR I'm generally in favour of the approach to public transport but be under no illusion any benefit to be derived from this will be for the benefit of the L of LCR.

Read the comments on the St Helens star website to this story and the issue Carr Mill is it will take people away from St Helens centre i.e. create better connectivity to Liverpool.

Daresbury will serve the whole of the valley including Sandymoor, Moore and Windmill Hill. Lots of houses gone / going up and poor public transport to anywhere. Merseyrail have mentioned getting 777s to Bank Quay as an extension from Ellesmere Port via Helsby. Whack on a pantograph and you have a loop service into Lime Street and thus feed more people into Liverpool who may have gone to Warrington or Manchester. Help with battery recharge as well no doubt. Runcorn East despite it connections to the busway never really took off so something edging towards Moore may well be attractive. Driving to Warrington down Chester road is something to be avoided.

Woodchurch is purely throwing a bone to the Wirral. Unless battery 777s get used on that line a bus will remain the quickest way to Liverpool but again the aim is for that in the long term.

Add in Baltic whatever the are calling it and I'll give him some credit for at least trying to improve the network.

Djgr

Established Member
I think there’s a certain amount of pork barrel going on here- the most recent new stations have been in the Liverpool/Knowsley/Sefton area, so it’s time to spend money in Wirral, St Helens and Halton. The Metro Mayor has to be seen to be spreading the money around as there’s still a lot of suspicion that the City Region will be run for the benefit of Liverpool alone (some of which might be justified if you happen to walk through the centre of Birkenhead or St Helens at the moment).
To be fair, a key concept of LCR is that it is a region that revolves around a city and whose economic and social wellbeing is predicated on the vibrancy of that city.

Starmill

Veteran Member
As a resident of LCR I'm generally in favour of the approach to public transport but be under no illusion any benefit to be derived from this will be for the benefit of the L of LCR.

Read the comments on the St Helens star website to this story and the issue Carr Mill is it will take people away from St Helens centre i.e. create better connectivity to Liverpool.

Daresbury will serve the whole of the valley including Sandymoor, Moore and Windmill Hill. Lots of houses gone / going up and poor public transport to anywhere. Merseyrail have mentioned getting 777s to Bank Quay as an extension from Ellesmere Port via Helsby. Whack on a pantograph and you have a loop service into Lime Street and thus feed more people into Liverpool who may have gone to Warrington or Manchester. Help with battery recharge as well no doubt. Runcorn East despite it connections to the busway never really took off so something edging towards Moore may well be attractive. Driving to Warrington down Chester road is something to be avoided.

Woodchurch is purely throwing a bone to the Wirral. Unless battery 777s get used on that line a bus will remain the quickest way to Liverpool but again the aim is for that in the long term.

Add in Baltic whatever the are calling it and I'll give him some credit for at least trying to improve the network.
I don't think the 777 can be dual voltage and battery powered unfortunately.

frodshamfella

Established Member
To be fair, a key concept of LCR is that it is a region that revolves around a city and whose economic and social wellbeing is predicated on the vibrancy of that city.

I tend to agree , I live near Frodsham, and it's Liverpool City I go for entertainment etc, so better access to and from is a good thing.