• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket Cancellation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Can anyone shed any information about why this would be cancelled, and by whom? (NB for the avoidance of doubt I'm not after the individual who cancelled it rather if it was an on train, barrier, or other cancellation).

Asking for a colleague.

The post contains a picture of an cancelled E or M-ticket from Preston [PRE] to Kirknewton [KKN] discounted with a 26-30 railcard.

Attachments

• IMG-20231218-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20231218-WA0000.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 271
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJeeves

Established Member
Cancelled by PICO4UK suggests it was the retailer that cancelled it (probably bought through Avanti?). Usually this is the case if the customer claimed a refund on the ticket as unused/chose not to travel due to disruption.

74A

A quick Google search says PICO4UK is c2c trenitalia. So yes has been cancelled by the retailer.

island

Veteran Member
Usually this is the case if the customer claimed a refund on the ticket as unused/chose not to travel due to disruption.
If it was cancelled less than five hours after purchase and presented for travel a week later I would struggle to infer an innocent explanation.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
A quick Google search says PICO4UK is c2c trenitalia. So yes has been cancelled by the retailer.
Speaking from ignorance here, but how is this consistent with the text ’2) Check origin: ticket is PRE -> KKN (this service EDB -> GLC)’? That reads to me like an on-train endorsement.

Also, would we/an officer on a train accept (any part of) an EDB-GLC train as being a permitted route for this ticket?

Also, would we/an officer on a train accept (any part of) an EDB-GLC train as being a permitted route for this ticket?

The route for Preston to Kirknewton, as given on the Northern app involves changing at Haymarket/Edinburgh onto a ScotRail service towards GLC that calls at KKN.

What route are you suggesting they take otherwise?

island

Veteran Member
Speaking from ignorance here, but how is this consistent with the text ’2) Check origin: ticket is PRE -> KKN (this service EDB -> GLC)’? That reads to me like an on-train endorsement.
I’m reading that as a warning that the app thinks the passenger is off-route/doubling-back.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
The route for Preston to Kirknewton, as given on the Northern app involves changing at Haymarket/Edinburgh onto a ScotRail service towards GLC that calls at KKN.

What route are you suggesting they take otherwise?
Thanks for that. As I say, speaking from ignorance so was asking questions that would illuminate me, and hopefully other members.

Thanks for that. As I say, speaking from ignorance so was asking questions that would illuminate me, and hopefully other members.

No worries. My only thinking for that warning to come up is if the passenger has possibly ended up on a service that doesn't call at KKN? Although it seems a bad way of wording it if that is the case, since I assume the ticket would be valid for at least part of the journey (i.e changing at an intermediate station so the passenger doesn't have to endure a stopper for the whole journey)?

RHolmes

I’m reading that as a warning that the app thinks the passenger is off-route/doubling-back.

It’s a standard feature of the Star Mobile app when a service is specifically selected for the purpose of selling tickets applicable to that route and then then tickets scanned using the same device and software - totally normal

If a ticket starts and ends on a route not ran by the TOC and not fully covered by the service or stations selected, this warning appears for the staff member to check the ticket.

In the above screenshot “Preston (Lancs)” is what has prompted the message

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
With regard to the route warning: that is just a generic warning that is sometimes given when the origin or destination is not on the line of route of the selected train.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
So the route warning that I quoted doesn't say anything about where the ticket was cancelled? Thanks - it appears I started a hare running but this means we don't have to consider that point.

RHolmes

So the route warning that I quoted doesn't say anything about where the ticket was cancelled? Thanks - it appears I started a hare running but this means we don't have to consider that point.
No the only information in regards to the cancellation was that is was cancelled at approx 12:10:06 on the same date as purchased by/or via the retailer or software belonging to the retailer such as their app (believed to be C2C).

alistairlees

Established Member
No the only information in regards to the cancellation was that is was cancelled at approx 12:10:06 on the same date as purchased by/or via the retailer or software belonging to the retailer such as their app (believed to be C2C).
I would expect that the retailer was Avanti rather than c2c.

robbeech

Established Member
If it was cancelled less than five hours after purchase and presented for travel a week later I would struggle to infer an innocent explanation.
I’d be inclined to agree, if that is what is being suggested here with the displayed data. The only possible thing I could thing of would be if the system had failed to take payment but I’d rather assume it would be completed in full before allowing the sale, unless it was bought on board ‘offline’ if that’s still a thing?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
You’ll sometimes also see “Cancelled by TTL”. Ticket has been cancelled by the retailer as suggested up thread. I’d also agree with @island.

Krokodil

Established Member
It’s a standard feature of the Star Mobile app when a service is specifically selected for the purpose of selling tickets applicable to that route and then then tickets scanned using the same device and software - totally normal
It's not a feature on ours. Ours wouldn’t show multiple warnings either or highlight bits of data.

RPI

Established Member
TTK would show all the relevant warnings in a red box at the top.

With TTK it shows if cancelled by the retailer, would say "Cancelled by TTL(or other retailer)", you can then look in the scan log and find the scan from the retailer where it was cancelled and it will give more details on that individual scan, such as "customer claimed a refund".

Veteran Member
Was it a week later?
Purely coincidentally, the 0954 PRE-EDB is booked into Haymarket at 1210, though why you would cancel a ticket and then carry on to Kirknewton isn't obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.