• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

To whom do I elevate this matter to (bus advertising)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yew

Established Member
Recently, I borded a bus with the following vinyl on the side of it. (saying; 'we :wub: students, £1 flat fare anytime day or night on Y36)
This was also displayed on the head board of the bus
10349136_10203485909722161_488606611952154077_n.jpg

However, on presentation of my (valid) student card, I was requested to pay the following fare (a £2.50 student fare)

10418415_10203485909562157_440669880602567752_n.jpg

Whom would I consult about this blatant flase advertising resulting in myself being overcharged? (I would have continued to argue my point with the bus driver, if it where not for my respect for those in this difficult profession)

Yew

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Snail

Established Member
Recently, I borded a bus with the following vinyl on the side of it. (saying; 'we :wub: students, £1 flat fare anytime day or night on Y36)
This was also displayed on the head board of the bus

However, on presentation of my (valid) student card, I was requested to pay the following fare (a £2.50 student fare)

Whom would I consult about this blatant flase advertising resulting in myself being overcharged? (I would have continued to argue my point with the bus driver, if it where not for my respect for those in this difficult profession)

Yew

What does the small print on the sticker say?

pjnathanail

The small print says offer only valid between certain times, I can't remember which times, but they are designed to exclude the night bus that is shown in the picture. I have always thought the advertising is questionable, as the large statement seems to directly contradict the small print with the use of the word anytime. The operator in question is yourbus, who can be contacted at catchyourbus.co.uk. Alternatively a complaint could be raised with the advertising standards agency.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Do you attend the University of Nottingham?

That is not a requirement for discounted student tickets on this operator. They only require a valid student card. My NUS Extra card from a different institution has been fine in the past (during the day)

PG

Established Member
As a first port of call I'd suggest contacting the operator of the bus to see what they say regarding your query - although I'm no legal eagle, it seems misleading to claim this fare is available at anytime day or night but then qualify this with a further statement in small print. <(

WatcherZero

Established Member
First take it up with the bus company, if you dont feel you recieved a satisfactory response you can then take it up with the Advertising Standards Authority.

harry42

Was the bus branded as Y36?

Students aged 16 and above are eligible for reduced fares on certain services we operative. Valid ID must be shown to obtain these fares.
Also:

On some services and at certain times of the year we run promotions and offers on some of the tickets we provide. These are limited time offers and can be withdrawn at anytime without any prior notification.

All suggestions and complaints whether in writing, by email, in person or by telephone will be investigated and dealt with.
We will provide a response as quickly as possible and always within one week of receipt, even if this is initially to explain what investigation needs to take place and how long this will take.

From their conditions of carriage

Facebook: doesn't seem to be answered, so I would email or even beter call:

Dunn Motor Traction Limited (trading as yourbus) Heanor Gate Industrial Estate Heanor Gate Road Heanor Derbyshire DE75 7RJ
Telephone 01773 714 013 www.catchyourbus.co.uk

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
What does the small print on the sticker say?

Since the sticker clearly states "Anytime, day or night, on the Y36" any small print at the foot of the same sticker that then contradicted this would be an interesting legal debate in court, as the sticker wording is totally categorical in its meaning. The words to note are "Anytime, day or night"

Flying Snail

Established Member
Since the sticker clearly states "Anytime, day or night, on the Y36" any small print at the foot of the same sticker that then contradicted this would be an interesting legal debate in court, as the sticker wording is totally categorical in its meaning. The words to note are "Anytime, day or night"

The words to note are all of them since it is far from unusual in other areas to promote a high level of service and at the same time append a restriction to it.

"Unlimited Broadband - subject to fair use policy" where thhe fair use policy has a strictly defined limit would be a good example and something that has been seemingly acceptable for years.

Without knowing what it says it is rather pointless speculating on the legalities of what we think it says.

Not that I am arguing that the bus company are correct, I am just interested in what the small print says and also in why the OP posted the picture with it visible but not readable and did not mention what it says.

Last edited:

Yew

Established Member
I am just interested in what the small print says and also in why the OP posted the picture with it visible but not readable and did not mention what it says.

I think it said 'on presentation of valid student ID' or words to that effect. I didnt have time to double check when I got off the bus, as I was busy taking the photographs. The only other thing I can think it could be might be is 'using our smartcard system' I'll give yourbus an email about the matter asking them to explain, and if there is not a satisfactory response I'll elevate it..

Interestingly, the student fare has been raised to £1.35 anyway, despite the timetable on their website, the bus headerboards, their twitter and the stickers all mentioning £1 student fares. The website also does not mention any fares increases during the night.

Yew

Flying Snail

Established Member
I think it said 'on presentation of valid student ID' or words to that effect. I didnt have time to double check when I got off the bus, as I was busy taking the photographs. The only other thing I can think it could be might be is 'using our smartcard system' I'll give yourbus an email about the matter asking them to explain, and if there is not a satisfactory response I'll elevate it..

Interestingly, the student fare has been raised to £1.35 anyway, despite the timetable on their website, the bus headerboards, their twitter and the stickers all mentioning £1 student fares. The website also does not mention any fares increases during the night.

Yew

If that is correct and there is no smallprint explaining the disparity it seems incredibly stupid and amateurish to be advertising fares they do not provide. It is just a very good way to annoy people and send them to their competition.

If I was driving that bus under those circumstances I would most likely have removed the stickers myself, there are more than enough unavoidable situations that cause friction with passengers without having to manufacture more by making up fictitious discounts.

CallySleeper

Established Member
I'd complain to yourbus but I doubt you'll get far since a) they'll claim it's the standard night fare (despite the ticket displaying 'Student' and b) it's yourbus. I'd get onto the City Council and Bus Appeals. Good luck!

e: Consider also emailing student unions.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I'd complain to yourbus but I doubt you'll get far since a) they'll claim it's the standard night fare (despite the ticket displaying 'Student' and b) it's yourbus. I'd get onto the City Council and Bus Appeals. Good luck!

e: Consider also emailing student unions.

The official advice from BusUsers UK is:

If you have a complaint about a journey then the first thing you need to do is talk to the bus or coach company.

We can’t normally get involved until they’ve had a chance to resolve your issue, so you can use the links below to contact them.

You need to tell the bus company:
•what bus service you were travelling on
•where you got on (or tried to get on)
•where you were travelling to (or hoping to travel to)
•the date
•the time (be as precise as possible)
•and what went wrong.

Give the bus company as much information as you can and if you know the registration number of the bus, or the driver’s number, then supply that too. If you purchased a ticket on the journey you are referring to, that may provide some of the detail you need.

If you're not happy with the way the bus company has handled your complaint then you'll need to contact:

•London Travelwatch if your journey was on a London bus
•The Consumer Council for Northern Ireland if your journey was in Northern Ireland

If your journey was on a bus anywhere else in Britain, or on a long-distance express coach (even in London) then Bus Users UK can help.

You can lodge your complaint with us on the Make a complaint page, email [email protected] or call us on 0300 111 0001.

I would also highlight that First Bristol have just been reported to the ASA and have had to remove some offending material about an unjust claim or something to avoid sanctions, so if you don't have joy (or even if you do), you might want to contact them.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Interestingly, the student fare has been raised to £1.35 anyway, despite the timetable on their website, the bus headerboards, their twitter and the stickers all mentioning £1 student fares.

The website says the £1 fare has stayed the same. http://www.catchyourbus.co.uk/fares/index.html. It does show that the Nightbus single is now £2.50, which may explain the fare you were charged. The timetable shows "all students go for £1!", with no smallprint.

Dunn Motor Traction being naughty with their advertising? Never in the world.

harry42

OK, the advertising is wrong: 'day or night'

But all operators in Nottingham operate a flat fare 'as soon as the clock strikes midnight!'

Come to think of it, it is £2.50, whatever age you are.

But that advertising is wrong.

UNLESS, he/she? made a mistake and thought you asked for a student all day which IS £2.50

34D

Established Member
OK, the advertising is wrong: 'day or night'

But all operators in Nottingham operate a flat fare 'as soon as the clock strikes midnight!'

Come to think of it, it is £2.50, whatever age you are.

But that advertising is wrong.

UNLESS, he/she? made a mistake and thought you asked for a student all day which IS £2.50

The ticket clearly states "student single".

ASA would be a good one.

Is there a quality partnership in Nottingham?

Status
Not open for further replies.