• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOC demanding pension repayments after dismissal - a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
That should be the theory. Is the practice actually different?
I don't believe that should be the theory. The employer contributions were made in good faith, while the employee was in good standing with the company, in accordance with the contract of employment. So the employee has "earned" those employer contributions. The fact that they the employee was later dismissed doesn't change that.

I can only speak from my dataset of one, but when I was dismissed the entire pension pot was mine but they, as you would expect, didn't make any further contributions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tallguy

If a (former) employee is thrown out of the pension scheme, then the scheme would have contributions (normally invested) for someone not in the scheme. It therefore makes sense for these (both employee and employer contributions) to be refunded to the TOC (originating organisation) and former member of staff.

In essence, a scheme with 100 former employers in it should have 100 employee and employer contributions. If one member is thrown out, then it should only have 99 employee and employer contributions, and a refund of contributions to both employee and employer should be made.

Totally different. I have money invested in 2 former employer pension schemes, the money is mine and sits there slowly increasing in value and will continue to do so until I decide to do something with it. I know former NHS employees who left the NHS but left their pensions in the scheme and refuse to move the money elsewhere as the payout under that scheme will be far better than elsewhere. They can’t add to the funds but they can’t lose the, either, despite having been made redundant by the `NHS.

MotCO

Established Member
I can only speak from my dataset of one, but when I was dismissed the entire pension pot was mine but they, as you would expect, didn't make any further contributions.

At least we can agree that the pension scheme did not hold onto the contributions relating to your service. :smile: However, presumably you had a lump sum with which to purchase a pension, so you were not too badly affected and effectively you were not penalised.

Totally different. I have money invested in 2 former employer pension schemes, the money is mine and sits there slowly increasing in value and will continue to do so until I decide to do something with it. I know former NHS employees who left the NHS but left their pensions in the scheme and refuse to move the money elsewhere as the payout under that scheme will be far better than elsewhere. They can’t add to the funds but they can’t lose the, either, despite having been made redundant by the `NHS.

I agree, but my point concerned employees who were 'thrown out' of the pension scheme as part of a punishment relating to their dismissal. Anyone just changing jobs can normally either transfer the pension or keep it in the former scheme.

matt_world2004

Established Member
A few final salary pension schemes have your annual entitlement rise by a certain amount . Even if you have left the company to take into account inflation. This would require the employer or the pension scheme paying an interest on figures already accrued.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't believe that should be the theory. The employer contributions were made in good faith, while the employee was in good standing with the company, in accordance with the contract of employment. So the employee has "earned" those employer contributions. The fact that they the employee was later dismissed doesn't change that.

It does strike me as rather similar to asking for all the previously paid salary to be paid back on dismissal, which of course is out of the question. But I have heard of this before in the context of final-salary schemes. I'm not entirely clear why it should be allowed when a pension contribution is basically pay, just directed to a pension scheme instead of the employee's bank account.

najaB

Veteran Member
I agree, but my point concerned employees who were 'thrown out' of the pension scheme due to dismissal.
There's a key issue here that means we might be talking at cross-purposes - not all pension schemes are the same. ;)

Most pensions these days are stakeholder rather than workplace (almost all of which are either closed to new entrants or have been converted to stakeholder). You can't get "thrown out" of a stakeholder pension since the contract is between the employee and the pension company.

MotCO

Established Member
There's a key issue here that means we might be talking at cross-purposes - not all pension schemes are the same. ;)

Most pensions these days are stakeholder rather than workplace (almost all of which are either closed to new entrants or have been converted to stakeholder). You can't get "thrown out" of a stakeholder pension since the contract is between the employee and the pension company.

Yes, I was referring to occupational (workplace) pensions. Stakeholder pensions are indeed different.

MP33

When I worked for the Civil Service, a senior officer who had chaired disciplinary hearings told me that you only lost your pension if. The Permanent Secretary or Chief Executive of your department went on the record to say that what you did affected national security or the state of the nation.

najaB

Veteran Member
Yes, I was referring to occupational (workplace) pensions. Stakeholder pensions are indeed different.
For occupational/workplace pensions then the only acceptable resolution for someone who gets thrown out of the scheme would be for their employee contribution to be made available to transfer to a stakeholder pension. A agree that asking them to repay anything would be on questionable legal ground.

greyman42

Established Member
Never heard of this before

I know someone that was fired for second instance of low performance and they got pay in lieu of notice period, put on 3 months gardening leave (the notice period) and company continued to pay into pension through this extra 3 months pay. They did lose share options though
Yes, i am aware of an almost identical case though not in the rail industry. I don't think it is an uncommon practise.

If you are dismissed for certain offences some toc reserve the right to hand back any contributions you have made to the pension scheme and refuse any benefits of the pension scheme . The offence usually has to be really bad for this to happen though.
What sort of offence are you alluding to?

Last edited:

matt_world2004

Established Member
Yes, i am aware of an almost identical case though not in the rail industry. I don't think it is an uncommon practise.

What sort of offence are you alluding to?
The colleague that I had it happen to. Regularly made phone calls to Jamaica on the work mobile.

They fabricated data for an considerable period and was found to spend most of their duties in a weatherspoons rather than their work place. (We worked independently)

Wolfie

Established Member
If a (former) employee is thrown out of the pension scheme, then the scheme would have contributions (normally invested) for someone not in the scheme. It therefore makes sense for these (both employee and employer contributions) to be refunded to the TOC (originating organisation) and former member of staff.

In essence, a scheme with 100 former employers in it should have 100 employee and employer contributions. If one member is thrown out, then it should only have 99 employee and employer contributions, and a refund of contributions to both employee and employer should be made.

Your example assumes that all scheme members are no longer employed. In reality, scheme members are a mixture of the currently and formerly employed.

Established Member
Attached is an email that might shed some light.

I moved to another TOC, and MTR Crossrail forgot to stop paying me. The below was given to me as part of a GDPR request, and states that they are unable to get pension contributions back, even if they were made in error.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-13 at 18.41.01.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-13 at 18.41.01.png
    388.6 KB · Views: 98

SteveM70

Established Member
A few final salary pension schemes have your annual entitlement rise by a certain amount . Even if you have left the company to take into account inflation. This would require the employer or the pension scheme paying an interest on figures already accrued.

Not necessarily. What it means is that the employee has certainty as to what their benefits will be, and the employer (as funder of the pension scheme) bears the risk. If the investments made by the scheme outperform inflation, the scheme would be overfunded and the company might be able to take a contribution holiday; if it they didn’t keep pace with inflation then yes more contributions from the employer would technically be required, although whether or not they’d be made in a timely manner is an entirely different question. You only have to read about the BHS pension scheme to see it doesn’t always happen

WesternLancer

Established Member
Police officers can also lose their pension for violation of the official secrets act or treason.
different as I think the police pension (like some other govt backed schemes eg civil service, but NOT local govt) is an 'unfunded' scheme - ie you do not pay into a 'pot' that is invested to / managed to create a fund from which defined benefit pensions are paid. I think those pensions (police etc I mean) are simply paid out of tax revenue. Obviously there is a formula based on service length that defines the pension paid out when you become entitled.
So you may have your pension denied you for certain acts, but not the same as an employers contributions being re-claimed from your fund - since there is no fund to claim them from.

If I have all this correct of course.

Railway pensions are a funded scheme.

I think not. The point is that these schemes are 'collectivised' - the same as when a member of a scheme, with no dependents, dies in service and thus no pension to be paid out, the money is simply retained by the pension fund. The employer / TOC would not get it back.

Yes, these schemes typically track inflation (not wages) if you leave the employment but opt to leave your pension contributions in the fund until you are old enough to claim them.

Yes, good point - but the railway pension scheme AFAIK is workplace defined benefit scheme (as are most public sector schemes still - even if they may no longer be final salary related. Often now career avg. They are Defined Benefit Schemes, as opposed to Defined Contribution Schemes - the latter being a 'pension pot' that is only yours and your pension dependent on how that pot performs.

Defind benefit has no relationship to how the pot performs, you get what is defined - and if the pot fails to make enough, the taxpayer (AKA dept for transport / Treasury in the case of the railway) has to pay up.

This is of course behind the argument that say Stagecoach leave the bidding for several rail franchises recently. DfT wanted them (and other bidders) to take on that pension shortfall risk IIRC.

I think a lot of the posts in this thread have not properly considered fundamental differences between Defined Benefit Pensions scmes and Defined Contribution pension arrangements. I believe 'stakeholder' pensions which are now common but are a relatively recent thing in the great scheme of pensions, are defined contribution.

This is specific to the local government pension scheme I don't know if it applies to other schemes but some employees in the rail industry (eg if you work for TfL) are subject to the local government pension scheme rules I think
I useful link ref the LGPS (changes were introduced after some notable examples of high paying staff leaving but being entitled to full pension benefits even though they had been perceived to have done wrong) but reading ti indicates how rare this action actually is, and how difficult it is to make it happen in practice I would say).

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
there is nothing to repay as the employee has not recieved anything.
I don't think you are correct - the employee received pension contributions made by their employer into the defined benefit scheme. It is the ability (or otherwise) to reclaim them at the time or directly after the misdemeanor that is being discussed - NOT the ability to deny payment of pension when the employee (or former employee) reaches retirement age whether from deferred scheme membership or career long pension scheme membership - eg a 40 year qualifying period typical for a defined benefit final salary type scheme.
It will of course depend on the rules of the railway pension scheme that the employee is a member of whether this is permissible or not. If it is I expect it is only in extreme circs that this can be done.

Pensions are essentially 'deferred pay' so any decision to take money out of the fund is the equivalent of reclaiming past pay from you, by withholding future pay. As can be seen from the LGPS linked example up thread the Ombudsman did not seem to support this even in what looked like a case where a person had stolen £400K plus from their employer.....

74A

This is an urban myth that appears from time to time. It was the case many years ago that if you lost your job you lost your pension. However this has not been the case for many years. Pensions contributions are part of your salary and the company has no right to ask for them back. If you were dismissed then your pension earned to that date would be frozen until you reached retirement age and claimed it.

Harold Shipman did not lose his pension and he murdered 215 people. If he did not lose his pension is it likely you will lose yours for misuse of travel facilities ?

simonw

This is an urban myth that appears from time to time. It was the case many years ago that if you lost your job you lost your pension. However this has not been the case for many years. Pensions contributions are part of your salary and the company has no right to ask for them back. If you were dismissed then your pension earned to that date would be frozen until you reached retirement age and claimed it.

Harold Shipman did not lose his pension and he murdered 215 people. If he did not lose his pension is it likely you will lose yours for misuse of travel facilities ?
Was he a member of an occupational pension scheme?
Perhaps not the best example to quote as he lost his NHS pension, according to this article.

najaB

Veteran Member
Perhaps not the best example to quote as he lost his NHS pension, according to this article.
It did take the better part of four years after conviction though, and it seems that his wife still got benefit of the monies that he had paid in.

WesternLancer

Established Member

Interesting - but actually in the example it does shed a bit more light on it - see this link - which shows that under the rules of his NHS pension even though, as you say, Mr Shipman lost his pension, his dependents (wife) remained entitled to elements of the NHS pension survivors benefits. Again all presumably down to the rules of the individual occupational pension scheme he was a member of ie the NHS scheme.

so the issue would be a matter for the rules of the Railway Pension Scheme for anyone who wants to check dig around here I guess (I have not done so)

But in this case I agree that it seem unlikely that loss of pension could occur from staff travel irregularities, nor do I suspect it is likely that any debt owed through abuse of rail staff travel facilities could be deducted from past pension contributions, either employer or employee ones. I would expect (but can not be sure without studying detailed contracts stuff) that any such debt would have to be pursued following court action just like any other ex employee debt would tend to do. But if this is not he case my hunch is we might see more examples of it on this forum, or contributors who are union reps etc would probably have come across it in their work as reps in the railway industry.

Last edited:

Established Member
The other question before talking about taking the money from pensions - who is legally responsible, the accusation being fraud, the person who works for the TOC or the person who used the passes ?

I suspect that legally they can't go after the OP anything

74A

And if you read the article it then goes on to say :-

Just after Harold shipman's death it was revealed that Primrose Shipman will receive a pension and lump sum from the Department of Health.

Which is what you normally received after the death of someone who is in an occupational pension scheme.

simonw

And if you read the article it then goes on to say :-

Just after Harold shipman's death it was revealed that Primrose Shipman will receive a pension and lump sum from the Department of Health.

Which is what you normally received after the death of someone who is in an occupational pension scheme.
Yes I read the whole article.

Tazi Hupefi

Think my post got lost during the splitting of this thread, but the legal position is that pension contributions are part of salary/contractual entitlements, and are mandatory by statute anyway, unless the employee opts out. It would create a perverse legal situation if an employer who is legally (by statute and by employment contract) is required to contribute to a pension scheme could simply sack an employee and recoup the employer contributions.

The only time (saving truly exceptional edge cases) that cash EQUIVALENT to employer contributions may be recovered (and even then, not without a court order), is if the employment was gained fraudulently, (e.g. false references, qualifications, identity documents and so on), then the employer could sue the employee in the County Court as the victim of a fraud, and it is possible that a District Judge would rule that the pension contributions where as a direct result of deception, and that not for the fraud, would not have been otherwise enjoyed or obtained by the employee, should be repaid either fully or partially. However, (again save for exceptional cases), the cash could not be simply recovered from the pension fund, once it is there, it is only payable to the beneficiary or generally nominated persons on their death.

Even recovery via the County Court would be a very high bar to meet, because the employer would have to prove that they took every opportunity to mitigate their losses, e.g. pre employment due diligence, reacted quickly, and more than likely would have to prove that the company got no (or not the full) benefit from the employee (even with fraudulent qualifications). Even a fraudulent employee can be a productive, revenue generating one.

Simply garnishing / deducting from last wages/notice period etc would almost certainly be unlawful, with the employee having strong recourse to remedy in an Employment Tribunal / ACAS negotiation.

So, in essence, once the money is in the pension pot, it ain't getting back out!

WesternLancer

Established Member
Think my post got lost during the splitting of this thread, but the legal position is that pension contributions are part of salary/contractual entitlements, and are mandatory by statute anyway, unless the employee opts out. It would create a perverse legal situation if an employer who is legally (by statute and by employment contract) is required to contribute to a pension scheme could simply sack an employee and recoup the employer contributions.

The only time (saving truly exceptional edge cases) that cash EQUIVALENT to employer contributions may be recovered (and even then, not without a court order), is if the employment was gained fraudulently, (e.g. false references, qualifications, identity documents and so on), then the employer could sue the employee in the County Court as the victim of a fraud, and it is possible that a District Judge would rule that the pension contributions where as a direct result of deception, and that not for the fraud, would not have been otherwise enjoyed or obtained by the employee, should be repaid either fully or partially. However, (again save for exceptional cases), the cash could not be simply recovered from the pension fund, once it is there, it is only payable to the beneficiary or generally nominated persons on their death.

Even recovery via the County Court would be a very high bar to meet, because the employer would have to prove that they took every opportunity to mitigate their losses, e.g. pre employment due diligence, reacted quickly, and more than likely would have to prove that the company got no (or not the full) benefit from the employee (even with fraudulent qualifications). Even a fraudulent employee can be a productive, revenue generating one.

Simply garnishing / deducting from last wages/notice period etc would almost certainly be unlawful, with the employee having strong recourse to remedy in an Employment Tribunal / ACAS negotiation.

So, in essence, once the money is in the pension pot, it ain't getting back out!
good post Tazi - and the govt has a wider interest in this too it is worth mentioning - because if employers could seize back occupational pensions the likelihood is that at least some of the employees concerned would have to fall back on means tested state pension benefits to make up their income in retirement - ie the taxpayer is picking up the cost of the outcome - which is usually a situation government would seek to avoid when drawing up relevant legislation.

greatkingrat

Established Member
The rules of the Railway Pension Scheme say

18B Off-Set for Crime of Fraud

If a Member is dismissed from Service because he has incurred a monetary obligation to or caused a
financial loss to the Participating Employer arising out of a criminal or fraudulent act or omission or, if the
Member resigns to avoid such dismissal, the Participating Employer may require that the benefits in
respect of the Member (other than GMPs and benefits arising out of a transfer payment) shall be
reduced by an amount that the Trustee determines on actuarial advice to be equivalent to the obligation.
If the obligation is greater than the value of the benefits which may be reduced, the benefits shall cease
to be payable. If the Participating Employer requests, the Trustee shall pay to the Participating Employer
the amount of the obligation or, if less, the value of the reduction in benefits.
The Member shall be given a certificate specifying the amount of the obligation and of the reduction in
benefits. If the amount of the obligation is disputed, no reduction in benefits shall be made until the
obligation has become enforceable under the order of a court or arbitrator appointed (failing agreement
between the Member and the Participating Employer) by the President of the Law Society or, in
Scotland, by the Sheriff.

It certainly isn't automatic just because someone has been dismissed, but it is definitely possible in some circumstances. It would require criminal conduct though, not just gross misconduct.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It would require criminal conduct though, not just gross misconduct.
I can't agree with that assertion, as it is something you have added. It is clearly stated that the employee does not even have to be found guilty of gross misconduct but can have resigned to avoid that happening. Gross misconduct is the most serious type of disciplinary offence that can be committed and covers criminal activity such as theft or fraud.

greatkingrat

Established Member
I can't agree with that assertion, as it is something you have added. It is clearly stated that the employee does not even have to be found guilty of gross misconduct but can have resigned to avoid that happening. Gross misconduct is the most serious type of disciplinary offence that can be committed and covers criminal activity such as theft or fraud.
It says there has to be a "criminal or fraudulent act". Some cases of gross misconduct will fall into this category, but not all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.