• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOCs requesting information delay repay

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Recently I submitted some delay repay claims on behalf of some friends. They have special needs and are on autistic spectrum. Filling in the forms and going through the delay repay process is not easy for them so I assisted. Filling in their email, address, journey etc.

This is where the trouble began. I have claimed delay repay from the TOC involved before and some of the payment information matched.

They sent an email explaining they do not accept claims on behalf of third parties and requesting bank statements. I have replied to explain the situation as why it not possible for my friends to provide these. They then responded wanting my bank statements, which would provide no evidence to counteract the above

What are the rules on claiming on behalf of someone else when they do not have a bank account? For instance if they are in asylum seeker, tourist or a child?

Purchasing a ticket on behalf of someone else is accepted, although it not when claiming for a delay it seems.

Last year a Turkish relative visited for a few months and my father put in a delay claim for them. Everyone was none the wiser. He bought them dinner or gave them the money, and can’t remember which.

I am looking for advice on how to proceed. The amounts being claimed for are not large and I wish I hadn’t bothered being so helpful now. I don’t want to say the wrong thing although I can’t help but feel that the TOC are being deliberately difficult asking for information which is not required. Am I obligated to send anything? Is it worth it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class800

Established Member
You could point them to the Equality Act - and say that you are helping them as a reasonable adjustment and invite the TOC to comply with the law? As you say, helping others sometimes proves challenging - I always like to do so where I can.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Recently I submitted some delay repay claims on behalf of some friends. They have special needs and are on autistic spectrum. Filling in the forms and going through the delay repay process is not easy for them so I assisted. Filling in their email, address, journey etc.

This is where the trouble began. I have claimed delay repay from the TOC involved before and some of the payment information matched.

They sent an email explaining they do not accept claims on behalf of third parties and requesting bank statements. I have replied to explain the situation as why it not possible for my friends to provide these. They then responded wanting my bank statements, which would provide no evidence to counteract the above

What are the rules on claiming on behalf of someone else when they do not have a bank account? For instance if they are in asylum seeker, tourist or a child?

Purchasing a ticket on behalf of someone else is accepted, although it not when claiming for a delay it seems.

Last year a Turkish relative visited for a few months and my father put in a delay claim for them. Everyone was none the wiser. He bought them dinner or gave them the money, and can’t remember which.

I am looking for advice on how to proceed. The amounts being claimed for are not large and I wish I hadn’t bothered being so helpful now. I don’t want to say the wrong thing although I can’t help but feel that the TOC are being deliberately difficult asking for information which is not required. Am I obligated to send anything? Is it worth it?
Seems bizarre, when I had to submit Delay Repay to Avanti back in February for a delay of over 90 mins I submitted claims for myself and the person travelling separately as it said to do, but I was the one making both claims.

I had no queries on claiming for the other person and the full ticket price was compensated without either delay or issue for both of us.

Is this another case of some TOCs being more "awkward" than others?

skyhigh

Established Member
So are you suggesting that you are submitting the claim using their tickets and details, but to be paid into your bank account?

bakerstreet

In the past I’ve bypassed any online form and written a letter to TOCs when I do claim a delay repay for me and a colleague or group.
That way i can explain things in full and they can then make their own assessment.

LNER has a good process, in case this is the operator you are dealing with.

I bought two tickets for the same journey for myself and another person and I am entitled to Delay Repay. Do I need to fill the form in twice?​

No you don't need to fill in the form twice.
You can fill the form in with your details and the total cost of the tickets and you'll be compensated for both tickets. However, you will need to upload an image or eTicket screenshot for both tickets or booking confirmations.

Last edited:

BluePenguin

On Moderation
So are you suggesting that you are submitting the claim using their tickets and details, but to be paid into your bank account?
Yes, because they do not have their own bank account

You could point them to the Equality Act - and say that you are helping them as a reasonable adjustment and invite the TOC to comply with the law? As you say, helping others sometimes proves challenging - I always like to do so where I can.
I did not mention this in my OP although I did mention the Equality Act actually. They asked for some sort of official letter giving me authority to act on their behalf. I don’t think such a letter is possible to obtain without a solicitor?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

There is nothing in the NRCoT that says that compensation claims must be brought directly by the passenger. It is perfectly within the passenger's liberty to appoint an agent to claim compensation on their behalf.

Obviously TOCs may wish to see some evidence that the person claiming on the passenger's behalf is authorised to do so (e.g. a signed letter) but in principle there are no grounds to refuse a claim just because you aren't the passenger.

They asked for some sort of official letter giving me authority to act on their behalf. I don’t think such a letter is possible to obtain without a solicitor?
Not at all. You simply have your friends sign a letter stating words to the effect "I hereby authorise @BluePenguin to claim Delay Repay on my behalf. Signed, X. Date, Y". It really doesn't need to be fancy - it's not a full power of attorney!

BluePenguin

On Moderation
There is nothing in the NRCoT that says that compensation claims must be brought directly by the passenger. It is perfectly within the passenger's liberty to appoint an agent to claim compensation on their behalf
That is exactly what I thought. Otherwise how else would passengers be able to use tools such as Delay Repay Genie need to make claims?

Status
Not open for further replies.