• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOC's responsibilities when unable to board

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsnedders

Established Member
(Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this, but…)

I'm wondering what the TOC's responsibilities are if you are unable to board the last train for which you hold a valid ticket (e.g., the last train of the day for an Anytime ticket or the booked train on an Advance ticket).

Primarily, I'm thinking of:

• the last train of the day is completely packed full and one is unable to board it (both in the case of having and not having a reservation)
  • the hustle alarm sounding before you are able to board due to number of people leaving the train (this is the least hypothetical issue here—as my father had it happen to him)

I had something else in mind that I've forgotten since I started writing this, bah!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
(Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this, but…)

I'm wondering what the TOC's responsibilities are if you are unable to board the last train for which you hold a valid ticket (e.g., the last train of the day for an Anytime ticket or the booked train on an Advance ticket).

Primarily, I'm thinking of:

• the last train of the day is completely packed full and one is unable to board it (both in the case of having and not having a reservation)
  • the hustle alarm sounding before you are able to board due to number of people leaving the train (this is the least hypothetical issue here—as my father had it happen to him)

I had something else in mind that I've forgotten since I started writing this, bah!

In the case of the first point I remember the old Northern franchise said it wasn't their problem a number of times. I recall a friend of mine was stranded at Manchester one night due to not being able to board and Northern were decidedly uninterested in his plight both during and after the event. They basically said as far as we are concerned the train ran, we can't control how many people turn up to get on, sorry not our problem.

tannedfrog

the hustle alarm sounding before you are able to board due to number of people leaving the train (this is the least hypothetical issue here—as my father had it happen to him)
Surely the driver has not completed his/her checks properly and the passenger would be justified in obstructing those doors.

I note that on the Paris metro they seem to use that alarm as a message to hurry up while people are still boarding but it seems rare on a proper train in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.