• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Toilets at Liverpool South Parkway

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowler9

Established Member
I am sure I have mentioned this before but couldn't find a thread. I love Liverpool South Parkway station, it is really nice in many ways. On the down side it has 3 toilets, not 3 blocks, 3 toilets. I arrived there at around mid day and the one by the mainline platforms had a queue of 3 people (Plus they self clean between every use). Luckily the one by the bus station was vacant. During the week 2 of the 3 were out of use. Baring in mind 8 of the trains an hour and none of the buses have a toilet, plus another 6 of the trains an hour are Desiros and frequently have both toilets locked out of use, plus the fact you can get fined or even arrested for having a wee in public a few more toilets would be nice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leyland155

It is a strange system at LPY to say the least; I can't say I've seen it anywhere else. Not to mention the fact that the automated voice providing "useful" info upon entering the toilet goes on for about 3 mins. One time whilst waiting, I actually saw three people use the toilet in the space of one announcement.

Established Member
It's disgraceful really. Though when Virgin were serving the station on the 27th December, a load of portaloos magically appear outside! (Which were appreciated by myself on Boxing Day evening)

fowler9

Established Member
It's disgraceful really. Though when Virgin were serving the station on the 27th December, a load of portaloos magically appear outside! (Which were appreciated by myself on Boxing Day evening)
I didn't realise there were portaloos outside at that time, that said during the closure of Lime Street I didn't go through there much.

urbophile

Established Member
Is that the downside of Merseyrail running a mainline station? They should have thought this one out beforehand. To be fair to them, they have been increasing their toilet provision at minor stations (although they should, because none of their trains have them, I wonder how many LU stations have toilets even though journey times on some lines must exceed Merseyrail). Isn't it time for South Parkway to be run either by Network Rail or a consortium of long distance and local TOCs?

fowler9

Established Member
There is a toilet on the footbridge, inside the barriers.
Mate I go through there every day. There are three in the whole station. One on the bridge to the mainline platforms. One by the bus station. One in the passageway to the Merseyrail platforms. Two of them are behind the barriers.

8A Rail

Established Member
LSP is a perfectly good station and operated very well by the Merseytravel staff. Another TOC / Network Rail taking over would not improve the service provided by the Merseytravel staff. either. Yes it has only 3 toilets but normally they are adequate for the amount of times they are use and regardless they are always clean - which cannot be said for some stations!! Also remember, majority of the trains (if not all) that stop on the mainline have toilets inside them.

I have use the station on numerous occasions whether for travelling to/from or just for photography, and in my opinion it is an excellent station along with the staff too.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Just be thankful the toilets are free to use, could be worse as they could charge you 20-50p to visit them.

fowler9

Established Member
LSP is a perfectly good station and operated very well by the Merseytravel staff. Another TOC / Network Rail taking over would not improve the service provided by the Merseytravel staff. either. Yes it has only 3 toilets but normally they are adequate for the amount of times they are use and regardless they are always clean - which cannot be said for some stations!! Also remember, majority of the trains (if not all) that stop on the mainline have toilets inside them.

I have use the station on numerous occasions whether for travelling to/from or just for photography, and in my opinion it is an excellent station along with the staff too.
Mate no one is questioning the staff or the general quality of the station. I use it every day and no, the toilets are not adequate. There are about 21 trains an hour using the station during a large part of the day, 8 of the busiest have no toilets. None of the buses have toilets (Most of the main bus routes to the south of the city stop or terminate there).

TheAdelante

I am sure I have mentioned this before but couldn't find a thread. I love Liverpool South Parkway station, it is really nice in many ways. On the down side it has 3 toilets, not 3 blocks, 3 toilets. I arrived there at around mid day and the one by the mainline platforms had a queue of 3 people (Plus they self clean between every use). Luckily the one by the bus station was vacant. During the week 2 of the 3 were out of use. Baring in mind 8 of the trains an hour and none of the buses have a toilet, plus another 6 of the trains an hour are Desiros and frequently have both toilets locked out of use, plus the fact you can get fined or even arrested for having a wee in public a few more toilets would be nice.
That's Merseyrail for you.
Sparse, clattery and overall unsatisfactory.
I'd rather go with ScotRail! And that is saying something...

hassaanhc

Established Member
Is that the downside of Merseyrail running a mainline station? They should have thought this one out beforehand. To be fair to them, they have been increasing their toilet provision at minor stations (although they should, because none of their trains have them, I wonder how many LU stations have toilets even though journey times on some lines must exceed Merseyrail). Isn't it time for South Parkway to be run either by Network Rail or a consortium of long distance and local TOCs?
That would be no guarantee. Putney (National Rail, managed by SWR) has no toilets at all, despite having around 9 million passengers a year! And a significant number of trains that stop there have no toilets on board.

TfL actually have a map of stations served by their services that have toilets: http://content.tfl.gov.uk/toilets-map.pdf

8A Rail

Established Member
Mate no one is questioning the staff or the general quality of the station. I use it every day and no, the toilets are not adequate. There are about 21 trains an hour using the station during a large part of the day, 8 of the busiest have no toilets. None of the buses have toilets (Most of the main bus routes to the south of the city stop or terminate there).
I did write 'mainline' when referring to the trains, and not Merseyrail trains. As for buses. do you expect them to have toilets? Coaches yes, but buses? Talking of which, having used that bus terminal for about 2 months solid, one thing I learnt, the buses invent their own timetables!! :)))))

urbophile

Established Member
As for buses. do you expect them to have toilets?

Of course we don't expect buses to have toilets. That's not the point. The point is that a major interchange station (between mainline and local trains, local buses, airport shuttles) should be better provided with toilet facilities than it is.

Established Member

Actually, Liverpool South Parkway is managed by Merseytravel, not Merseyrail. I think it's blatantly unfair to lay the blame for the poor provision of toilets in a station onto a train operator which isn't even responsible for designing or operating the station!

And by the way, Merseyrail's Public Performance Measure figures are actually higher than ScotRail's.

At the end of Period 10 of 2016/17, Merseyrail's PPM was 12.2% better than ScotRail's, who also finished below Northern.

Statto

Established Member
Liverpool Central has proper toilets which are free, the toilets at Liverpool South Parkway are inadequate & i very rarely use them, both stations are run by Merseytravel, if i'm in the Liverpool South Parkway area i sometimes go to LJL Airport, which have better toilet facilities.

LDECRexile

Established Member
It is a strange system at LPY to say the least; I can't say I've seen it anywhere else. Not to mention the fact that the automated voice providing "useful" info upon entering the toilet goes on for about 3 mins. One time whilst waiting, I actually saw three people use the toilet in the space of one announcement.

The voice is aimed at people with sight loss.

I use the station quite a lot, as does my partner, we are intrigued by "..three people use the toilet in the space of one announcement." We have always dutifully waited for the self-cleaning toilets to self clean, believing that if we nipped in as the previous occupant was emerging we'd be treated to an involuntary wash and brush up. Is this not so? Does anyone care to try it?

Established Member
Liverpool Central has proper toilets which are free, the toilets at Liverpool South Parkway are inadequate & i very rarely use them, both stations are run by Merseytravel, if i'm in the Liverpool South Parkway area i sometimes go to LJL Airport, which have better toilet facilities.

If I'm at South Parkway, I'll try and wait until the train I intend to catch (if I'm travelling on the mainline) arrives, because it's usually my luck there's a queue, they're out of order or they're in use - or a combination of those. I can count the times I've actually able to use the toilets at South Parkway on one hand, but to be fair, on those occasions I haven't had any complaints about the modules themselves. It's just the clear lack of them that really lets it down for me.

Another thumbs up for the facilities at Liverpool Central from me too. I've never had any complaints about their presentation or availability.

frodshamfella

Established Member

I wouldn't agree with that, Merseyrail I think of a frequent and reliable service, with manned stations everywhere, there also using very old stock. I wish they went out to where I live.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If I'm at South Parkway, I'll try and wait until the train I intend to catch (if I'm travelling on the mainline) arrives, because it's usually my luck there's a queue, they're out of order or they're in use - or a combination of those. I can count the times I've actually able to use the toilets at South Parkway on one hand, but to be fair, on those occasions I haven't had any complaints about the modules themselves. It's just the clear lack of them that really lets it down for me.

Another thumbs up for the facilities at Liverpool Central from me too. I've never had any complaints about their presentation or availability.

Last time I used them they were at least present, but they were grubby and damaged/vandalised. Mind you that also applies to the EMUs - they show a poor attitude to cleaning, with muck built up in entirely avoidable places.

Established Member

I use the station quite a lot, as does my partner, we are intrigued by "..three people use the toilet in the space of one announcement." We have always dutifully waited for the self-cleaning toilets to self clean, believing that if we nipped in as the previous occupant was emerging we'd be treated to an involuntary wash and brush up. Is this not so? Does anyone care to try it?
The door remains open, and does not start cleaning. I mean... you COULD have a pee in theory!

I've seen 2/3 people go in together to avoid having to stand outside for a very long time...

Established Member
You might wish to know that in the nearly 14,000 miles I travelled on Merseyrail last year-I had 3 delays of over 30 minutes. Just 3.

One was caused by my train breaking down over Allerton Junction during a storm.

One was a reoccuring track fault in the loop which (touch wood!) I don't think has happened since.

The final one was due to an ill passenger.

You're fully entitled to your opinion-however based on my (quite significant) experience, I feel it's totally unjustified... (admittedly, a bog for Hunts Cross-Southport would be nice! Especially given the time I spend on them...)

ScotRail on the other hand-just one significant delay (in a lot less mileage-certainly less than 2,000), however it was a delay of 100 minutes!

Leyland155

I agree that the information is of use for people with sight loss, whatever can be done to make the toilet more accessible should be implemented. It's just that the length of the announcement did initially surprise me!

When I was last at the station, the same announcement continued during the cleaning and after it, hence why three people were able to use the toilet. I'm not sure I have the willingness to experience what happens during the cleaning first hand though :D

ivanhoe

Bit of a hike between LSP and LJL Airport. Why not drop into one of the boozers in Garston?

fowler9

Established Member
Bit of a hike between LSP and LJL Airport. Why not drop into one of the boozers in Garston?
The Derby and the Palatine are pretty close. I am of course not suggesting using the toilets unless you give them your custom, I do go in them on a moderately frequent basis. Ha ha.

Established Member
The Derby and the Palatine are pretty close. I am of course not suggesting using the toilets unless you give them your custom, I do go in them on a moderately frequent basis. Ha ha.
Problem with that-as I've learnt this week now I can do that-is that you pop into a pub for a pee, enjoy an adult beverage, get back on the bus and need a pee again!:D:D

ChathillMan

I was at South Parkway during the week of the Lime Street retaining wall incident. First time i've ever seen a bouncer at a toilet....

Status
Not open for further replies.