• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Toilets on trains

Bob Price

The new 398's on TfW will not have toilets. Thai had me thinking, where else are there trains, metro systems and tram systems in the UK which don't have toilets?

I have come up with these, have I missed any?
Merseyrail 777’s
South Eastern commuter services.
London Overground
London Underground
Elizabeth line

Metros and tram systems
DLR
Croydon
West Midlands
Manchester
Sheffield
Blackpool
Glasgow
Edinburgh
Tyne and Wear

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
455s and 484s don’t have toilets. 313s, 314s, 315s and 456s didn’t have them either.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
455s and 484s don’t have toilets. 313s, 314s, 315s and 456s didn’t have them either.
456s had them as built, but they were later removed from some units on refurbishment and locked out in others I believe. (I don't think they were CET-fitted? Which may be why.)

norbitonflyer

Established Member
They were removed on all 456s as part of the SWT refurbishment.
No tram or metro system in the UK has them.
All dmus now have them except class 139 and, I think, 153/9
EMUs that don't have them
345, 376, 378, 398, 399, 455,
507, 555, 707, 710, 717, 777.

Last edited:

Javelin_55

They were removed on all 456s as part of the SWT refurbishment.
No tram or metro system in the UK has them.
All dmus now have them except class 139 and, I think, 153/9
EMUs that don't have them
345, 376, 378, 398, 399,
455, 555, 707, 710, 777.
717s don't have them either.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
456s had them as built, but they were later removed from some units on refurbishment and locked out in others I believe. (I don't think they were CET-fitted? Which may be why.)
Were they vandalised and used as drug dens on DOO trains?

They were removed quite a few years before that, when Southern first refurbed them into green I believe
True.

BrianW

Established Member
The new 398's on TfW will not have toilets. Thai had me thinking, where else are there trains, metro systems and tram systems in the UK which don't have toilets?

I have come up with these, have I missed any?
Merseyrail 777’s
South Eastern commuter services.
London Overground
London Underground
Elizabeth line

Metros and tram systems
DLR
Croydon
West Midlands
Manchester
Sheffield
Blackpool
Glasgow
Edinburgh
Tyne and Wear
Just wonderin' ... how big an issue is this? I appreciate the potential 'inconvenience', but toilets need maintenance, take up space etc. Is there a 'rule' as to maybe max length of journey; availability of toilets at (major?) stations ...? Trains with Catering or without First Class or bike provision are advertised as such in timetables; absence/ availability of toilets?

norbitonflyer

Established Member
They were removed quite a few years before that, when Southern first refurbed them into green I believe
Locked out of use in Southern days - I don't know if anything was left inside the cubicles. The space was freed up by SWR for extra seating. Recognisable by the lack of a window.

Peter0124

Established Member
Class 320/3s didn't have toilets when built in 1990. In 2011 they were retrofitted with them though.

Last edited:

TheSmiths82

I suppose the big difference with metro systems is you can just hop off if you need the toilet. For example East Didsbury to Rochdale probably takes around 90 minutes, but there is plenty of places to get off if you need the toilet and the next tram is probably only a few minutes away.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I suppose the big difference with metro systems is you can just hop off if you need the toilet. For example East Didsbury to Rochdale probably takes around 90 minutes, but there is plenty of places to get off if you need the toilet and the next tram is probably only a few minutes away.
Also, almost nobody is going to sit on it all the way from East Didsbury to Rochdale - the line exists predominantly to serve a variety of overlapping, more local journeys.