• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Told off by an inspector for using a combination of tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

transmanche

Established Member
Was there? It is barred on Irish railways, according to information on other threads, and Irish law is basically based on British Common Law. If the NRCoC were altered, could this be challenged successfully, I wonder?
I believe the relevant condition in Irish Rail's CoC is:

11 Re-booking at intermediate stations

Except where specially authorised, passengers are not permitted to re-book at an intermediate station for the purpose of continuing their journey by the same train. Two or more tickets covering different portions of one journey are not available unless the fares paid for such tickets are equivalent in amount to the price of a single journey ticket between the same points. Any passenger using two or more tickets covering different portions of one journey will be liable to pay the full ordinary single fare for the journey made and he or she may be liable to prosecution.​

Irish consumer law is different to UK consumer law (and statute law takes precedence over common law) - but it would be interesting to know if a lawyer felt this condition was contrary to common law.

As an aside, condition 10 prohibits starting or stopping short - but condition 8 permits BoJ (except for suburban services and DART).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris999999

The relevant part of the ticket could be excessed up for the journey you are continuing to do, or you could buy singles. No different from the situation at present where people are being kicked off the direct trains when the train doesn't stop at the splitting point, or having to buy a single from the last stop to the next stop.

Well I wasn't aware that the return part of an off-peak return could be excessed up to another off peak return, but if you say so. As for the cost of doing the journey buying singles...

Being kicked off a train just because you have returned to your starting point, when you have a ticket to travel further is going to be an interesting concept to enforce.

I am glad I normally travel with South West trains who never have any problems in accepting my tickets and whose staff are almost invariably polite, helpful, knowledgeable and proficient.

najaB

Veteran Member
Being kicked off a train just because you have returned to your starting point, when you have a ticket to travel further is going to be an interesting concept to enforce.
But you wouldn't have returned to your starting point because the train doesn't stop there.

najaB

Veteran Member
The train most definitely did stop there. You would understand that if you had read my previous posts!
Apologies, the part of Flamingo's post that you quoted referred to people being kicked off trains that don't stop at the splitting point. I thought you were speaking to the concept of splitting in general, rather than your specific situation.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What about request stops where the train normally whizzes through? Would you have to ask the guard to make the train stop and then not get off? <D
No. Show all relevant tickets to the Guard and explain what you're doing.

(I'm sure this matter was covered by Barry Doe in his Fare Dealer article recently)
If Virgin really are in the habit of denying passengers entry regardless of their entitlement then that is a serious issue.
They refused table38 carriage, and likewise the owner of the Virgin Strains site. There are many more examples. But who is going to make them behave? There's no-one who can actually fight our corner effectively.
Splitting the fares issue from boarding rights, if a train is advertised pick up/set down only, why should a prospective passenger be allowed aboard if their ticket relies on boarding/alighting where the train isn't open to boarding/alighting?
If you see a train shown to call at the station where you change from one ticket to the next, you would not be alighting there, and would not reasonably be expected to realise it may be 'set down only'. The rules clearly allow tickets to be combined at set down only stops - look carefully at how the rules are worded and look at what is advertised to customers and this is obvious.

However for 'pick up only', that is a grey area. However 34D did report that...
Barry Doe has previously commented on this situation, and concurs with hairy above - that because one is not alighting at a pick-up only stop, one is fine to split tickets at a station where the train calls.
...and I'm confident Barry Doe will not have written that if he hadn't already sought advice from ATOC that this was the case.

Does anyone have a copy of ATOC guidance on this matter, and/or a copy of any edition of RAIL where Barry Doe commented on this matter?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I agree that there's no requirement to alight and reboard at the split point, the question being posed is that since it wouldn't be possible to legally use the one of the tickets on that train, does that make the combination invalid?
For a ticket to be valid under 19(b) the train simply needs to "call". A set-down only stop is clearly advertised to customers as a "call". So, for set-down only calls it's very straightforwardly valid.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If its any good, on the TPE 47s for the Tour de France last summer, one of my split tickets was at Leeds and the train I was on from Liverpool diverted via Wakefield, meaning we ran non stop from Huddersfield to York. When the RPI passed through he train he had no problem with the split as the train was advertised to call there until shortly after departure!
We have a post in our Fares Guide that deals with this scenario. Where trains deviate from their advertised route, tickets that would normally be valid remain valid.

(Additionally tickets that are valid by the actual route taken, which would not have been valid by the booked route, become valid)

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . the relevant condition in Irish Rail's CoC . . . .

. . . if . . . this condition was contrary to common law.
The canon of Common Law is extremely helpful in providing answers to many questions which might otherwise be difficult to answer (as well as its other functions: providing a framework to inform citizens and bodies of actions which may be lawful and those which may be unlawful and a similar framework to the judiciary in considering cases brought forward for trial).
But the parties to a commercial contract are entitled to agree terms which are specific to their interests, terms which might have been judged unlawful in different circumstances, most probably circumstances which lacked the precision in drafting the Terms of a recent contract.

It is a general truth that a Contract cannot authorise an action which is unlawful (whether commissioning the act was a statutory offence or a common law tort), but there are many examples of Contracts which specifically authorise an action which will previously have been the subject of an Appeal Court ruling in favour of a complainant against a similar action. This is a complex area, (including such as covenants which can be agreed to enforce a restriction which might otherwise be unlawful); the Courts have been quite happy to allow exceptions to the received rulings in the face of specifics which deserve a different outcome.

Or to put my point in other terms: it is necessary for the development of the Common Law that facts in real-world conflict with it.

[I'm not one of those people who believe that we continually need more statutory legislation. I was very pleased to hear Sir Brian Leveson's decision two weeks ago (in Director of Public Prosecutions v South Tyneside Youth Court [2015] EWHC 1455 Admin) in which he broke from the usual principle that the Courts do not criticise the statutes approved by parliament and based on the common law facts of the matter was eager to criticise the statute and to encourage a reconsideration of the Sentencing Guidelines.]

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
I believe the relevant condition in Irish Rail's CoC is:

Irish consumer law is different to UK consumer law (and statute law takes precedence over common law) - but it would be interesting to know if a lawyer felt this condition was contrary to common law.

As an aside, condition 10 prohibits starting or stopping short - but condition 8 permits BoJ (except for suburban services and DART).

The quote from the CoC is in any event backed up by the Coras Iompair Éireann byelaws – which supersede any common law on the subject.

Flamingo

Established Member
Well I wasn't aware that the return part of an off-peak return could be excessed up to another off peak return, but if you say so. As for the cost of doing the journey buying singles...

I am glad I normally travel with South West trains who never have any problems in accepting my tickets and whose staff are almost invariably polite, helpful, knowledgeable and proficient.

Well, under the present system I would have no problem accepting your tickets either, and I would like to think that I am polite, helpful, knowledgeable and proficient. (I am glad that the staff you encounter daily are).

However, I am of the opinion (although, again, I know it's not a popular one on this site) that the present system should be changed, which was what my post was in relation to, if you would care to read it again.

Ritson

Pardon my ignorance, but what are split tickets?
Is it where you buy lots of single tickets for a long distance journey?
So if I was to go from Leeds to London I could book Leeds to Wakefield, Wakefield to Doncaster, Doncaster to Peterbrough, Peterbrough to London?
(Btw, I don't know if that's the exact route, just using as an example)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
At it's simplest that is exactly what it is (though you could buy loads of returns instead if you were coming back and it isn't just long distance journeys that it works on). However, as we're discussing here, there are rules that govern what exactly you can do whilst splitting.

In your example you'd need a train that actually called at everyone of those stations or your combination wouldn't be valid.

Flamingo

Established Member
So if I was to go from Leeds to London I could book Leeds to Wakefield, Wakefield to Doncaster, Doncaster to Peterbrough, Peterbrough to London?
(Btw, I don't know if that's the exact route, just using as an example)

Lots of people like the idea of saving money, but fewer like the restrictions they can place on what trains one can catch...

Ritson

Lots of people like the idea of saving money, but fewer like the restrictions they can place on what trains one can catch...

Yes indeed, I see what you mean; to be honest, I doubt I would ever actually do that, as it seems to involve too much hassle!

FenMan

Established Member
Yes indeed, I see what you mean; to be honest, I doubt I would ever actually do that, as it seems to involve too much hassle!

It depends. The through fare for a peak time day return from my local station to Birmingham New Street is £121. A simple split reduces this to £50.90.

A £70.10 saving does focus the mind!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, "split ticketing" is where you purchase a combination of two or more tickets. For a full explanation, see Split ticketing
Yes, that's right.
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1179633&postcount=10

Ritson

It depends. The through fare for a peak time day return from my local station to Birmingham New Street is £121. A simple split reduces this to £50.90.

A £70.10 saving does focus the mind!

£70.10?!?
Mmm...might just have a little look next time I go a long distance!

najaB

Veteran Member
The best value splits don't normally include that many segments, but the principle is correct. Typically the best savings are when there is an unusually cheap fare for a segment which can then be combined with a 'normal' fare. Or, alternatively, where the TOC who price the through fare decide to milk it for all they can get for it and overprice it compared to similar distance fares from other operators (XC, I'm looking at you!)

MarlowDonkey

The best value splits don't normally include that many segments, but the principle is correct.

Another one is where all or part of the journey can be done on trains valid with super off-peak tickets, but there isn't such fare for the whole journey.

So if ever planning a journey out of peak times and the enquiry screen only shows "any permitted", it can be time to experiment with breaking the journey up into component parts.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Tends what you mean by "very cheap" ! I don't think ANY UK (non loophole) rail fares are "very cheap". I would say "can be a lot less expensive" !

"Comparatively cheap", perhaps. But I disagree - for instance London Midland-only long-distance super off peak fares are what I would call "dirt cheap", and the Off Peaks aren't exactly prohibitive. Add a Family Railcard or Two Together, and you can make a journey as a family/couple far cheaper than the petrol in the great majority of cars, let alone the other running costs of a car.

najaB

Veteran Member
Another one is where all or part of the journey can be done on trains valid with super off-peak tickets, but there isn't such fare for the whole journey.
I meant to reply to this... Your example is exactly the kind of thing that XC do in the name of 'simplification'. I recently needed to travel from Dundee to Swansea using the combination of sleeper to Crewe and then ATW onwards to Swansea. In the past I've been able to come off the sleeper and continue my journey using a (Super) Off Peak, not so any more thanks to XC.

It was either an additional £120 for the Anytime or a three hour wait at Crewe. Thankfully I was able to split with an Off-Peak return to Crewe and a couple of Advance singles from ATW.

Status
Not open for further replies.