• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Torness Power Station - Rail connected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asylumxl

Established Member
Hello!

I have been led to believe there are flask trains originating from Torness nuclear power station, but try as I might I can't seem to find a rail connection on Google Maps!

Is it rail connected? if so, is it electrified and what kind of facilities exist (sidings etc).

Thank you in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Murph

It's directly adjacent to the electrified ECML, but adding wires might be an issue due to the need to lift the flasks on/off the wagons.

The other problem with using electric-only traction from there towards Carlisle is the un-electrified Edinburgh South Suburban line which is used to avoid the city centre.

Of course, if they had thought ahead, they could have fully re-instated the Waverley line all the way to Carlisle with wires ;)

asylumxl

Established Member
It's directly adjacent to the electrified ECML, but adding wires might be an issue due to the need to lift the flasks on/off the wagons.

The other problem with using electric-only traction from there towards Carlisle is the un-electrified Edinburgh South Suburban line which is used to avoid the city centre.

Of course, if they had thought ahead, they could have fully re-instated the Waverley line all the way to Carlisle with wires ;)

I understand why wires would be an issue but it does seem a tad ironic, a power station connection that's un-electrified :lol:.

I'd imagine electrification and extension would be a future plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.