• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Total Eclipses Spain, 2026 and 2027.

mike57

Established Member
A quick bit of background, there are two total eclipses visible from Spain, one on 12th August 2026, and one on 2nd August 2027.

2026 eclipse is total across a swaith of the country from the North Coast to the Med, but is late in the day, nearly at sunset. Possible places to view would be Zaragoza, Burgos, or Valladolid, all of which appear to have rail stations
2027 eclipse is only total in the extreme South, possible location is Algeciras, again this appears to have a rail connection, and totality is around 10:45, so sun is higher in the sky.

So I am considering a rail trip from the UK to view one of them, part Eclipse chasing and part Rail experience. Its still at the very early stages of planning.

Realistaically its either or, so I need to consider which one would be the best option, so the decision is going to be based on a lot of things, weather, both long term probability and short term on the day weather with the option to move, ease of travel, and other probably rail related things of interest. 2026 eclipse has the option to make last minute changes based on the forecast, 2027 one is basically just the southern tip of Spain so if the weather is poor its pretty well a guaranteed bust.

So probable route into and out of Spain could be one of two options:

Starting from Paris either overnight train to La Tour de Carol followed by local train to Barcelona, then onward travel in Spain by rail from there or TGV/AVE during the day to Barcelona, and then onwards from there.

Another possibility would be to view the 2026 eclipse and explore the North Coast metre gauge lines and find a spot there, looking at weather data its more uncertain, but a beach location on the path of totality would give a good view to the WNW where the sun will be low in the sky. In that case it looks like Paris - Hendaye - Irun, and onward would be my route, but not sure of onward options, I would be making for somewhere around Gijon.

So lots of options, and I need to at least start eliminating some now, I know its 2/3 years away and things can change, but I at least want to come up with a draft plan by the end of this year, at least to make the 2026/2027 decision and a rough area to be aiming for, with an idea of total trip duration.

So any background information or specific ideas are welcome, so far I have looked at the Man in Seat 61 website and investigated what services are currently running without really 'joining it all up' I have a general interest in Railways so also looking to see or experience things rail related.

Does anyone have any idea if the Spanish will run any extra services to get people into the path of totality? SNCF did run some extra services from Paris in 1999, but were overwhelmed at Lille with UK chasers arriving by Eurostar, but I think everyone made it to Amiens.

How reliable are Spanish trains?

I am not averse to using bus/coach for short/local parts of the trip if that simplifies or speeds up the journey. I dont intend to fly, I dont like flying, I do it if I have to, but this is a purely leisure trip, and I want it to be enjoyable. Cost is not a primary driver, I will give myself a budget, but I would rather be comfortable than cheap.

I chased the 1999 eclipse into France by train, and got a superb view in Amiens, I did that as a day trip from London, obviously this trip will be longer

So, thoughts everyone...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
My impression is that Spanish trains are as reliable as any, if not always frequent, BUT all long-distance ones are compulsory reservation and might well sell out, restricting any short-notice changes unless you use regional trains.

Starting from East Yorks I would consider an Interrail, as despite the supplements it will almost certainly be cost-effective (you need to do home-mainland and vv as one day). I am thinking Shipley-Montpellier or Hendaye to start a Spanish trip this summer.

mike57

Established Member
restricting any short-notice changes unless you use regional trains.
Maybe that one thing to consider, base myself where there is a regional service that could take me 50 or so miles in the region of totality if the weather isnt good on the day.
I am thinking Shipley-Montpellier or Hendaye to start a Spanish trip this summer.
I would be interested to see how you get on.

I thought Interrail was only for young people, and I have a 6 as the first figure of my age.

Wandering Pom

I thought Interrail was only for young people, and I have a 6 as the first figure of my age.
Interrail is available for all ages - I think this changed something like 15-20 years ago, possibly when they absorbed the EuroDomino range of national passes. The "Senior" passes (ages 60+) are significantly cheaper than the "Adult" passes (28-59). Interrail is also not just a full month any more - there's a range of shorter period and flexi passes. There's much more information at the Interrail website.

mike57

Established Member
The "Senior" passes (ages 60+) are significantly cheaper than the "Adult" passes
Wont have any difficulties qualifying for that. If SWMBO accompanies for some or all of the trip she will still be on a normal adult pass. Thats part of the planning, depending on other possiblilites. She likes the thought of Barcelona so maybe I will do my eclipse chasing on the day and she wont bother with that leg. 2026 is almost total in Barcelona but not quite (99% obscured), and in tems of view you really need to be on the line of totality, but its maybe 50 miles from Barcelona to get into a good position to view.

Magdalia

Established Member
2026 eclipse is total across a swaith of the country from the North Coast to the Med, but is late in the day, nearly at sunset. Possible places to view would be Zaragoza, Burgos, or Valladolid, all of which appear to have rail stations
2027 eclipse is only total in the extreme South, possible location is Algeciras, again this appears to have a rail connection, and totality is around 10:45, so sun is higher in the sky.
Thanks for this. The path of the 2026 eclipse is quite unusual, being almost north to south, passing over the Atlantic Ocean west of Ireland. I see that 3 Cunard cruise ships are planned to be under the path of totality.

We've been lucky enough to experience four total lunar eclipses and from my experience the time of day can make a big difference to visibility.

We were in Amiens in 1999 - middle of the day, good visibility, but we weren't near the coast which is something to consider as weather conditions can affect what you get to see

March 2006 we were in Side, Turkey, eclipse was early-ish afternoon, excellent visibility - and we were on the beach

November 2012 we were in Port Douglas, Australia, it was a very early morning eclipse, just after sunrise, and we were again on the beach. There was a light early mist but it cleared just in time to experience totality.

August 2017 we were in Depoe Bay on the Oregon coast, eclipse was mid morning and we had woken to thick sea fret! We had thought of jumping in the car and trying to drive inland as it looked like the mist meant we weren't going to see anything but the traffic chaos meant that wasn't an option and the mist cleared just enough at the right time so we did get to experience totality.

You've now got me thinking about whether to try and get to see another one and Spain 2027 looks a better chance to me than Spain 2026 as in 2027 it happens mid-morning viewed from Cadiz: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/spain/cadiz?iso=20270802 - but again the nearness of the sea could affect visibility.

Whatever you decide get accommodation booked asap as there will be lots of eclipse chasers wanting accommodation making prices rise.

Edit: I meant solar not lunar of course!

Last edited:

mike57

Established Member
Spain 2027 looks a better chance to me than Spain 2026
This is the question... 2027 is a small area of totality at the southern tip of Spain, but at a much better time of day. The problem is if the weather is bad there isn't really anywhere to go, even if the forecast 24hr ahead is horrible, where as 2026 has a long path across Spain from north to south cutting across the high inland plateau, which should make for a better probabilty of clear skies in August and possible last minute options depending on forecast, e.g. getting on the leeward side of high ground, but the eclipse is at sunset so you need an open location with a clear view in the NW segment.

Amiens 1999 was observed from the MacDonalds car park... A long story, and some lateral thinking by SNCF staff at Lille who were surprised at the volume of people pouring off the early Eurostars from London

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
For 2026 I think I would head for somewhere like Burgos on the meseta (on the Irun-Madrid line), or around Peniscola on the Med coast.
The whole coast from Valencia to Tarragona is within the zone of totality - somewhere like Benicassim might work well with hotels etc (on the Euromed route).
Mallorca is right at the end of the path and could give spectacular sunset views, say from the Palma-Soller railway, but you will need a perfect north-western horizon.
There's plenty of detail in the predictions on the likely percentage of cloud cover, but it can all be made/ruined on the day with local weather.
It's a short eclipse, the best being just over 2 minutes, so you have to be ready!

North Africa, Egypt and the Red Sea area are favoured in 2027, and the total path just grazes southern Andalucia and also Gibraltar.
The centre line passes just south of Tangier, which I think would be my favoured location, possibly followed by somewhere on the Tunisian coast.
There will clearly be groups heading for Egypt, where Luxor is right on the centre line and near the maximum eclipse duration of over 6 minutes.
The duration of totality in Cadiz is close to 3 minutes, and less than 2 minutes in Malaga, but it is 5 minutes in Tangier.

I've seen four total solar eclipses.
In 1999, based in rainy Alsace, we raced west on the A4 and found a clear patch of sky just in time near Reims at a motorway service station for a great view.
In 2001 we went to Zimbabwe and had an excellent view north of Harare, but it took a lot of planning to get there.
2003 saw us in Caithness but just missing totality which happened at dawn while the mist was down - the chances were always poor.
For the annular eclipse in Spain in 2005 we booked a villa right on the centre line and viewed the whole thing from the villa roof.
In 2017 we went to Idaho and had a splendid view in the back country north of Boise.
You need a tripod, a decent camera with solar filters and plenty of rehearsals to take decent pictures of a solar eclipse, especially if you only have 2 minutes.
I particularly like the diamond ring moments, especially at the end when you can't believe how bright the returning sun is.

You've now set me wondering if I can make one of these eclipses, though August isn't an ideal month for travelling in Spain. ;)

Brissle Girl

Established Member
You need a tripod, a decent camera with solar filters and plenty of rehearsals to take decent pictures of a solar eclipse, especially if you only have 2 minutes.
I particularly like the diamond ring moments, especially at the end when you can't believe how bright the returning sun is.
Alternatively just enjoy and marvel in the moment, rather than spending the time fiddling with photographic equipment.

davews

Half the thrill is watching other eclipse travellers setting up their cameras! And of course the thrill of being there when totality happens. 1999 at Salzburg castle - my own shots of the eclipse with my Olympus SLR film camera were a disaster but just being there was all that mattered/ The clouds magically cleared just in time for the magic few minutes, bucketed down with rain half an hour later.

Attachments

• salzburg.jpg
    salzburg.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 20

mike57

Established Member
So having thought about it some, I think 2026, mainly because the path of totality is much longer with in Spain. Basing myself on the Madrid Irun line makes sense as a large part of it is in the zone of totality, and it looks to be quicker and easier to travel in via Hendaye from Paris.

Maybe book two late afternoon tickets in opposite directions on the day within the zone of totality to give me options regarding cloud and weather, one or both may go unused, but the cost is marginal, and it gives more options. Street View will help identify places to view.

Are timetables available for Spain, rather than a booking engine, this is one of those occasions where it would be better to see what is possible rather than starting with a fixed itinary, as sometimes options appear which you haven't considered. Alternatively something like Real Time Trains which at least allows you see all departures from a given station, and where they stop.

Travelling to North Africa for the 2027 isn't going to happen for me, and every eclipse chaser in Europe will be heading for that southern tip, so everything will be much busier than spread out over a much longer path in 2026.

Veteran Member
Are timetables available for Spain, rather than a booking engine, this is one of those occasions where it would be better to see what is possible rather than starting with a fixed itinary, as sometimes options appear which you haven't considered.
European Rail Timetable gives all the major routes/station.
Alternatively something like Real Time Trains which at least allows you see all departures from a given station, and where they stop.
Try Googlemaps! Or possibly the DB site?

P Binnersley

The TimeAndDate website gives times for the eclipse with direction (almost due west) and angle above the horizon (5-10%), together with the probability of it being cloudy.

The main criteria is to find somewhere with an good unobstructed view west.

I saws the 1999 eclipse near Munich and it was definitely worth it, but I was lucky; the heavens opened an hour after totality.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm already planning my trip!