• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tottenham Court Road ticket gates rejecting paper ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinz

Hi,
Another post in this forum has just reminded me of a recent similar experience at Tottenham Court Road (TCR).
I was travelling on a Luton to Southampton super off peak return ticket routed ✠Any Permitted. There are at least two london-crossing routes that are valid for passing through this station: (1) London Underground Northern Line between Waterloo and Kings Cross St Pancras, and (2) National Rail Elizabeth line between London Paddington and Farringdon. Nevertheless both the gate and the staff rejected my request to exit the barrier. I ended up travelling to Charing Cross, exiting using the paper ticket, re-entering using Oyster card, then travelling back to TCR. My question is then whether it is permitted to exit here on the ground of:
(a) Out of Station Interchange (OSI) between the two sets of gate lines, and/or
(b) Break of Journey (BoJ) when travelling on national rail.

I am happy to share more details if needed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

plymothian

TfL staff were wrong to reject your request to leave the station. You can leave the Underground system on a cross london ticket, but you cannot recommence your journey via Underground using that ticket.

To check if the cost of travel across London is included in your ticket, look for the ‘✠' symbol which will be shown on the ticket under ‘Route' information, e.g. " Any Permitted ✠"

Tickets displaying this indicator are valid for travel between any two stations shown in the ‘Station List' (below) appropriate to the route of the through journey being made.

You are allowed to ‘break your transfer journey' once and leave the Underground, Elizabeth line or DLR at any intermediate station, e.g. if you are travelling on the Underground between Victoria and Euston, you can exit at Oxford Circus. However, if you subsequently wish to continue your journey by Underground you will have to purchase another ticket or use Pay as you go to travel to Euston.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
When making a cross London transfer via London underground you may exit during that transfer but you cannot resume your transfer without purchasing a new ticket (or using Oyster/contactless)

(a) Out of Station Interchange (OSI) between the two sets of gate lines
Out of Station Interchanges are irrelevent to journeys made using paper tickets. They are for journeys made using contactless or Oyster. National Rail tickets that include a cross London transfer voa London Underground are only issued as paper tickets.

The Elizabeth Line compliactes matter slightly. As it is a National Rail operator then technically break of journey is allowed if you are using the Elizabeth Line as part of your journey, however I would not expect this to be hassle free at stations in the central section. If I was going to break my journey then I would try and exit through an 'Elizabeth Line' gate line (e.g. Hanover Square) rather than a London Underground one.

Status
Not open for further replies.