• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCub

Hello there

I've never been on a railtour but am considering it in the not too distant future.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me what the general form of these tours is? I'd probably be going on my own - will that make me look odd?
Do people speak to one another?

Is everyone in their late 70s (no offence intended) or are there people of all ages?

Will I be left to sit alone and unwanted like that last, slightly naff looking, sausage roll at a dreadful family birthday do?

Do people opt for standard or first class?

Above all, will I enjoy myself?

Thanks

MrCub

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 33

Established Member
I've never been on a rail tour yet. So can't really answer all your questions. But I very much doubt that everyone on rail tours are in their late 70's!

theblackwatch

Established Member
You'll find a real mix of people on railtours. On the Retro trip last Saturday the range varied from enthusiasts in their teens to couples in their 70s just there for the day out. I'd just turned 7 when I did my first proper railtour (a 40 and a pair of 20s, visiting Toton and Derby Works), that was over 30 years ago and I'm normally out on around one tour a month or so, so I must enjoy them.

Regarding people speaking, again it varies. Normally I sit with others I know on a tour, but earlier this year I did a tour on my own, it ended up being a very entertaining day chatting with a train driver who was able to tell some real tales of past employment. On the other hand, myself and 2 friends did a tour the other week and the fourth guy at the table, who was on his own, never spoke to us all day!

Class 33

Established Member
I do have a question myself.

On railtours do most people tend to board at the first/first few station calling points? Or is it fairly evenly spread out where the passengers join?

The Hastings DEMU tour on October 3rd interests me. But it would not really be possible for me to board the train from Hastings at 6:30 in the morning. Well I could but it would cost a fair bit more in travel and accommodation costs to do so. So I would board at Tonbridge. Would I probably find that the vast majority of passengers are allready aboard the train by this point? And I'd be unable to get a window seat? It does stop at Sevenoaks, Bromley South, and Kensington Olympia afterwards. If I can't get a window seat I might give this one a miss as I do like my window seats! Some of the other upcoming Hastings DEMU tours have more convenient timings where it is easier to board at the first station.

MCR247

Established Member
You'd probably have reserved seats, so you'd need to reserve a window seat

i never bothered with tours until recently with 87002 because theres no other way to get haulage on 87s now, i bashed 87s when i was younger and i knew every other 87 basher at the time, there where about 10 of us who did them solid in the late eighties, i only recognised one from the recent electric scot tour but dont think he recognised me, its about 20 years ago! Worst case senario is you end up with some sad spotter sitting near you trying to spot every damm train that goes past...saddos! I was nearby to one of the afore mentioned but moved elsewhere. You do get a decent mix of people on them though depends on the traction as well

Established Member
You don't normally get a choice of seat. Some companies do have a surcharge for a "table for two" in first class, thereby guaranteeing a window seat but you usually get what you are allocated.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Your best bet is to join something like this, because that way you will at least know people 'from the forum', you may get a discount, and you will get the chance to talk to lots of people. I spent a lot of time last Saturday away from my seat as I was chatting to other people on board, and spending a bit of time by a window (usually with someone else) - of course, including Manchester Vic - Oldham Mumps (the best bit!).

Once you meet a few people, you can then get introduced to other people. The number of members I knew from this forum on last Saturdays tour was well into double figures.

Class 33

Established Member
Yeah, cheers I may well do that. I won't really be a frequent rail tour goer compared to some of you on here, but we'll have to see. I've only just started getting into these railtours, so it might become addictive! I'm really on the lookout for any slammer EMU tours though(as you might have guessed!), as soon as any of those come up I'll definitely to want to get a seat on those!

I'm on a tour on Saturday. The Class 37 from Marylebone-Quainton Road tour. My ticket has no seat allocated on it, but that's probably because it's just a short tour.

Is this http://www.railtourinfo.co.uk/diesel.html the best website for railtours listings? Any idea whenabouts we'll start to see the listings for early 2010?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yeah, I'm booked on the Worcester Leveller tour. Hastings diesels do reserve seats so you could request one with a window - or alternatively you could go with someone who dosen't mind the aisle seat :lol:

rick9525

I have been on 2 Compass rail tours this year. Main reasons were the type of loco running and the route used. Preston to Painton 2 x class 37 and Stockport to Edinburgh via Settle/Carlise with 2 x class 47s.

It was relaxing and a good day out. There was a raffle and a buffet car and trolly. Very well run and on time.

You get a few hours at your destination before returning back.

Drsatan

Established Member
I've only been on one tour this year which was a Pathfinder Tours service from Eastleigh to Llandudno via Chester. The train went via Basingstoke, Reading, Oxford, Banbury, Leamington Spa, Dorridge, the freight only line via Sutton Coldfield to Walsall, onto Stafford, then up the WCML to Crewe and on to Chester. The return was via Nuneaton and Coventry.

The train was formed of a 67, two standard class Mk2Ds, the "Great Briton" set and two Mk1 buffets. The train was well loaded throughout the entire trip and although most of the passengers were middle aged, there were a few in their 20s. The Mk2s in my opinion are far superior in comfort to the 220s/221s used on XC passenger services: the seats line up with the windows, the air con doesn't smell and the seats offer more support. Plus you have a proper buffet as opposed to a trolley service.

Status
Not open for further replies.