• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE 1st Class Glasgow to Liverpool

Butts

Veteran Member
On November 30th I am travelling direct from Glasgow to Liverpool for a football match and it seems TPE have gone beyond "tea and biscuits" for the freebie offerings.

Even talk of Alcohol.

What can I expect for my £26 "Bargain Berth"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
I though a sandwich is offered on the Socttish services. Or it was.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
On November 30th I am travelling direct from Glasgow to Liverpool for a football match and it seems TPE have gone beyond "tea and biscuits" for the freebie offerings.

Even talk of Alcohol.

What can I expect for my £26 "Bargain Berth"
A vegan snack box and alcohol is only offered after 4pm.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
For £26 I'm not expecting the earth.

What class of Train will it be ?
I didn't intend to suggest it was necessarily poor, sorry, more a matter of fact statement that that's the offering.

Class 397, so best hang on to your drink tightly and enjoy the fairground ride...

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Looks like there's hot food/sandwiches in the evening - just the middle of the day where it goes a bit naff.
I missed that, I just saw the breakfast/middle-of-day offering.

Nevertheless, as the OP says they are on a direct Glasgow-Liverpool train, and there is only one outward at 1204 arriving 1546, it unfortunately looks as though the OP will get neither sandwiches nor alcohol.

Otherwise the weekday evening option seems not too bad actually.

Butts

Veteran Member
I missed that, I just saw the breakfast/middle-of-day offering.

Nevertheless, as the OP says they are on a direct Glasgow-Liverpool train, and there is only one outward at 1204 arriving 1546, it unfortunately looks as though the OP will get neither sandwiches nor alcohol.

Otherwise the weekday evening option seems not too bad actually.

No wonder the ticket was so cheap !!! :'(

ScotTrains

TPEx is very hit and miss in 1st.
Last month I travelled from England to Edinburgh and received a total of 1 coffee and 1 biscoff. If I wanted crisps I'd have to pay extra for them! The train arrived into Edinburgh just after 7pm, so peak dinner time. I was also the only passenger in 1st.

So much for the complimentary "freshly baked Carluccio pastries, pork pies and Manchester beer" that they announced at the start of the franchise!
I don't think I've ever travelled with TPEx and not wished I had gone with LNER or Avanti, even XC.
Be prepared for disappointment!

Butts

Veteran Member
TPEx is very hit and miss in 1st.
Last month I travelled from England to Edinburgh and received a total of 1 coffee and 1 biscoff. If I wanted crisps I'd have to pay extra for them! The train arrived into Edinburgh just after 7pm, so peak dinner time. I was also the only passenger in 1st.

So much for the complimentary "freshly baked Carluccio pastries, pork pies and Manchester beer" that they announced at the start of the franchise!
I don't think I've ever travelled with TPEx and not wished I had gone with LNER or Avanti, even XC.
Be prepared for disappointment!

I can't even access the Glasgow Lounge to stock up prior to the journey on my TPE 1st Class Ticket :'(

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I can't even access the Glasgow Lounge to stock up prior to the journey on my TPE 1st Class Ticket :'(
Is that because it's run by (or on behalf of) Avanti and you need a First Class ticket (valid for Avanti West Coast services) in order to access same?

Butts

Veteran Member
Is that because it's run by (or on behalf of) Avanti and you need a First Class ticket (valid for Avanti West Coast services) in order to access same?

Indeed I've got an advanced 1st Class TPE Ticket valid on a specific service.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Just had the sausage sandwich on a Leeds to Manchester train and I have to say it was excellent. Maybe that's down to having low expectations.

Butts

Veteran Member
Is a Class 397 a Nova 1 ?

Just realised if it is I have booked a seat on a Table of Four.

Is the First Class likely to be empty on the 1204 out of Glasgow Central so I can blag an individual seat ?

Butts

Veteran Member
Class 397s are Nova 2 (I had to Google that admittedly, as the 'Nova' designations have no sticking power whatsoever in my memory).

Looks like it's the same layout with 24 1st Class Seats in Coach E so hopefully a "seat shift" will be possible unless my four will be empty for the whole journey.

Willie Bee

My wife and I were on TPE first class last Sunday (29th October) between Doncaster and Manchester and didn't get anything to eat or drink .. we didn't even see the train manager and nobody checked our tickets too.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
My wife and I were on TPE first class last Sunday (29th October) between Doncaster and Manchester and didn't get anything to eat or drink .. we didn't even see the train manager and nobody checked our tickets too.
Was it a six-car 185? They only provide catering in one set in such instances.

Also catering is not provided until Sheffield on the TPE South route IIRC.

childwallblues

Established Member
Catering is very hit and miss on TPE. I have travelled twice first class on the 0824 Lime Street to Leeds. The first time the trolley did not come on board until Huddersfield and the second time the trolley was on board from Liverpool and visited us twice before Leeds.

Willie Bee

Was it a six-car 185? They only provide catering in one set in such instances.

Also catering is not provided until Sheffield on the TPE South route IIRC.
Sorry, I couldn't tell you

It was Doncaster (DON) to Manchester Piccadilly at 11:44 on Sunday 29th October.

If I knew how to find the train details I would .. sorry !

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Looks like it's the same layout with 24 1st Class Seats in Coach E so hopefully a "seat shift" will be possible unless my four will be empty for the whole journey.
If you drop TPE a message on Facebook Messenger they’ll re-allocate your seat for you. I’ve just done it for an upcoming trip on an 802 where I got given the one airline seat with no window, E26. Took about ten minutes to do.

Given my recent experiences of TPE, I’ll just be glad to see the trolley at all in the 2.5 hours from Manchester to Newcastle.

Butts

Veteran Member
If you drop TPE a message on Facebook Messenger they’ll re-allocate your seat for you. I’ve just done it for an upcoming trip on an 802 where I got given the one airline seat with no window, E26. Took about ten minutes to do.

Given my recent experiences of TPE, I’ll just be glad to see the trolley at all in the 2.5 hours from Manchester to Newcastle.

Ta for the tip.

I've got 3.5 hours from Glasgow to Liverpool so definitely hoping the trolley is present.

Butts

Veteran Member
Well just to put everyone out of their misery.....

Between Glasgow and Liverpool (writing this 30 mins out) there were 2 trolley runs.

Just Tea and Coffee and I believe also pop in cans - plus a snack selection with little bits of cake and small packets of crisps.

Reminded me of the old Scotrail Service with regard to offerings.

Travelled on 1204 ex Central - surely they could offer at least a sandwich ?

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'm surprised to hear that Transpennine Express has a first class catering offering at all: The first class service never seems to have grown in outlook from the days when it was a segregated, very comfortable, "cupboard" at one end of Northern Spirit operated class 158s, 20 - 25 years ago, despite the new-fangled fleets now having a whole dedicated carriage.

I suppose perhaps it should have a bit more on the North West - Scotland run, at least. It was an (infrequent) Intercity operation back in the day, after all, and is over three hours end to end.

Last edited:

Established Member
Well just to put everyone out of their misery.....

Between Glasgow and Liverpool (writing this 30 mins out) there were 2 trolley runs.

Just Tea and Coffee and I believe also pop in cans - plus a snack selection with little bits of cake and small packets of crisps.

Reminded me of the old Scotrail Service with regard to offerings.

Travelled on 1204 ex Central - surely they could offer at least a sandwich ?
Travel after 16:00 and you get free booze!

Attachments

• 20231130_163216.jpg
    20231130_163216.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 38

Butts

Veteran Member
Travel after 16:00 and you get free booze!

Ironically I heard someone asking for a tipple but the Hostess explained they didn't have any loaded due to it being pre 4pm.

Despite the lack of decent fayre the service was bang on time and conveyed me in relative comfort from Glasgow to Liverpool for the princely sum of £26.

First Class was actually quite well patronised on this trip.

HBP

Used Seat Frog on a TPE £1 Sale ticket last night from Liverpool to Leeds. £5 upgrade and was surprised to see a catering offer on the 18.24. Two beers, pretzels and bottle of water. Attentive staff member. Well done TPE.