• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TPE Liverpool - Cleethorpes Timetable 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NoOnesFool

Feel free to move if out of place, are Class 185s cleared to run Gainsborough Central, Brigg, Kirton Lindsey, Cleethorpes?

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
They ran that way ECS when the Hatfield & Stainforth landslip a few years ago, did they not?
Well, and in service. A few trains a day, off the top of my head, set off early and went that way.

Peter749

I read some "speculation" that the Liverpool - Cleethorpes could be operated with 68s & Mk5s and that the Scarborough - York service would be extended to Victoria most hours.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I read some "speculation" that the Liverpool - Cleethorpes could be operated with 68s & Mk5s and that the Scarborough - York service would be extended to Victoria most hours.
The latter is happening this December (2021).

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Everyone else seems to be certain the loco-hauled is going to Cleethorpes, and the jungle drums usually have some truth. Scarborough now seemingly off limits to LH 68; same for Redcar and Saltburn because locals don’t like noise. Idiocy.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Everyone else seems to be certain the loco-hauled is going to Cleethorpes, and the jungle drums usually have some truth. Scarborough now seemingly off limits to LH 68; same for Redcar and Saltburn because locals don’t like noise. Idiocy.

Whilst I agree if you choose to live by a railway line you ought to have to accept compromises, the level of noise that 68s make (As much as enthusiasts adore them for a "thrash") does somewhat take the biscuit. The railway does have a responsibility to be a decent neighbour.

Rhinojerry

I was at Scarborough stn 15/09,68 arrvd leading service from York.Driver left it running for an hour,what a racket plus waste of fuel etc.Are they suposed to shut down ?

Killingworth

Established Member
Not sure about everyone, but South Pennine aren't going to the Airport so not needing to split at Piccadilly. With heavy loadings over the core Manchester-Sheffield section reduced, a 5 car train is currently quite adequate (as long as EMR can keep their half of this section running with 4 coaches and to reasonable time). What's more passenger loads can be better equalised down the train and a trolley can work through the length of it rather than just one half. Seems very logical to me.

Last edited:

Peter749

I was at Scarborough stn 15/09,68 arrvd leading service from York.Driver left it running for an hour,what a racket plus waste of fuel etc.Are they suposed to shut down ?
No. Dmus shut down on a timer if the drivers key is removed but it is not the same for a locomotive.
And the loco supplies power to the coaches.

On Moderation
Well placed information seems to be that Scarborough will be off limits, but Saltburn and South Trans Pennine will see 68s, with 11 sets diagrammed. December 2022 is expected to be the start date for South TPE 68s as there's obviously a load of crew training to do.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Whilst I agree if you choose to live by a railway line you ought to have to accept compromises, the level of noise that 68s make (As much as enthusiasts adore them for a "thrash") does somewhat take the biscuit. The railway does have a responsibility to be a decent neighbour.
Indeed. I've mentioned before that I can hear the 68s on platforms 15 & 16 at Leeds with the (double-glazed) windows shut, even though I live north of the river overlooking P0. It's a heck of a racket, especially when idling/launching, so even louder if you're at Blue Apartments/Waterman's Reach/The Candle. Having it ticking over overnight would be a nightmare, and I'd be first on the phone in the morning.

Voyager lad

I’m so glad someone has finally pointed out the “decent neighbour” clause. People who live next to or near the railway will expect noise - myself included. But if you’re going from small 2 car DMUs which are relatively quiet to the loud and rumbly 68s, that’s when things are different. I’m fed up of people not understanding that the 68s are what have caused people’s frustration - living by the railway is not!

Boothby97

Established Member
Well, and in service. A few trains a day, off the top of my head, set off early and went that way.
Was once a week, on a Saturday. Mid morning Sheffield to Cleethorpes returning early evening, only served Retford and Grimsby Town.

Status
Not open for further replies.