• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Track circuit failure at Woking, 10-Jun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougal2345

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service-disruptions/woking-20230610/

Route(s) affected​

Services through Woking

Description​

Due to a signalling problem at Woking some lines are blocked.

What's Going On

Train services running through this station may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

What We're Doing About It

We have been informed that there is a signalling problem at Woking. This means that some lines through the station are blocked, and trains have to run at reduced speed on the other lines through the station.

Until further notice the following alterations will be necessary:

• Services between London Waterloo and Portsmouth Harbour may be diverted between Surbiton and Guildford and not serve Woking.
  • Services between London Waterloo and Alton will be cancelled.
  • Stopping services between London Waterloo and Basingstoke will be cancelled.

To assist you with your journey your ticket will be accepted, at no extra cost to yourself, on the following services:

• Elizabeth line services between Reading and London Paddington (in both directions)
  • Great Western Railway services between Reading and London Paddington (in both directions)
  • Great Western Railway services between Basingstoke and Reading (in both directions)
  • Cross Country services between Bournemouth and Reading (in both directions)
  • London Underground via any reasonable route (for travel between London Waterloo and London Paddington)
  • RailAir 2 coach services between Guildford and Woking (in both directions)
Due to the disruption today, customers are authorised to book their taxi to travel between Woking and Basingstoke and claim back through our customer service team.
It's just taken me 3.5 hours to travel from Alton to Woking...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

setdown

Yup, a warm day so naturally the South West mainline gets stuffed up thanks to Network Rail.

Getting from Aldershot to Waterloo was fun. I must say though, all the station/onboard staff I encountered were doing a great job. It must be such a difficult job in such heat and under much pressure, fair play to them, wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

Never seen police manning the gatelines at Waterloo before!

Dougal2345

More chaos on my journey home... A much delayed train to Weymouth appeared on the boards and was announced to be stopping on Woking P5 just after 21.00... but it ended up not stopping. Platform announcements blamed miscommunication with control...

It appears that only certain platforms are in use, with P5 being heavily used by both up and down services.

island

Veteran Member
SWR are authorising taxis on a pay and claim basis between Woking and stations to Bournemouth

On Moderation
It’s not just this: there has basically been a complete infrastructure collapse across SWR. Multiple signalling issues between Feltham and Virginia Water/Weybridge and at Sunningdale level crossing currently ongoing.

Welcome to the third world railway.

Dougal2345

There is talk that it was a points failure rather than a track circuit failure (as I'm sure I heard initially, hence the thread title), or the more general "signalling problem" as per nationalrail.

Getting home about four hours late for what should have been a two hour journey... Ah well, 100% delay repay I suppose.

fgwrich

Established Member
SWR are authorising taxis on a pay and claim basis between Woking and stations to Bournemouth
Ouch. I arrived back in Basingstoke (from the west) as it all started to kick off this evening. Passengers heading west of Honiton advised to either speak to the guard to arrange a Taxi or to Pay and Claim. No ticket acceptance on GWR tonight according to the station staff too (or certainly not around 18:00).

3rd rail land

Ouch. I arrived back in Basingstoke (from the west) as it all started to kick off this evening. Passengers heading west of Honiton advised to either speak to the guard to arrange a Taxi or to Pay and Claim. No ticket acceptance on GWR tonight according to the station staff too (or certainly not around 18:00).
SWR's website suggests ticket acceptance on GWR is in place.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Complete chaos all day on the Windsor lines, not helped by engineering works meaning most trains reversing at Twickenham.

Signal failures, points failure, level crossing failure, failed trains

Last 5 Waterloo to Reading services were all cancelled.

davews

2C60 1809 Reading to Waterloo probably holds the record for delays, arrived Waterloo at 0116, 312 late...
Friend from church was up in London yesterday, amused when he said the trains were running fine. He happened to catch the 1800 from Waterloo which was one of the few which did sort of run on time, a mere 26 late in Reading.

No apologies from SWR it seems today, guess it is just a normal day on the trains...

On Moderation
2C60 1809 Reading to Waterloo probably holds the record for delays, arrived Waterloo at 0116, 312 late...
Friend from church was up in London yesterday, amused when he said the trains were running fine. He happened to catch the 1800 from Waterloo which was one of the few which did sort of run on time, a mere 26 late in Reading.

No apologies from SWR it seems today, guess it is just a normal day on the trains...
I was on the 1830 Waterloo-Reading which got as far as Staines and was cancelled there. Absolutely zero information being given out, as you'd expect. The one member of staff I eventually found was at that stage organising a bus that would go non-stop to Reading, which isn't much use for most people. He told me I could get a taxi and claim that back, so I did. First time I've had two delay repays for the same day, plus a taxi fare to claim as well.

I'm not expecting any sort of apology from Claire Mann or her minions, nor NR. It used to happen under Stagecoach where they at least gave a stuff about the punters, but not under the current setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldfish62

Established Member
I just wondering myself if that one was a record.

I was caught up in it all at Twickenham last night. Utter bedlam, but the train crews (of which there were many milling around) were doing their best to help passengers. Some of them (train crew) were already hours late.

Status
Not open for further replies.