• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Track Equipment Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legolash2o

Hey,

What are the equipment I've highlighted in the attached picture please?
IMG_20190530_152756.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ben.A.98

Blue - TPWS Crate
Red - Disconnection Box (Dis Box for short), say a tamper burst the cable between the AWS and the dis box, then we would only have to replace a short piece of cable instead of either replacing the whole length back to the loc or jointing in a new piece. Also allows us to fully remove equipment and cable for PW work instead of leaving it coiled up at the side of the line where it could be damaged.
Yellow - AWS, from left to right, ramp - electro-magnet - permanent magnet - ? possibly another permanent, not seen anything like it before - ramp

MadMac

Blue - TPWS Crate
Red - Disconnection Box (Dis Box for short), say a tamper burst the cable between the AWS and the dis box, then we would only have to replace a short piece of cable instead of either replacing the whole length back to the loc or jointing in a new piece. Also allows us to fully remove equipment and cable for PW work instead of leaving it coiled up at the side of the line where it could be damaged.
Yellow - AWS, from left to right, ramp - electro-magnet - permanent magnet - ? possibly another permanent, not seen anything like it before - ramp

The magnet on the right is an older style of electromagnet. On the “dis box”: IIRC, the original thinking was to use these in conjunction with pre-moulded cables which would be a standard length.

ComUtoR

Established Member

looks like the setup you get on a reversible line. I've seen a few AWSs set up like that.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A disconnection box & tails must also mean there’s no or reduced need to enter the equipment during installation, it can be factory sealed with standard tails. You can then connect to main run cables of whatever size is necessary to minimise volt-drop, and make that connection at a convenient position for maintenance activities?

Legolash2o

Thanks!

It was at Doncaster Platform 4. I was trying to notice anything different since the recently completed W12 clearance to Immingham and wondered what they were.

I wonder why the AWS is covered in oil.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Most things on the track are covered in oil and in, er, other things (note the white bits). This is particularly so where train stop for longer - the adjacent fast line is much cleaner. The AWS magnet is also collecting iron filings.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Thanks!

It was at Doncaster Platform 4. I was trying to notice anything different since the recently completed W12 clearance to Immingham and wondered what they were.

I wonder why the AWS is covered in oil.

it will have been there for a while and had every diesel train within 200 miles run over it and drop a bit of oil on it every time they pass. It isnt a problem ( until you want to get it out of the ground)

Ken H

On Moderation
A disconnection box & tails must also mean there’s no or reduced need to enter the equipment during installation, it can be factory sealed with standard tails. You can then connect to main run cables of whatever size is necessary to minimise volt-drop, and make that connection at a convenient position for maintenance activities?
is there a plug and socket in the disconnection box so the AWS kit is 'plug and play' or are there junction boxes needing screwdrivers etc?

Ken H

On Moderation
looks like the setup you get on a reversible line. I've seen a few AWSs set up like that.

I think the track is normally for trains running left to right. First they pass the square box that has an electro magnet in it, usually de-energised. Then the permanent magnet - you can see the square of iron filings in the middle. Then the electro magnet that is energised when the signal is clear.
If the train is running the other way, it sees the electro magnet, de-energised, then the permanent magnet, then the square electro magnet which is energised.

An energised electro-magnet passed after the permanent magnet gives a clear indication.
How the train knows the square magnet that supresses the caution AWS indication is to supress and not give a clear indication (Bell) I dont know.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
is there a plug and socket in the disconnection box so the AWS kit is 'plug and play' or are there junction boxes needing screwdrivers etc?
I think that’s the case with new or recent equipment installations, and that’s not just AWS and similar kit, I think there was an article in rail engineer magazine about it a while ago, I’ll have a search, here’s a couple of articles from a few years ago:
https://www.railengineer.co.uk/2013/09/27/signalling-plug-and-play-cabling/
https://www.railengineer.co.uk/2014/03/08/signalling-innovations-lineside/

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think the track is normally for trains running left to right. First they pass the square box that has an electro magnet in it, usually de-energised. Then the permanent magnet - you can see the square of iron filings in the middle. Then the electro magnet that is energised when the signal is clear.
If the train is running the other way, it sees the electro magnet, de-energised, then the permanent magnet, then the square electro magnet which is energised.

An energised electro-magnet passed after the permanent magnet gives a clear indication.
How the train knows the square magnet that supresses the caution AWS indication is to supress and not give a clear indication (Bell) I dont know.
The permanent and electro magnets are opposite magnetic poles (but I don't recall which is which!). I assume the suppressor electromagnet is the same magnetic pole as the main electromagnet, and is more powerful than the permanent magnet. When a route is set in the direction not requiring any indication then the signalling energises the suppressor which cancels out the permanent magnet, so that the train detects either nothing at all or a pole that doesn't do anything without the opposite pole being detected first.

aleggatta

I think the most I could tell you is the blue end does a warning, where as a blue and red does a clear! Still no idea what way round they are though!

Edit: I'm talking about the test magnet for AWS in a depot, not specific colours on track based equipment or the colours of the boxes in the above pic! Still got a bit of nature's anaesthetic running around me at the moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.