• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Track jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomneedham85

Hi,

I am starting a PTS & Track induction course on 12/08.

I have a couple of mates who have done this and seem as though they've landed on their feet and got some good work out of it.

What I want to know is apart from the pts and tic are there any other tickets I should go for at such an early stage of working on the tracks?

Another thing I am struggling to get information on is what advantage does doing a tic really have over just doing a PTS?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alex595

Train operating Company. Assuming your doing it as part of being employed.

Last edited:

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Track work is done under Network Rail, not train operating companies. A valid PTS certificate is a document you are legally obliged to hold if you are working on the track as far as I am aware.
I have no idea what a Track Induction Course is, though my initial thoughts is that it might be one of those qualifications that training companies like to sell in order to make a bit more money out of people though I am willing to be corrected on that one.

Simon_13

who are you doing the course with?? i have recently done a similar course and if its with the same company i did they are a waste of time, the course is brilliant and gets you all the relevant certificates for getting on the rail, but then its down to you to find the work which isnt easy. other companies may be different though?

NinjaJihad

Having TIC isn't that important from my experience. Not sure if you can get a Lookout (LKT) qualification as a blue hat but once you have enough experience the best qualification to have in terms of getting work is to become a Controller of Site Safety (COSS). It is quite an intensive course and can be expensive if you have multiple sponsors, If you are only sponsored by one company they will usually pay for it. Once you have COSS and are prepared to travel you shouldn't have to much difficulty in getting regular work.

tomneedham85

who are you doing the course with?? i have recently done a similar course and if its with the same company i did they are a waste of time, the course is brilliant and gets you all the relevant certificates for getting on the rail, but then its down to you to find the work which isnt easy. other companies may be different though?

I am using a company called Jamsgroup.

Simon_13

I am using a company called Jamsgroup.

o right, not the same company as me then. there is a company called iss labour who are very good at getting work for track maintenance guys so i would strongly recommend signing up with them once you have completed your course. a driving licence is very beneficial also so if you dont have one that also is something you should look to do.
just seen your from manchester aswell, iss labour is in manchester on trafford park road so ideal for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.