• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Traction explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgey12

I've tried the obvious of Google-ING but I just can't seem to find the answers.

I have been asked to move forward with the interview for a TRAIN MANAGER at Bristol Temple meads,

I want to be prepared and understand fully what the following words in the rail industry mean:

Traction - for example 2+4 HST... Can someone break this down so I understand it? And if there's more examples please put them too.

And

Links -

Also,
Has anyone applied recently and had to go through "Zoom" interview? If so, how was it and what questions were asked please? I would like to be fully prepared as its taken a while to get this close.. I don't want to mess it up :).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

100andthirty

Traction: Your example of 2+4 HST refers to a High Speed Train comprising 2 power cars and 4 trailer cars. A high speed train power car is rather like a locomotive with one cab. it has a large diesel engine driving an electrical generator which feeds the four electric motors, two on each bogie. The trailer cars are passenger coaches propelled by and having their electrical supply for lights, air conditioning etc. from the power cars. Every fleet has a class number and HST is class 253. Looking up a class number on Wikipedia comes up with lots of information.

Link: I believe this is a group of staff who form a group who are organised to crew the trains. The pattern of work is called a roster. Others might well be able to improve on this.

I haven't done any Zoom job interviews but do have to use these communication systems a lot. Try and get the camera at eye level. if it's a laptop, try supporting the laptop on some books. Also, don't have a window behind you. It tends to put you in a shadow. Try and be in a quiet place, and, if possible, avoid using a headset but sometimes a headset is needed to avoid echoes. Do a trial "meeting with yourself" the check out the image. Ideally you want it to look as if you're looking the interviewer in the eye as you look straight ahead. This was the advice I gave my daughter who was intervbiewed for a role in Network Rail a little while ago. She got the job!

And good luck.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
In large depots there may well be more than one link, these can simply be to break the numbers down under different managers or where different routes or traction may be worked. Staff in one link might only cover local work and therefore sign sprinters only whereas another may be main line and sign HSTs

Undiscovered

Traction- the train itself. best, in simple terms, identified by numbers on the front and back of the train.
For example 323214 would let you know that its a class 323 train, unit number 214.

These are the trains you can work, as you know where everything is, can operate doors, minor troubleshoot etc safely. Eg: I sign 323s and 170s, but not 153s. If a train rolled up and it was a 350, even if it's over a route I know implicitly, I cant work that train as i don't sign 350s.
Simplified as i can work sharp and pointy electric trains, but not blunt diesel ones.

Link- a rota to cover all the available diagrams (jobs) spare and rest days a depot has. Divided into early and late sides. You'll go into an open 'line' on either late or early side if the link.

You'll start in the bottom link, generally the silly early starts, long jobs and late finishes. You're paying your dues here. Generally sign one/two traction.
You progress up the links by seniority- as a man above you goes, everyone moves up- if they agree to.
If you move up a link, you get a bit easier starts, longer routes, less stops, traction may become more varied.
'Top link' are the old hands. There by service and record. The prime jobs and routes, may sign all traction- to guarantee rest day work, or just 1 exclusive as prestige.

Undiscovered

Your explanation on links is good.
:)
Ta.
Forget to mention that one week you'll be on early shifts, the next on lates. But you'll always be with the same people. There'll be other folks in the depot who you'll hardly ever see as you're on opposite shifts.

Moving up a link is by agreement. If a spot arises in the link above, you can decline to take it. You remain in your link and the man under you gets offered it. You'll still have chance next time around and it doesn't affect seniority etc.

tlionhart

Ta.
Forget to mention that one week you'll be on early shifts, the next on lates. But you'll always be with the same people. There'll be other folks in the depot who you'll hardly ever see as you're on opposite shifts.

Moving up a link is by agreement. If a spot arises in the link above, you can decline to take it. You remain in your link and the man under you gets offered it. You'll still have chance next time around and it doesn't affect seniority etc.
To also add, when you have passed out as a TM, you can find a swap buddy to do a permanent late or early shifts. Again, there’s some staff you don’t cross paths with because of this.

Tomnick

Established Member
Ta.

It's probably worth mentioning that not every depot has a progressive link structure like that. Many places (an increasing number?) have a non-progressive structure where there's differences between links in terms of route knowledge, but the 'rubbish work' is shared out roughly equally between links, with possibly just a starter or training link at the bottom.

Georgey12

Thankyou to everyone has responded so far,

Whilst I'm on the note of gaining information,
What are the differences between:
A conductor VS a train manager?

Has anyone had an interview recently?
Any example questions that may be asked?

Thanks

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Thankyou to everyone has responded so far,

Whilst I'm on the note of gaining information,
What are the differences between:
A conductor VS a train manager?

Has anyone had an interview recently?
Any example questions that may be asked?

Thanks
Conductors and Train Managers are both guards and essentially do the same job.

Conductors work on the local "west" units, Train Managers work the "HSS" long distance stuff and get paid a bit more

Status
Not open for further replies.