• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Beers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan4291

During the summer I started collecting train beers, referring to operator branded beers only sold on their trains. I've got the following 3 so far: -

LNER Hop On Board
Lumo Train Beer
Eurostar Nomad Pale Ale

Are there any more out there for me (and others) to enjoy?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
A great idea. Virgin used to do ‘tilting ale’, but I can’t remember what it is with Avanti.

fgwrich

Established Member
Sadly I think that's it for now. ScotRail did their own I7C Whisky glass for a while (though sadly didn't produce their own branded Whisky for it) while Caledonian Sleeper recently had a very limited edition Whisky produced for them.

DelW

Established Member
Hepworth's of Sussex brew Pullman Ale, but its sale has never been restricted to the eponymous trains.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A while back (several years) there was a guest ale on at the Head of Steam in Huddersfield called Northern Pacer. Can't remember the brewery (think it may have been Ringwood) but it was a light ale at 2.8%abv. Not available on trains though, so it doesn't qualify for the thread but thought it might be of interest. A shame it wasn't available (as far as I know) on the Penistone line Music Trains.

Think there was some ČD-branded beer available from the trolley on some of their domestic loco-hauled services a few years ago, but it may have just been white-label Staropramen.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
A while back (several years) there was a guest ale on at the Head of Steam in Huddersfield called Northern Pacer. Can't remember the brewery (think it may have been Ringwood) but it was a light ale at 2.8%abv.
So cheap, weak as p*ss and no good to anyone? :lol:

fgwrich

Established Member
A while back (several years) there was a guest ale on at the Head of Steam in Huddersfield called Northern Pacer. Can't remember the brewery (think it may have been Ringwood) but it was a light ale at 2.8%abv. Not available on trains though, so it doesn't qualify for the thread but thought it might be of interest. A shame it wasn't available (as far as I know) on the Penistone line Music Trains.

Think there was some ČD-branded beer available from the trolley on some of their domestic loco-hauled services a few years ago, but it may have just been white-label Staropramen.

It may be a rebadged one from Northern Monk - Striding Edge. So gutless and weak, well, I think the description below was spot on! :lol:

So cheap, weak as p*ss and no good to anyone? :lol:
:lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not related to this thread as such, but if you find yourself on BA then Brewdog do a Speedbird 100 IPA for them. I haven't had it for years, what with happily being teetotal, and my can of it was in November 2019. Definitely worth a go if you're on their flights!

I've not seen any operator-only brews apart from the ones listed. There used to be a served-in-First-only Tilting Cider on the WCML, I don't know if that is still a thing but it was very refreshing!

CHAPS2034

Avanti still do ‘Tilting Ale’.
Brewed by RedWillow in Macclesfield.

Toby McKenzie, the owner of RedWillow, used to commute from Macclesfield to London almost daily working for a big corporation until he gave up the rat race and started his now very successful brewery. As one of Virgin's top customers he suggested brewing a beer for the train and the rest is history.

A while back (several years) there was a guest ale on at the Head of Steam in Huddersfield called Northern Pacer. Can't remember the brewery (think it may have been Ringwood
Northern Pacer was brewed by Hop Back based in Downton near Salisbury and was indeed 2.8%. Looking at Untappd, it seems to have been very popular on Tyneside, not exactly close to the brewery... Many low gravity beers brewed nowadays are bursting with flavour.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Avanti still do ‘Tilting Ale’.
It was discontinued for a while, round about the time of the franchise change if I remember correctly, but has since been reintroduced. Produced by Redwillow brewery of Macclesfield.
That one was made by Hopback Brewery. A quick Google search suggests it was prevalent across the Head of Steam outlets at one point.
A brewery in Scotland produced a Flying Scotsman beer some years ago.
That was made by Caledonian Brewery, formerly of Edinburgh. I think the beer might still be available, now brewed under licence by Belhaven.
I've not seen any operator-only brews apart from the ones listed. There used to be a served-in-First-only Tilting Cider on the WCML, I don't know if that is still a thing but it was very refreshing!
I seem to recall that the Tilting Cider was discontinued before the end of the Virgin franchise. Pity, as it was produced by Dunbar-based Thistly Cross, whose cider range is generally superb. Though could still be available in First, I'm only really aware of what's available for The Shop these days.

(Ah, beaten to it on a couple of counts while composing my post!)

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Thanks for the correction on the makers of Northern Pacer, both of you! My guess at Ringwood was purely a guess, based entirely on a vague old memory of the logo on the pump. At least I now know where to look in future!

fgwrich

Established Member
Brewed by RedWillow in Macclesfield.

Toby McKenzie, the owner of RedWillow, used to commute from Macclesfield to London almost daily working for a big corporation until he gave up the rat race and started his now very successful brewery. As one of Virgin's top customers he suggested brewing a beer for the train and the rest is history.

Northern Pacer was brewed by Hop Back based in Downton near Salisbury and was indeed 2.8%. Looking at Untappd, it seems to have been very popular on Tyneside, not exactly close to the brewery... Many low gravity beers brewed nowadays are bursting with flavour.
I’m surprised at the normally excellent Hop Back would put their name to a rather low alcohol brew to be honest. Can’t beat a Summer Lightning on a warm summers (or Indian summers) evening.

LNERs Hop on Board (started off as a Virgin idea) is Rudgate Brewery of York. Shame about the Tilting Cider finishing too - for a while, Virgin also had branded glasses in their First Class lounge, two of which (for a donation to their chosen charity) now live in my house.

Attachments

• IMG_1743.jpeg
    IMG_1743.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4604.jpeg
    IMG_4604.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29

zuriblue

Further afield Südostbahn sell Traverso beer and wine from the vending machines on the Traverso trains (copper colored FLIRTs) used on their long distance routes. (InterRegios from Bern to Chur, Zürich and Basel to Locarno over th Panoramastrecke and the Voralpenexpress from Luzern to St Gallen)

The beer comes from a microbrewery in Uster and the wine comes from a small vineyard in Ticino.

Status
Not open for further replies.