• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train cancelled as "they forgot to rota a driver"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamiescott1

The 1714 half hourly bourne end shuttle was cancelled this evening, so the first one of the evening was the 1744.
On the 1744 the driver (who would have drove the 1714 too) announced that the 1714 was cancelled as "they forgot to rota a driver".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scott1

It does occasionally happen. It shouldn't, of course, but it does, usually human error.

PF19

Happened recently up north too, mistakes happen and it could be the driver went sick etc.. and control never ammended someone else's schedule, ours went from "awaiting driver" to cancelled when it got to 15 late as there wasn't one allocated at all

Phil R

Off topic a bit but in the line if interesting reasons tonight's 1800 Waterloo - Pompey is cancelled because of being replaced by a 'slower train'. Not had that one before! Well if it was a train, albeit a slower one, why didn't it run....?

Established Member
The 1714 half hourly bourne end shuttle was cancelled this evening, so the first one of the evening was the 1744.
On the 1744 the driver (who would have drove the 1714 too) announced that the 1714 was cancelled as "they forgot to rota a driver".

Certainly unusual, but not unknown.

dk1

Veteran Member
Rostering error is always possible. Not intentional but can happen. Speaking as an ex-roster clerk too.

tony6499

Rostering error is always possible. Not intentional but can happen. Speaking as an ex-roster clerk too.
Or someone went sick and someone forgot to cover that train , happens too

Established Member
Off topic a bit but in the line if interesting reasons tonight's 1800 Waterloo - Pompey is cancelled because of being replaced by a 'slower train'. Not had that one before! Well if it was a train, albeit a slower one, why didn't it run....?
Seems to be formed from this service which was cancelled as well.

Spartacus

Established Member

Usual RTT baloney.

74A

You would have thought by the 21st century the IT would be advanced enough to warn you if there is a train without a driver !!

CC 72100

Established Member
You would have thought by the 21st century the IT would be advanced enough to warn you if there is a train without a driver !!
If somebody remembered to take the driver off on the system.

Imagine this - someone phones in sick, Resource Manager makes a mental note of it, then disruption hits and they're re-planning a load of trains on the fly.

But when the time comes around that the train the driver who rang in sick is due to leave.... the driver is still there on the system, but very much not in person.

(I've no idea what happened in this situation, but whilst there are systems which would warn this type of thing, it relies on a human informing the system to begin with - humans are humans and those sorts of things happen!)

Seehof

When I was a driver they once put a roster change behind the place where the notice case doors met so that it could not be seen. It ended up with me and another driver wanting to drive the same train and a service from a different starting point being cancelled because I had not gone to that station to pick up that train. The station supervisor got in trouble for that but I did feel a bit bad about it.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was recently on a TPE service where control hadn't rostered a conductor to take the train on from York. We got a PA from the conductor that was due to be relieved apologising for the delay and explaining that a replacement conductor was on their way and would be with us soon. We set off about ten or so minutes later and then got this corker of a PA from the new conductor:

Welcome on board this late running Trans pantomime distress service to Saltburn. We're trying to call at Thirsk, Northallerton, Yarm, Middlesbrough, Redcar Central and if we're really lucky Saltburn. The reason for the delay is that our control had a mix up and forgot to assign anyone to this service so you've ended up stuck with me.

This appeared to a go a long way to restoring passenger morale following the delay :lol:

Facing Back

This appeared to a go a long way to restoring passenger morale following the delay :lol:
Thats really good. I’d imagine TPE were not impressed if they found out though. Is that the kind of thing that gets you taken aside and had a quiet word with or are they likely to be grown up about it, shrug and move on?

Falcon1200

Established Member
I was recently on a TPE service where control hadn't rostered a conductor to take the train on from York.

Perhaps things are different with TPE, but in my experience Control do not normally roster staff, only stepping in when there is disruption and short notice alterations are required, usually at very busy times when things can indeed get forgotten or overlooked.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Perhaps things are different with TPE, but in my experience Control do not normally roster staff, only stepping in when there is disruption and short notice alterations are required, usually at very busy times when things can indeed get forgotten or overlooked.
Whoever it was then, someone hadn't rostered a member of staff. I'm not sure anything turns on it ;)

dk1

Veteran Member

Our Duty Traincrew Managers take great exception to control getting involved with any rostering arrangements without their prior permission.

CE142

I was recently on a TPE service where control hadn't rostered a conductor to take the train on from York. We got a PA from the conductor that was due to be relieved apologising for the delay and explaining that a replacement conductor was on their way and would be with us soon. We set off about ten or so minutes later and then got this corker of a PA from the new conductor:

It won't have been Control that hadn't Rostered anyone, it would have been the Roster Clerk in the Rostering Department. There the ones that do the Rostering. And, like the rest of TPE are suffering with shortages too.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It won't have been Control that hadn't Rostered anyone, it would have been the Roster Clerk in the Rostering Department. There the ones that do the Rostering. And, like the rest of TPE are suffering with shortages too.
Yes as previously discussed I mispoke. Though again, nothing actually turns on that minor point.

Status
Not open for further replies.