• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Cancelled, what to do next ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Advice is not to travel, but youve already arrived at the station.
That doesn't mean because you are at the station you have to travel. You can choose not yo travel and get a full refund for the ticket.

hkstudent

Established Member
That doesn't mean because you are at the station you have to travel. You can choose not yo travel and get a full refund for the ticket.
Another tricky question is if having Advance tickets for outbound and return.
With the outbound cancelled for whatever reason, can the retailer refuse to refund the return portion, claiming that both advance tickets are related?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Off topic.

the trip was one way.

The toc is seeing it differently, both originally and on appeal. No reason given other than evaluated by automated processes and historical records etc.
its only £11, for 2.. but at this point its about principle.

They removed the scheduled train, the only alternative was a 2 hourly emergency shuttle, same toc. That shuttle ran at 30mph instead of linespeed and arrived ontime to its own 1Zxx schedule, but 90 minutes later than the ticketted train i’d originally booked and they canceled.

Hence the question if i’m right and should i pursue it, more for the point of being right than redress on £11,..but I want to be sure i’m right before getting the red rag out to the bull, but if i’m right i’m feeling a little bullish to go after them for being wrong, hence I want to be sure they are first.

I assume a letter of deadlock is next step ?
You would fare better with your questions if you give more details rather than hypothetical situations.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Drop them an email explaining what you have explained above.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
They are wrong. You arrived 80 minutes late and entitled to 100% of a single ticket cost.
This is unequivocally correct. @Sm5 you should take @Haywain’s advice and the matter should be resolved. Someone wasn’t wearing their thinking cap at the delay repay team I’m afraid.

Kite159

Veteran Member
This is unequivocally correct. @Sm5 you should take @Haywain’s advice and the matter should be resolved. Someone wasn’t wearing their thinking cap at the delay repay team I’m afraid.

Or hoping the OP won't take it further and Avanti gets to keep all the money.

First Group do have a nasty habit of trying to override contract law if they run a revised timetable on the day by claiming any delay claims is against the revised timetable rather than the timetable you booked the ticket against, sadly with a toothless regulator they will carry on getting away with it.

robbeech

Established Member
Another tricky question is if having Advance tickets for outbound and return.
With the outbound cancelled for whatever reason, can the retailer refuse to refund the return portion, claiming that both advance tickets are related?
Yes they can. And they do. Another benefit to the railway. Single leg pricing anyone? There are however plenty of incidents where operators have refunded both parts but usually only when asked more than once.
Drop them an email explaining what you have explained above.
It’s unlikely they’ll budge but hope to be proved wrong.

Tbh I cant really be bothered.
For £11 its not worth the aggro.

This is the issue with the whole delay repay thing, its fundamentally set up to make it not worth it.
This is the railway. They win here.
Someone wasn’t wearing their thinking cap at the delay repay team I’m afraid.
I would say someone is just doing as they’ve been trained. Either by following specific instructions or by following the generic instructions to reject where possible.

First Group do have a nasty habit of trying to override contract law
Overriding any law as they do not apply to the railway.

Dr Hoo

Established Member

First Group do have a nasty habit of trying to override contract law if they run a revised timetable on the day by claiming any delay claims is against the revised timetable rather than the timetable you booked the ticket against, sadly with a toothless regulator they will carry on getting away with it.
From the ORR website:

"Our powers cover rail passengers and the companies they deal with. ORR is a designated enforcer under Part 8 of the Enterprise Act 2002. Our powers enable us to stop breaches of a range of consumer protection laws where there is evidence of passengers as a group being put at an unfair disadvantage. A key set of rules are the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. These prohibit some practices outright, such as misleading advertising and contain a general ban on 'practices which contravene the requirements of professional diligence'."

On the basis that there is an allegation that First Group are systematically breaching contract law, thereby "evidence of passengers as a group being put at an unfair disadvantage" it would appear that the ORR does have the teeth, to be used if needed and proven.

(I am not a lawyer.)

As a general, genuine question; given whatever DfT contract that Avanti is operating at present is it in fact First Group or actually the DfT that 'keeps all the money'?

Status
Not open for further replies.