• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Crash Czech Republic 04.08.21

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAX54

Established Member
Sky News and others are reporting two trains have collided in the Czech Republic, with at least 50 hurt, no more info currenlty.

Two people are reported to have been killed in a train crash in the Czech Republic.

According to Czech news agency CTK, seven people are also in a critical condition following the collision between two passenger trains near the western town of Domazlice.

Reports said 31 other people had suffered injuries in the accident.

The country's transport minister Karel Havlicek said on Twitter that one of the trains involved was the Ex 351, which according to the Czech Railways website is a fast train from Munich to Prague.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Don't have my ERT to hand, but according to VagonWeb that would be:

München Hbf 4:44, Freising 5:07-5:08, Landshut (Bay) Hbf 5:27-5:29, Neufahrn (Niederbay) 5:42-5:43, Regensburg Hbf 6:07-6:15, Regenstauf 6:25-6:26, Maxhütte-Haidhof 6:35-6:36, Schwandorf 6:46-6:54, Roding 7:14-7:15, Cham (Oberpf.) 7:23-7:24, Furth im Wald 7:40, Domažlice 7:59-8:01, Plzeň hl.n. 8:47

Typical consist is a DLB 223, Bdmpee, Bdmpee, ABvmz, Bmz.

Edit 1: For live coverage from Czech Television, try CT24 here: https://ct24.ceskatelevize.cz/regio...ku-se-srazily-vlaky-desitky-lidi-jsou-zraneny

Edit 2: CT24 report in Czech, with translation as follows:

K nehodě došlo na trati číslo 180 spojující Plzeň a bavorský Mnichov, když se zde střetl Západní expres s osobním vlakem typu RegioShark.

„V 8:06 se měly potkat ve výhybně Radonice, což je jen pár kilometrů před Domažlicemi. Západní expres zřejmě nepočkal na vykřižování v Radonicích a vyrazil v protisměru na jednokolejné trati směrem na Plzeň a tam se vlaky zřejmě střetly,“ přibližuje okolnosti nehody reportér ČT24 Jan Beránek.

To potvrdil i ministr dopravy Karel Havlíček (za ANO), když uvedl, že expres „projel návěstidlo v poloze Stůj“.

The accident occurred on line number 180 connecting Pilsen and Bavarian Munich, when the Western Express [from München] collided with a RegioShark passenger train.

"At 8:06 they were to meet at the Radonice passing loop, which is only a few kilometers before Domažlice. The Western Express apparently did not wait for the signal in Radonice and set off in the opposite direction on a single-track line towards Pilsen, where the trains apparently collided, ”explains ČT24 reporter Jan Beránek.

This was also confirmed by the Minister of Transport Karel Havlíček (for YES), when he stated that the express "passed the signal in the Stop position".

LAX54

Established Member
So looks like a head on collision on a single line.

On Moderation
it is. The Munich-Prague express did not wait for a regular crossing with the regional.
Please remind me, who is actually operating the Munich-Prague service at this point? I assume it is a ČD crew, even though the loco has worked through from Germany.

The exile

Established Member
Crashworthiness of the 223 looks a little suspect - or are the Regiosharks really built like tanks?

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Please remind me, who is actually operating the Munich-Prague service at this point? I assume it is a ČD crew, even though the loco has worked through from Germany.

Yes, it would have been ČD. Alex drive the train as far as Furth-im-Wald where ČD takes over.

Beebman

German-language video report from Die Welt from the scene of today's collision (with an incorrect video thumbnail):

TRAX

Established Member
Crashworthiness of the 223 looks a little suspect - or are the Regiosharks really built like tanks?
The Shark is a much more recent design, so it answers the more recent TSI crash standards.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Must confess I was surprised to see such damage to the loco with relatively little to the unit.

Does anyone know where the passenger death was? In the carriage behind the 223 that crumpled slightly or the unit?

Sad to hear both drivers died.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Must confess I was surprised to see such damage to the loco with relatively little to the unit.

Does anyone know where the passenger death was? In the carriage behind the 223 that crumpled slightly or the unit?

Sad to hear both drivers died.
Do we really need the gory details? Show a bit of respect!

Quakkerillo

Gus, they merely asked in which (part of the) train the passenger died. Not what exactly killed them or other details. Knowing where the most (severe) victims are can be interesting to look at from a train safety and crash worthiness perspective. That has nothing to do with 'lack of respect' or asking for 'the gory details'. Unless you know more about YorkshireBear's reasons to ask, I don't see why you, especially as associate staff, need to start with these accusations.
Even if you find that the question was disingenuous, a friendlier approach would have been nicer instead of jumping to conclusions.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Did not ask for any gory details, asked if it had been reported anywhere where they were. Didn't even ask how people died...

Quakkerillo has correctly guessed why I was asking. I was interested from a crash worthiness and safety perspective. Being an engineer I will always be naturally curious as to such things even if it is not directly my area of work. Keeping members of the public safe is a key part of an engineer's job. I don't see the difference between asking now and asking in a week's time on this forum, I didn't ask their family. I don't agree that I have shown a lack of respect at all.

Cheers Quakkerillo.

duesselmartin

Established Member
asking in which train, or even which portion of a train the fatality occured has nothing to do with gory details. It simply shows interest of the crashworthyness of the shark DMU.
Any crash documentrary on telly would be gory on your terms, or even the BBC news.
Sorry for being so harsh but this part of reality. Nobody asked if the lung was punctured, bleed to death or decavited ect. That would be gory.

Status
Not open for further replies.