• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Driver Assessment in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

playmore64

Hi guys,

Hope all is well. I recently enquired whether I would be accepted as a Train Driver in Melbourne, without going through the Assessment stage and was told I would be treated as a new applicant despite my experience here in the UK.

I was wondering has anyone gone through the Assessment stage in Australia or have any information. Metro are currently seeking Trainee Drivers so I thought I'd give it a go!

Thank you for your time guys.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
Could not say for certain , but when the opc visited us at the start or driver training at the start of this year I asked about working abroad , as the gentleman from opc said they worked with companies abroad. He told me that Australia was one such country and so they regard uk drivers quite highly.

playmore64

Nice one buddy, I might drop them another email and see what they say. I rather not go through the assessment process again.

theironroad

Established Member
I'm guessing you already have the right to live and work in Australia. If not, you'll find it hard as I don't think many companies (if any) can sponsor people currently.

playmore64

I currently reside in the UK, my partner is from Aus and I have used her address for this particular role.

I am in the process in submitting my application for Partner Visa and hoping I secure a job for when I next travel back.

I have informed Metro of my situation so hopefully they'll use their discretion.

baz962

Established Member
I currently reside in the UK, my partner is from Aus and I have used her address for this particular role.

I am in the process in submitting my application for Partner Visa and hoping I secure a job for when I next travel back.

I have informed Metro of my situation so hopefully they'll use their discretion.

Ha , think I need to be your adopted son if I am to get in .

FOCTOC

Nice one buddy, I might drop them another email and see what they say. I rather not go through the assessment process again.
If you want to work on Australian railways you have no choice but to take their version of the assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.