• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train drivers role disappearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespa

Established Member
The role of train driver may become redundant in the future as GoA5 or GoA6 etc technology whichever may come in will eventually automate all trains, we're already starting this process with DLR, Elizabeth Line and some tube lines are already driverless with the driver opening and closing door...

I think it will be 15 to 20 years before full automation of all lines, however long it will take it will come in eventually, I can see the attraction of it for TOCs saving wage bills, no strikes, no need to train anybody to drive...

What do you think ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...I think it will be 15 to 20 years before full automation of all lines...
It will take much longer than that; have you read any of the previous threads on this subject?

Also back in 2017 I provided a list:
Here are some more recent examples:

Last edited:

Vespa

Established Member
I wouldn't underestimate the progress of technology, interestingly AI is another technology stream to consider.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can't see a lot of the travelling public accepting it, on a par with driverless cars, what next? pilotless airplanes
The public already accept it as it already exists on systems such as DLR

However it is not likely to happen across the national rail network for many many decades (not "10 to 15 years") due to the complexity and cost.

The role of train driver may become redundant in the future as GoA5 or GoA6 etc technology whichever may come in will eventually automate all trains, we're already starting this process with DLR, Elizabeth Line and some tube lines are already driverless with the driver opening and closing door...

I think it will be 15 to 20 years before full automation of all lines, however long it will take it will come in eventually, I can see the attraction of it for TOCs saving wage bills, no strikes, no need to train anybody to drive...

What do you think ?
Shrewsbury and Worcester are slated to lose their semaphore signals in the early 2040's. Any new scheme installed now has a minimum costed lifetime of 25 years.

By any chance are you a journalist for the Daily Telegraph as I see you use the strike word?

Mikey C

Established Member
The public already accept it as it already exists on systems such as DLR

However it is not likely to happen across the national rail network for many many decades (not "10 to 15 years") due to the complexity and cost.
A self contained system like the DLR or some new metro systems elsewhere, is very different from a complicated railway network crossing the country.

What automation and technology will do though is reduce the scope for human error. Fly-by-wire systems on planes for example haven't eliminated pilots, but they have drastically reduced one aspect of pilot error.

The Planner

Veteran Member

What do you think ?
Not even HS2 Phase 1 will be driverless, there will be someone sat in the cab.

Ashfordian6

Eventually yes, train driver roles will disappear. But I'm not sure the baby boomer generation will see it happen, that is how far off it is.

The biggest hurdle will be the safety sign-off as all the lines quoted are self contained and in effect a sanitised environment. The is not the case on the national rail network.

I see train automation happening as an offshoot of lorry transport automation. There is just not the ROI to develop stand alone train automation system. But it is an easy a cheap development once truck automation is in place.

Moderator note: the final part of this post has been split into a new thread:

Last edited by a moderator:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
TfL have already ruled it out on cost for the "short and medium-term": https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-aslef-boris-johnson-sadiq-khan-b1350150.html

Driverless trains on the London Underground would cost £7bn while still requiring a staff member onboard every Tube, according to a leaked document.

A presentation said to have been prepared for senior Transport for London (TfL) managers said the case for driverless Tube trains "is not financially positive given the high capital costs".

The drivers' union Aslef, which obtained the leaked document, said it proved the idea is a "politically-driven fantasy".

In July, Boris Johnson pushed for the introduction of driverless trains as a condition of a future TfL bailout.

The document said staff savings by removing the driver would be “offset by increased maintenance costs of the additional safety systems, surveillance, security fencing etc required” and that there would still need to be a train operator on every Tube train.

If TfL have ruled it out and that is one of the areas where it would be (relatively) easier to do, that gives you the scale of what is required. Opening and closing doors safely is something harder to do automated than starting and stopping because of all those unpredictable, squishy flesh things.

That is not to say it won't get cheaper to implement in decades and eventually they'll probably be employed as a "train captain" DLR-esque role. But that "eventually" is probably several decades off, particularly for more isolated parts of the rail network. Hard to give timeframes on something so far in the future.

Established Member

What do you think ?

I think I last drove a train to Victorian semaphore signals yesterday morning, so 15-20 years “for full automation of all lines” is a laughably short time frame to suggest. We won’t even have in cab signalling rolled out network wide in that period.

I don’t think train driving is any more vulnerable to AI/automation than many other roles in the timeframes we are realistically talking about… As an aside, no London tube lines have anything approaching unattended train operation, neither does the Elizabeth Line, nor the DLR.

Can't see a lot of the travelling public accepting it, on a par with driverless cars, what next? pilotless airplanes

Pilotless aeroplanes are in some ways easier because of the lack of infrastructure adaption. Still a long way off before we see widespread adoption. Expect it on cargo flights first.

If TfL have ruled it out and that is one of the areas where it would be (relatively) easier to do, that gives you the scale of what is required.

Precisely.

bramling

Veteran Member

What do you think ?

Not really likely, except perhaps on metro applications, though ATO hasn’t exactly progressed quickly on there either - it’s now well over 50 years since the Victoria Line opened, and we’re still at the point where ATO isn’t even close to covering the whole of the Underground, and still with many issues at that.

For ATO to be worthwhile it has to offer an improvement over what we have now. There’s a case to say it, just about, achieves that for metro applications. But outside of that category we aren’t close to that point by a long way, and of note is that we don’t actually seem to be making any particular progress in getting there. To some extent that may be because no one has tried, but that perhaps tells us that no one feels it is worth the trouble.

Worth remembering that whilst there might be some level of saving in driver wages, what happens instead is leverage is concentrated in the hands of those who supply and maintain computerised signalling systems. LU is finding that this can cause massive problems, aka costs, if anything needs to be changed for whatever reason. So you essentially go from greedy train drivers to greedy software engineers, as to whether that makes such a good tabloid front-page I will leave for people to decide for themselves!

Western Lord

Surely the whole problem with the idea of automating trains is the constant advance of technology. Any kit you install will be obsolete inside ten years, so there will be nobody to maintain it and no spares available. You would be ripping old stuff out and installing new stuff in perpetuity.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Surely the whole problem with the idea of automating trains is the constant advance of technology. Any kit you install will be obsolete inside ten years, so there will be nobody to maintain it and no spares available. You would be ripping old stuff out and installing new stuff in perpetuity.
Is there any evidence for this? The DLR has been regularly upgraded and expanded and I e not heard of any consideration for abandoning the driverless aspect? Do you know something I don't?

I really do think that for a self contained system like the DLR it works well; could the system really operate on the current timetable if you ripped the automation out?

The real problem is the complexity of doing so on a national network with a wide variety of routes and train types.

There probably will be more automation on specific corridors but the idea expressed in the original post that the entire national rail network will be driverless any time soon is completely unrealistic, on cost and complexity grounds.

Established Member
The below is a good in depth article on the subject from the excellent London Reconnections website. It is focussed on London Underground, but many of the same issues apply to the national rail network.

Both meaningless and meaningful, the phrase ‘driverless trains’ is a recurring one in London politics. In this piece, we explore the reality behind the phrase and what it means in a London context.

InkyScrolls

What do you think?
I think that's complete nonsense. The last oil lamps weren't replaced till 2017 (at Blea Moor and Settle Jct., in case anyone is interested), and the technology doesn't even exist yet. How can you possibly say we'll see full automation within twenty years?

And regarding 'no strikes'... Even were the technology available, I can't see ASLEF taking 100% redundancy lying down, can you?

bramling

Veteran Member
Is there any evidence for this? The DLR has been regularly upgraded and expanded and I e not heard of any consideration for abandoning the driverless aspect? Do you know something I don't?

There are certainly problems keeping such systems up to date. LU has had issues integrating their various systems together, Jubilee Line TBTC isn’t quite the same as Northern Line TBTC, then there’s SSR CBTC which again has differences. Even the Northern Line ran into issues with Battersea.

None of this is insurmountable, but there is no incentive for suppliers to make it easy, and therefore by definition cheap.

In essence if requirements change for whatever reason, you are at the whim of the supplier as to what the price is.

I really do think that for a self contained system like the DLR it works well; could the system really operate on the current timetable if you ripped the automation out?

If all drivers were trained to and capable of driving to a very high level then maybe, but in practice this isn’t going to happen. I’m not convinced ATO has thus far delivered anything on LU that manual driving couldn’t, with one exception, that being the Victoria Line’s 36 tph. Perhaps one day we will see if the various Thales systems are able to deliver something similar.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There are certainly problems keeping such systems up to date. LU has had issues integrating their various systems together, Jubilee Line TBTC isn’t quite the same as Northern Line TBTC, then there’s SSR CBTC which again has differences. Even the Northern Line ran into issues with Battersea.

None of this is insurmountable, but there is no incentive for suppliers to make it easy, and therefore by definition cheap.

In essence if requirements change for whatever reason, you are at the whim of the supplier as to what the price is.

If all drivers were trained to and capable of driving to a very high level then maybe, but in practice this isn’t going to happen. I’m not convinced ATO has thus far delivered anything on LU that manual driving couldn’t, with one exception, that being the Victoria Line’s 36 tph. Perhaps one day we will see if the various Thales systems are able to deliver something similar.
So basically the conclusion is pretty much as I thought: for intensively used self-contained systems, it can indeed be worthwhile, but for widespread use nationally we are a long way off, and it might never happen.

Nevertheless, it won't stop people saying 'As the DLR is automated, why can't the entire National Rail network be?' and you can be sure this isn't going to be the last thread to be created on the subject ;)

Vespa

Established Member
It's quite possible AI with fast learning algorithms may well make inroads into automations at some point and possibly outpacing human input, we would be entering the unknown with this one.

Bevan Price

Established Member
It will be technically feasible within the next 20-30 years. Whether it will be acceptable by the public is a different matter.

Likewise, after the first two or three serious accidents, it is likely that the public will be calling for a ban on driverless road vehicles.

Rail Quest

It's quite possible AI with fast learning algorithms may well make inroads into automations at some point and possibly outpacing human input, we would be entering the unknown with this one.
As someone currently working in the Tech industry, I fully agree with this. If anything, I can see an AI-based automation system for the railways that would actually work for a mixed traffic railway within the next 10 years.

However, my confidence in the UK railways ability to make such a drastic change couldn't be lower, for better or for worse. I mean, we've seen how strongly the unions reacted to DOO across all TOCs, a wide roll out of driverless technology, one that wouldn't require any operators in the cab during operations, would perhaps see the biggest union reaction I would witness in my lifetime. If the railways had a lot of the same mindsets as modern tech companies then, for better or for worse, my confidence in this technology being deployed in the UK would be a lot higher.

On the topic of driverless trains, I'm neutral as I'd feel equally as safe on a driverless or driver train though I don't believe in mass automations of jobs regardless of its benefits unless end goal is for no one to work as I can't see an economy surviving with such high unemployment rates.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It will be technically feasible within the next 20-30 years.
But may not be affordable or practicable; in any case it's too far into the future to predict.
Whether it will be acceptable by the public is a different matter.
It's been acceptable on the DLR since 1987; the DLR is very popular with passengers and I've never seen any evidence of anyone put off using it.
Likewise, after the first two or three serious accidents, it is likely that the public will be calling for a ban on driverless road vehicles.
Best discussed in another thread as it's a totally different topic.

bramling

Veteran Member
As someone currently working in the Tech industry, I fully agree with this. If anything, I can see an AI-based automation system for the railways that would actually work for a mixed traffic railway within the next 10 years.

However, my confidence in the UK railways ability to make such a drastic change couldn't be lower, for better or for worse. I mean, we've seen how strongly the unions reacted to DOO across all TOCs, a wide roll out of driverless technology, one that wouldn't require any operators in the cab during operations, would perhaps see the biggest union reaction I would witness in my lifetime. If the railways had a lot of the same mindsets as modern tech companies then, for better or for worse, my confidence in this technology being deployed in the UK would be a lot higher.

On the topic of driverless trains, I'm neutral as I'd feel equally as safe on a driverless or driver train though I don't believe in mass automations of jobs regardless of its benefits unless end goal is for no one to work as I can't see an economy surviving with such high unemployment rates.

I’m not convinced the tech industry is quite far enough forward for all this automation.

Just looking at some of the real-life ATO/ATP systems we have on real railway systems in Britain now, the attitude of the suppliers is abysmal. Bugs galore, albeit to be fair not safety-related (most of the time, anyway), but worse is the attitude when such issues are pointed out. Essentially “send it over and we might have a look at it when we can be bothered, in the meantime here’s a workaround and to hell if the workaround plays havoc with running your railway”.

I’ve no doubt we could have all this automation, but there’s an element of reinventing the wheel with all this. It doesn’t help that political stuff gets injected into the mix - for example the classic Johnsonite rubbish like “let’s embrace technology to get rid of those nasty unionised train drivers”, without actually considering that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the fence.

Fragezeichnen

I worked for a major train manufacturer, creating some prototypes for self driving rail vehicles.

I don't see full automation happening any time soon. Due to the vast amount time and money poured into self driving car technology, excellent collision detection sensors are available, but they only work up to 80m because that's all cars need. It's not nearly enough for rail use. Right now I don't see in the industry any serious push to put in the amount of investment that would be necessary to develop a solution. The Cruise self driving company has 2000 staff and has spent several billions of dollars on technology development. I just don't see the industry stepping up to do something similar for rail.
There is no real demand for it, partly because of fear of union trouble, but also because it doesn't offer any major operational advantages over an non-collision detection ATO with a human supervisor.

There is also the question of how "safe" we expect a "safe" self driving train. For computerised interlockings the answer is easy, perfect safety or as close is as reasonably possible. However, even the world's greatest train driver will not be able to avoid all collisions, far from it.

a) highly controlled closed system metro systems
b) fully automated limited low speed operations with no-on board e.g. shunts to/from reversing sides or depot shunts
c) collision detection assistance for trams and shunting locomotives

Sorcerer

I think the consensus is very much that driverless trains will only be a thing on self-contained single-traffic systems such as the DLR but roll out on the National Rail network would be too costly and complicated. I don't think long term there would be much public discourse surrounding it since there are already successful driverless metros across the world such as Dubai and some lines in Paris, and I suspect if anyone is going to raise concerns about safety it'll most likely be the unions opposed to the introduction by principle similarly to their opposition to Driver Only Operation (but that's a separate and already widely covered discussion).

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It will be technically feasible within the next 20-30 years. Whether it will be acceptable by the public is a different matter.

They have completely unstaffed trains ( i.e. no on board staff at all ) in Paris on Metro lines 1, 4 and 14 and the first of these has been thus for 25 years ( Line 14 opened in October 1998 ) - but these are totally self contained lines with no junctions and everything calling at every station; the difficult bit with full automation would be to avoid issues with junctions and differential service patterns.

Yes, I know the DLR has junctions but the service patterns are still much simpler than on the main line - there is no differential performance, no looping, no mixture of stopping patterns.

Incidentally, all the highly publicised incidents with the DLR in its early years occurred while the trains were being manually driven.

I'd agree the self driving cars are proving to be a bit of a disaster.

Established Member

People have been saying that since the DLR opened 35 years ago, and probably since the Victoria line opened over half a century ago.

They have completely unstaffed trains ( i.e. no on board staff at all ) in Paris on Metro lines 1, 4 and 14 and the first of these has been thus for 25 years ( Line 14 opened in October 1998 ) - but these are totally self contained lines with no junctions and everything calling at every station; the difficult bit with full automation would be to avoid issues with junctions and differential service patterns.

Yes, I know the DLR has junctions but the service patterns are still much simpler than on the main line - there is no differential performance, no looping, no mixture of stopping patterns.

Incidentally, all the highly publicised incidents with the DLR in its early years occurred while the trains were being manually driven.

I'd agree the self driving cars are proving to be a bit of a disaster.

Thing is, as per the article I linked to above, the question is what does “driverless” mean, and what is it intended to actually achieve?

Only a tiny number of legacy metro systems have been converted to full unattended train operation (the Paris lines are an example of this), which is where the staff savings would be. This is likely to require massive investment in universal platform edge doors etc. and is many decades away on the tube, let alone the mainline.

If your version of “driverless” means you still end up with a member of staff on the train (either in a cab, a la LU, or roving through the train as per DLR), you have incurred all the expense of conversion only to wind up with the same number of staff required as a traditional DOO mainline train. Those staff will expect to be paid a salary, will need to be rostered, to have breaks and may well be unionised etc. So the savings are unlikely to justify the (massive) cost of conversion.

There are also issues with ATO still not necessarily being able to beat a driver in mainline conditions, as opposed to LU type situations. @bramling has usefully expanded on these matters before, in particular in the thread @yorkie linked to above:

So it’s pretty easy to see why there’s no real impetus to push ahead with “driverless” - least of all at a time when the railway is being starved of funding.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
If your version of “driverless” means you still end up with a member of staff on the train (either in a cab, a la LU, or roving through the train as per DLR), you have incurred all the expense of conversion only to wind up with the same number of staff required as a traditional DOO mainline train. Those staff will expect to be paid a salary, will need to be rostered, to have breaks and may well be unionised etc. So the savings are unlikely to justify the (massive) cost of conversion.
Indeed - and we have the DLR proving susceptible to strike action as it is, so... unless things go over completely to Paris style automation, there is zero point in spending anything beyond the ATO signalling systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.