• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

T163R

Hi :)

I was wondering why british trains had "day" headlights and "night" headlights.
What does it change to have the headlight on the right or the left side ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDK

Established Member
Hi :)

I was wondering why british trains had "day" headlights and "night" headlights.
What does it change to have the headlight on the right or the left side ?

Headlights on trains are specifically there so workers on the track can see the train coming, the night headlight is also there to illuminate any retro reflective signs so therefore on the left. It is useful as if one fails you always have the other to use, if there was only one it would be 20mph until a portable headlight could be utilised.

O L Leigh

Established Member
The day and night beam are angled differently. The day beam is angled across towards the cess where the night beam is angled to shine along the cess. As TDK says, this makes the night beam more effective in illuminating signs.

O L Leigh

TGV

On class 373 there are 3 running lights - one left, one right and the "cyclops" centre light above the windscreen. All are on if leading - there is no night setting.

TDK

Established Member
On class 373 there are 3 running lights - one left, one right and the "cyclops" centre light above the windscreen. All are on if leading - there is no night setting.

I think the question was referring to Healights and not marker lights

TGV

I think the question was referring to Healights and not marker lights

Just - re-read it, and I agree. Oh well, now there's an additional bit of info if he wanted it. We have no "headlights" in that respect as it's either all clear lights on if leading, irrespective of time of day, or both red lights on if trailing. There is an emergency "alternate flashing" setting as well.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just out of curiosity why do modern trains such as 185s have these cyclops lights?

route101

Established Member
My favourite light is the red lanterns on the back of loco stock.

buses7675

EU Inter-Operability Standards requirements.

Hi All,

Although a minor point, I wonder why the class 139 Parry People Movers don't have to have the extra top marker lamp like all other stock?

Is that as the line they are on is self enclosed and only on a 20mph limit anyway?

Cheers

buses7675

Dennis

Established Member
Out of interest, whats the story behind WIPAC light clusters? 15-25 years ago these seemed mandatory, even being retrofitted to a Deltic.

However, new stock mostly has individually designed clusters (which no doubt cost a horrendous amount of money to replace compared with a standardised design).

Southern Dvr

On a 377/5 iirc the cyclopse tells you if it is drawning power or not.

The cyclops light being unlit means the unit is not healthy. As a driver going the other way you are 'supposed' to advise the signaller of the fact if you see a train without a cyclops on.

With 377s it usually means you have a traction package out.

Status
Not open for further replies.